IGNORED

My Swing (Crim)

Crim

I see that on my takeaway, my club face is open whereas the other golfer's is closed. Would it help at all to think about the clubface...and keeping it closed? Would that help the takeaway? Or should I not be thinking about the face at all?

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I see that on my takeaway, my club face is open whereas the other golfer's is closed. Would it help at all to think about the clubface...and keeping it closed? Would that help the takeaway? Or should I not be thinking about the face at all?

Yes, I think that Rickie Fowler video talks about that doesn't it? Feeling less rotation of the forearms or even counter rotating the forearms. Forearms are important to what is going on with the face.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, I think that Rickie Fowler video talks about that doesn't it? Feeling less rotation of the forearms or even counter rotating the forearms. Forearms are important to what is going on with the face.

Awesome, thanks mvmac. This is what I'll be working on this week.

Joel Holden

• 2 months later...

I had two weeks of great golf and now I'm back to two weeks of slicing every other shot. I'm still not sure how to critique my swing so I figured I'd hit some shots and post the slices to see what I'm doing wrong.

It still doesn't look like I'm on plane, and still bending my knees too much? Sorry for the poor video. Also forgot to bring my golf shoes, I don't think it would have mattered much. Any help is appreciated.

Joel Holden

I had two weeks of great golf and now I'm back to two weeks of slicing every other shot. I'm still not sure how to critique my swing so I figured I'd hit some shots and post the slices to see what I'm doing wrong.Β  It still doesn't look like I'm on plane, and still bending my knees too much? Sorry for the poor video. Also forgot to bring my golf shoes, I don't think it would have mattered much. Any help is appreciated.

You're coming in very steep on the down swing, but you knew that.. It also looks like you aren't really getting good contact either.. You are also probably not getting your weight forward enough.. I can see that right around impact you are basically on the ball of your right foot.. You never see any good golfer get on the ball of his right foot, they usually bank it and then turn over on their toes.. You obviously need to work on your path, but before you do that you need to work on your contact and weight forward.. It seems like you have a pretty good pivot, but I can't tell from the DL,, if you post a FO it would be helpful.. You also seem to really just pull out of your shot on the downswing, but I'm not sure.. For now you could try the banking the right foot drill and taking quarter deimgs trying to make good contact and see how that goes.. I bet if you put up a FO others will be able to give you good advice.. ps please remember all the above is based on my opinion and limited knowledge of the golf swing and what I have seen over and over from others..

:adams:Β / :tmade:Β / :edel:Β / :aimpoint:Β / :ecco:Β / :bushnell:Β /Β :gamegolf:Β /Β 

Eyad

You're coming in very steep on the down swing, but you knew that.. It also looks like you aren't really getting good contact either..

You are also probably not getting your weight forward enough.. I can see that right around impact you are basically on the ball of your right foot.. You never see any good golfer get on the ball of his right foot, they usually bank it and then turn over on their toes..

You obviously need to work on your path, but before you do that you need to work on your contact and weight forward.. It seems like you have a pretty good pivot, but I can't tell from the DL,, if you post a FO it would be helpful..

You also seem to really just pull out of your shot on the downswing, but I'm not sure..

For now you could try the banking the right foot drill and taking quarter deimgs trying to make good contact and see how that goes..

I bet if you put up a FO others will be able to give you good advice..

ps please remember all the above is based on my opinion and limited knowledge of the golf swing and what I have seen over and over from others..

Thanks abu, I'll work on the drill and getting my weight forward. I think I pretty much have to work on everything. That's why I made a "i think I need to completely start over" thread a while back. But then all of a sudden I started hitting the ball well.

I'll try to get some better video this week.

Joel Holden

Agree with @Abu3baid , shaft gets too steep on the downswing. Would recommend practicing the downswing like this, shaft needs to shallow, bow the lead wrist as the weight transfers.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for the help mvmac. Im still having a ton of trouble getting on plane and squaring up the clubface. My brother said he thinks about "delivering the pizza" when he gets to steep. I have no idea what the hell hes talking about haha. For someone with my problems...do you guys suggest a specific club to practice with until I get it right? Or does it not matter

Joel Holden

• 4 months later...

It's been a while, my swing has become more consistent, a tad bit more on plane I think. I haven't hit a slice in a lonnnng time, I think it was a grip issue. I still hit more fades than draws no matter what I do.

This is a 5 iron from behind and from the side. Not very good camera views but it's what I had to deal with today.

Also filmed a couple drives. I play an open stanced fade (it's really a "controlled slice") because I know where it will go. The trouble is, I can only hit it 210 yards. I'm trying to work on hitting a draw (2nd swing) but it still eludes me...and it still slices. I popped that one up.

I've very appreciative of any tips/thoughts!

Joel Holden

Jeez, Crim - you've come a long ways in the last year.Β  Nice work.Β  Knees are still busy, but so much improved.

Bill -Β 

Jeez, Crim - you've come a long ways in the last year.Β  Nice work.Β  Knees are still busy, but so much improved.

Nice! thanks. Yeah considering in June/July I wasn't even positive if I was a righty or a lefty, I've been pretty happy with the progress over the last few months. I was hoping to break into the high 80's in Autumn but when you can only drive the ball 210 yards, it makes that very difficult. Got quite a few low 90's though.

I don't know what to do about them knees, need to get some type of brace to hold them straight and keep them from moving all over the place.

Joel Holden

It's been a while, my swing has become more consistent, a tad bit more on plane I think. I haven't hit a slice in a lonnnng time, I think it was a grip issue. I still hit more fades than draws no matter what I do.

This is a 5 iron from behind and from the side. Not very good camera views but it's what I had to deal with today.

Also filmed a couple drives. I play an open stanced fade (it's really a "controlled slice") because I know where it will go. The trouble is, I can only hit it 210 yards. I'm trying to work on hitting a draw (2nd swing) but it still eludes me...and it still slices. I popped that one up.

I've very appreciative of any tips/thoughts!

Hips more open at impact, more extension,

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple 3w shots because that's the hardest club for me to hit. I'm trying my damnedest to calm my legs/knees down...still looks the same :(

You can also see that although i'm more on plane then when I first started this thread...I'm still slicing the longer clubs. The last shot is 5iron.

The next video I'll upload will be me trying to get better extension and slowing everything down. I'll also get a side view next time.

Joel Holden

Here's a couple 3w shots because that's the hardest club for me to hit. I'm trying my damnedest to calm my legs/knees down...still looks the same :(

You can also see that although i'm more on plane then when I first started this thread...I'm still slicing the longer clubs. The last shot is 5iron.

The next video I'll upload will be me trying to get better extension and slowing everything down. I'll also get a side view next time.

Great progress in one year!

To me, it still looks like the club is getting away from you a bit at the top of your backswing. Certainly it is dipping past horizontal.

As Jetfan said, the left shoulder needs to come down and in more on the backswing. I'm working on the same thing.

Chris.:roll:

First thing I would do is get the shoulders inline with the hips and knees. Your shoulders are aimed well left and that'll result in the path being left.

Couple more things I would do.

- Check out this thread

- Post a face-on video

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks Mike & Chris, I practiced better shoulder alignment today and it helped on the majority of the shots I hit. A few of the 3w's i hit today even appeared to have a slight draw to them. I hate hitting into a wall, it's difficult to tell your shot shape.

I also thought about something Michael Breed said recently, keep your chest pointing toward the ground. I believe this gave me better rotation.

I should be able to film and post a new video tomorrow.

Joel Holden

• 1 month later...

In laws bought my son a brand new driver today. He'll have his on swing thread in a decade, now I just need to teach him to swing at the right object.....

Joel Holden