IGNORED

Teaching a brand new Player

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys - how would you go about teaching someone that is just touching a club for the first time.

My 14 yr old son has shown NO interest his whole life, but thankfully now wants to learn.

I'm thinking of setting him up with a 7-iron and just having him do little 1/4 to 1/2 swings to make consistent contact with the ball, and get the idea. (after showing him proper grip, etc).

Then slowly work up to big swings... Heck I have no idea.

Any suggestions?

I would teach him from the hole backward. Teach him to putt with a flat left wrist. Then teach him to make a small pivot and hit through the ball while chipping. Then wrist hinge and pivot for a pitch, finally add lag for a full swing. Let him work on each step until he is pretty good at it before moving on. A good book you could use as a guide is Bobby Clampett's "Impact Zone"

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Let him take some lessons of an pro.
In my opinion the most important skill to have in golf is a good basic swing with a strong foundation - the swing you use when everything is going the wrong way.
That type of basic is best to be taught by a pro.

Well thats my $0.02
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21º Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52º, 56º,60º Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

I would teach him from the hole backward. Teach him to putt with a flat left wrist. Then teach him to make a small pivot and hit through the ball while chipping. Then wrist hinge and pivot for a pitch, finally add lag for a full swing. Let him work on each step until he is pretty good at it before moving on. A good book you could use as a guide is Bobby Clampett's "Impact Zone"

I agree with the hole backward part. But instead of all the technical explanation I would focus on setup, posture and grip. Then let him just observe good players and try to mimic how they use their bodies, kids just seem to learn quicker that way. After you see what he naturally tends to do (single or two plane, body or arm swinger, handsy etc., start introducing technique in small doses, or point out good golfers with the same tendancies and make observational points on how they do it.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

IF you really want to DO IT RIGHT, buy Brian Manzella's video called "Do It Right" it is a step by step approach to teach the beginner.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

i can give you it from his perspective, im 15 so a year older than your son. I learned at 5 but i know what it can be like learning at 14. first of all, take it easy. Dont make it too serious, although this is where he needs to learn make it fun, dont be serious.

Second, let him swing how he thinks he should do it. Tell him to swing on how it feels it should be. As he gradually continues to play the game he will watch and learn. At times if you know about the concepts of the swing give him pointers on some glitches that could be fixed in his swing. Take him to the range for a bit until he starts making good contact with the ball. If he doesn't want to take lessons dont make him. Let him learn on his own. 1) It can be alot more fun 2) If he doesnt like lessons it wont take away interest in the game if he does take them.

What I'm saying is more like a Go with the Flow type of style. If you go together you can point out the concepts of your swing and he will learn from watching you. At first he is going to get frustrated with the game because he won't be good at it. Encourage him to keep trying and make it fun. Joke around on the course a little and have fun. The most important thing as you go along, is teach him etiquette (sp?). ON the other hand, if he wants lessons, do that combined with a little bit of your own teaching.

I'm not sure this was what you were looking for. But in my point of view, Starting at that age can be tough, but it takes a good parent like yourself to lead him into the game.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

i can give you it from his perspective, im 15 so a year older than your son. I learned at 5 but i know what it can be like learning at 14. first of all, take it easy. Dont make it too serious, although this is where he needs to learn make it fun, dont be serious.

I agree with Dent.

However, I would encourage you NOT to try to teach a 14-year old, or anyone else, yourself unless you are a Class A PGA Professional. I know my father was doing the best he could, and his heart was surely in the right place, but he taught me several things that simply were not correct. After playing for several years and ingraining faults & bad habits, they are almost impossible to get rid of when one finally discovers many of these golf "lessons" were, in fact, not even close to being correct.

I was sort of in a similar situation. I'm 16 and this is the first year I've really started playing. After figuring stuff out for myself for about a month, i took a few lessons, and heres what the pro had me do. (on the range) Started with a pitching wedge. Set me up with a correct interlocking grip. Chipped,5,10 balls. Took a half swing. 5,10 balls. With each increase in swing percentage, he had my spread my feet out a bit. He then had me grab a 7 iron. Back up to the ball just a bit, do to club length. Feet realtivly close, half swings. Spread them out, 3/4 and 4/5 swings. 5-iron, basically the same thing. 3-wood, back up from ball, nice and easy a few swings. Grab the PW again, and work on short chips, 10-12 yards. Thats basically what we did, if you can find a way to break thaat down, i think it would benefit him, neways good luck to you.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Let him take some lessons of an pro.

I agree with Dent.

Everyones a little different, First I would suggest saving your money if he's just beginning, if you can find one send him to a junior camp, I've noticed that one on one with younger children they tend to get board, and can't pay attention as well as an old teenager. I agree teach him putting and chipping first, you can set up a little putting course around the house, and what my sister and I used to do was make a course around the yard an use whiffle balls. Also at night 5-8 o'clock take him to the driving range and just let him hit balls and have a good time, he's going to get frustrated, it comes with the game but just keep encouraging him he'll pick it up, and maybe a year or so down the road take him to a PGA Pro.

R5 dual, Diamana blue board 63x
980f strong 3
Maltby Design 18 degree hybrid Project X 6.0
690mb 6.5 precision rifle
Spin milled 52 and 58 RAC 56 tp pro platinum 36" ZUR-C

I agree with several points already made, but I think two big ones are #1. Go with the flow. Make it fun and encourage him. I've started doing this with my own son and its seems that he enjoys it more. #2. Teach him etiquette as much as you can. I still like to think of golf as a gentlemans game, although that idea seems to be slowly slipping away.I try to teach my son not to talk while someone is lining up, swinging,putting etc., and to respect the course.I think a kids camp is a great idea. I know that htere are several in my area. That's definitely something to look into. My $0.02

"You're not good enough to get mad. Enjoy the round." Arnold Palmer to Jim Leyland.

Driver: Taylormade r5 80 10.5
Irons: Taylormade RAC OS 3-PW True temper reg flex
Hybrid: Nike Rescue 18* graphite stiff flexWedge: Taylormade RAC 56* satinWedge: Cleveland Tour Action 60*Putter: Odyssey White...

A little offtopic, but how is the normal procedure for joining a golfclub as a beginner in the US?

In Sweden it's more or less mandatory to take a beginners class in both rules and games, and after that you have to take a rules-test (and pass it) after that your trainer looks at your game and allows you to play with a godfather//sponsor and during this sponsorship period you have to record 5 rounds playing at handicap 36. When you achieved these rounds your allowed to play by your self.

Now to be on-topic again: I still think lessons by a pro is the only way to go, if my father ever tried to teach me golf at the age of 14, I would throw my clubs and go home! Heck I would even do that today! But why not go to a pro together where he takes a beginners lesson and you watches what the PRO has to say, then you can spend some time at the range just repeating what the pro said.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21º Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52º, 56º,60º Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!