IGNORED

Range Finders

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 3644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This one, really good value for the money. Never had any problems and the battery is insane!

http://www.pargate.com/

waterproof and everything! Like this better than the Bushnells altought I have not tried the newest ones from them..

I have the 2000 tpx

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first read it, it sounded like a baiting comment without any qualifying/supporting argument.   I chucked it as another arrogant low capper's comment on those of us who picked up golf later in life and are struggling with it.

Yes..I was just baiting.  LOL

Both have their value.  I prefer to point and shoot to get exact yardages whether it be the flag, top of a bunker, or to measure carry over a ravine.  With that said, lasers do have their short-comings when there is no clear sight line.   With GPS, front,  middle, and back yardages can be little help depending on the layout of the green complex.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'd love to get a rangefinder but it's so low on my priority of things to get for gold - irons and an Edel putter come to mind.

For now, the GPS app on my phone seems to work quite well, although my friends give me odd looks at times when I tell them the yardage and yardage marker on the course tells them something different.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both have their value.  I prefer to point and shoot to get exact yardages whether it be the flag, top of a bunker, or to measure carry over a ravine.  With that said, lasers do have their short-comings when there is no clear sight line.   With GPS, front,  middle, and back yardages can be little help depending on the layout of the green complex.

I think the usefulness of GPS over laser etc depends a lot on the type of greens you regularly play. The greens i play are very small compared to what i suspect a lot you people from the US are used to. I think the longest green at my course is 20yrds and certainly no more. Therefore for me GPS is most useful as the front, middle and back distances can be used to work out a flag yardage to within 3 yards very easily.

On the other hand if you play on very large and deep greens then the front, back, middle yardages could still be 10 yards off from the flag yardage in which situation a laser would be more useful i would say.

Also GPS works better for >200 yards so im told. A few people i see from 200 yards sometimes struggle to get a yardage on a flag, missing a and getting the hedge over the green for example. But again with GPS you can't measure distances to dogleg corners etc unless they've been mapped, where as you could with a laser.

Henry

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

When I first read it, it sounded like a baiting comment without any qualifying/supporting argument.   I chucked it as another arrogant low capper's comment on those of us who picked up golf later in life and are struggling with it.

I carried both for more than a year.  Now I only use a Garmin GPS, not the watch, but the handheld one with full hole graphics.  It gives me far more than just front, middle and back.  I can get quite accurate distances for just about any shot I want, layup or approach, from tee to green, including placing the hole very close to where it is on the daily pin sheet.  I don't need line of sight (also a good thing with the state of my game :no: ) like I did with a laser, yet I can get the yardage to any feature that is as accurate (in any practical sense) as the laser.

As my game gets shorter, being able to plan accurate layup shots is every bit as important for me as having an accurate number to the hole. :-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!