IGNORED

Playing Golf with Progressive Focus Glasses

NuclearMike
Note: This thread is 3863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
I think most people assume "bifocal" means that the change in focus is in the bottom 1/3rd. "Progressive" will make them read a bit more to understand that you have an unusual or rarer (it seems) pair of bifocal glasses.

I can understand your thinking regarding Progressive vs bifocal but.. progressive lenses are bifocal and not unusual or rare.   Most optometrists recommend a progressive  trial for new patients that are experiencing bifocals for the first time.    The missing bifocal line is more pleasing to people worried about their appearance.    With both types of lenses, there is a learning curve.  It takes time for the brain to adjust to the different focal lengths of each.   My brother and wife have both tried the progressive lenses and were not happy with the transition vision.   I've had progressive for about 6 years and could not tell you where the focal lengths change.  My vision is clear from a distance of 20+ feet to within 9".   Progressive lenses aren't for everyone but they do work for me.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I can understand your thinking regarding Progressive vs bifocal but.. progressive lenses are bifocal and not unusual or rare.   Most optometrists recommend a progressive  trial for new patients that are experiencing bifocals for the first time.    The missing bifocal line is more pleasing to people worried about their appearance.    With both types of lenses, there is a learning curve.  It takes time for the brain to adjust to the different focal lengths of each.   My brother and wife have both tried the progressive lenses and were not happy with the transition vision.   I've had progressive for about 6 years and could not tell you where the focal lengths change.  My vision is clear from a distance of 20+ feet to within 9".   Progressive lenses aren't for everyone but they do work for me.

I know. I was speaking more to how rare it is for bifocals (progressive or not) to have the "near viewing" part in the middle of the lens, rather than in the bottom 1/3rd.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Progressives I use are more of a TRI-focal, three separate focal lengths. lower portion is reading distance, middle is generally working distance for reading my monitor and out to about 6 ft, then the upper is distance. Thus the middle sweetspot for keeping my eye on the ball. There is no clear distinction between them. Where before when I had no line bifocals, there was a severe shift from one to the other, and I used single vision sunglasses or contacts to play.

I have always used my Progressives while playing, since I started golfing about a year ago.  And I don't have any issues with them.... or maybe they are the reason why I suck. Thanks for the new excuse.

Driver:     TaylorMade Jetspeed, stiff

Fws:        Taylormade RBZ 5 wood

Hybrids:   TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 rescue 3H

Irons:      Callaway X2 Hot Pro

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 54*/14

Ping Glide WS 58*

Putter:     TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

I had trouble using progressive lenses for golf. After discussing with my eye doc they made me up a set of bifocals with the reading lens cut VERY low. I literally have to lift the glasses up to see through the reader, but it works for the limited reading needed and the ball doesn't seem to jump around like it occasionally did with the progressives. This is definitely something you would have to ask for and explain to most opticians since it is very non-standard. I got mine polarized with a fairly light bronze color and can wear them in pretty much any light I'm likely to be playing golf in.
  • Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I also require a reading correction these days so did struggle with golf some with bifocals.  I won't dispute any comment above but for me I went to contact lens (single vision) plus a single vision glasses for very windy days and don't regret it.  Seems to work for me.  I do have friends that play with progressive lens glasses and they seem to be OK with it and play well.  So I think it is just an individual thing and do what works for you.

I should add that the semipermeable contacts are a lot easier to wear than the hard lens contact and don't require near the maintenance of soft contact.

Butch

Note: This thread is 3863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!