IGNORED

Tour Caddies

Robster 7
Note: This thread is 3809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Of course it matters, because it's using their skill and not yours. They still have to hit the shot, of course that's true, but if you pick the wrong line or club then it doesn't make a difference how pure you strike it. Look,Tour golf isn't a team game, its as simple as that really.

The Rules of Golf allow one to use a caddy.  In a sense, it is a team game from the standpoint of discussing conditions, potential shots, etc...  If the rulesmakers had wanted to limit the input from a caddy, they would have written a prohibition related to providing advice.

In his book, The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf , Richard Tufts not only agrees, but makes the additional point that a caddie is recognized as being associated with the player's side. Except when he has a partner (as in a foursome or fourball), the Rules don't permit the player to have any other person associated with him during the round.

Proof that the caddie is associated with the player's side is further evidenced by the fact that in many cases, the Rules apply equally to the caddie as they do to the player himself.  In fact, Rule 6-1 specifically says that any breach of a rule by the caddie will result in the player incurring the applicable penalty.

The caddie is part of the team.....pure and simple.  How the player makes use of his caddie is up to him as the leader of that team.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

The Rules of Golf allow one to use a caddy.  In a sense, it is a team game from the standpoint of discussing conditions, potential shots, etc...  If the rulesmakers had wanted to limit the input from a caddy, they would have written a prohibition related to providing advice.

In his book, The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf, Richard Tufts not only agrees, but makes the additional point that a caddie is recognized as being associated with the player's side.  Except when he has a partner (as in a foursome or fourball), the Rules don't permit the player to have any other person associated with him during the round.

Proof that the caddie is associated with the player's side is further evidenced by the fact that in many cases, the Rules apply equally to the caddie as they do to the player himself.  In fact, Rule 6-1 specifically says that any breach of a rule by the caddie will result in the player incurring the applicable penalty.

The caddie is part of the team.....pure and simple.  How the player makes use of his caddie is up to him as the leader of that team.

Just last year there was an incident where one of the LGPA caddies "tested" the sand in the bunker resulting in a penalty to the player. Can't remember who or where though.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

In his book, The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf , Richard Tufts not only agrees, but makes the additional point that a caddie is recognized as being associated with the player's side. Except when he has a partner (as in a foursome or fourball), the Rules don't permit the player to have any other person associated with him during the round. Proof that the caddie is associated with the player's side is further evidenced by the fact that in many cases, the Rules apply equally to the caddie as they do to the player himself.  In fact, Rule 6-1 specifically says that any breach of a rule by the caddie will result in the player incurring the applicable penalty. The caddie is part of the team.....pure and simple.  How the player makes use of his caddie is up to him as the leader of that team.

I think I'm not going to win this argument :-D The rules are what they are, my opinion is that they should change that's all.

Just last year there was an incident where one of the LGPA caddies "tested" the sand in the bunker resulting in a penalty to the player. Can't remember who or where though.

Stacy Lewis.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Stacy Lewis.

The sore loser? :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't mind caddies. but if you argue against them helping my answer would be. no help from anyone or any outside agency. no maps of greens, no yardage books no using a range finder. maybe a 150 yard plate and your good judgement.

I don't mind caddies. but if you argue against them helping my answer would be. no help from anyone or any outside agency. no maps of greens, no yardage books no using a range finder. maybe a 150 yard plate and your good judgement.

I quite like that idea. Pure skill. Would sort the men out from the boys! In fact when you think about it, this is the way it should be for those at the very top of the game but for us poor amateurs they would allow range finders etc.

• Administrator
I quite like that idea. Pure skill. Would sort the men out from the boys! In fact when you think about it, this is the way it should be for those at the very top of the game but for us poor amateurs they would allow range finders etc.

With all the money at play they'd still map courses out. It's not like they use range finders during rounds now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

With all the money at play they'd still map courses out. It's not like they use range finders during rounds now.

Yeah probably but it would be interesting, especially the last 9 on a Sunday when there's no caddie to make the decision for you when your head is in turmoil. I wonder how many major championships would've been different with no outside help?

Yeah probably but it would be interesting, especially the last 9 on a Sunday when there's no caddie to make the measured decision for you. I wonder how many major championships would've been different with no outside help?

You realize that all those guys you watch on Sunday afternoon played at a VERY high level long before they ever had a caddie on tour......right? Most of them long before they ever saw a laser rangefinder too. Golf is golf. A caddie can help....he can even hurt if his thoughts differ from your own. But the bottom line is that the player will always have to make a decision and execute the shot.

In David's bag....

You realize that all those guys you watch on Sunday afternoon played at a VERY high level long before they ever had a caddie on tour......right? Most of them long before they ever saw a laser rangefinder too. Golf is golf. A caddie can help....he can even hurt if his thoughts differ from your own. But the bottom line is that the player will always have to make a decision and execute the shot.

Yeah of course and I suppose this is my point. Take away the outside influence and you have the player on his own merits then there is no question. I know it'll never change but it's just something that has niggled me since Stevie Williams gave that infamous interview.

Yeah of course and I suppose this is my point. Take away the outside influence and you have the player on his own merits then there is no question. I know it'll never change but it's just something that has niggled me since Stevie Williams gave that infamous interview.

Again though.....there is no "outside" influence. The caddie is, by rule and principle, part of the side. Would you refer to a football (yours or ours :-) ) coach as an "outside influence", or are they an integral part of the competition? I say the latter..... And yeah, Stevie Williams is an ass!

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

I'll grant you that Steve Williams seems like kind of a tool, but I still don't agree with your position on caddies. Again, I feel that you're just picking an arbitrary point and saying caddies can't help beyond it. If you want to take away outside influences and have players on their own merits, why stop at caddies reading greens? Let's get rid of swing coaches, personal trainers, and sports psychologists. While we're at it, let's make all the players grind their own wedges and configure their own equipment.

Golf may not be a team sport like baseball or football, but it most certainly is not a purely individual effort. Like @David in FL mentioned earlier, the rules of golf not only stipulate that caddies are allow, but they are meant to be part of the "team." Maybe the problem with golf isn't that they allow caddies to influence players so much, but that they don't (as you mentioned) put the caddy's name on the trophy with the player. Perhaps if they did, you would recognize their value.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'll grant you that Steve Williams seems like kind of a tool, but I still don't agree with your position on caddies. Again, I feel that you're just picking an arbitrary point and saying caddies can't help beyond it. If you want to take away outside influences and have players on their own merits, why stop at caddies reading greens? Let's get rid of swing coaches, personal trainers, and sports psychologists. While we're at it, let's make all the players grind their own wedges and configure their own equipment. Golf may not be a team sport like baseball or football, but it most certainly is not a purely individual effort. Like @David in FL mentioned earlier, the rules of golf not only stipulate that caddies are allow, but they are meant to be part of the "team." Maybe the problem with golf isn't that they allow caddies to influence players so much, but that they don't (as you mentioned) put the caddy's name on the trophy with the player. Perhaps if they did, you would recognize their value.

Bill, their value is not in doubt to me and probably completely the opposite. They are an integral part of the pro game to the player and although they are considered an employee by some players, to a lot they are a part of the team to the point where the player says 'we' when talking about he/she played ( I've heard Phil say this before). I think the grey area is that they are recognised as part of the team but not given official credit as such and yes, if their name went on the trophy too I would think it fair. The difference between them and say a swing coach is that once inside the ropes they can influence the decision making process on that day, so although the player has a large team these days including psychologists etc. ( the wife would probably need a mention too) they don't take part in the heat of the battle and give that piece of advice that makes the difference between winning and losing ( mostly on the last few holes on Sunday) I still also think there's the culture in golf where the caddie is a bit of a second class citizen so this is probably why they don't get more credit and official recognition.

They get paid. Just like you and me. That's recognition.

Name on the trophy? Sorry, but no. Just as no individual team member names are put on any team trophy. In golf, I'd consider the "team" to be the player.

In David's bag....

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

They get paid. Just like you and me. That's recognition. Name on the trophy? Sorry, but no.

Poor old caddies eh! They get the blame when the players get it wrong and none of the credit when it all goes right. No wonder they tend to like a drink! :)

Sounds like my job! :-D

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!