IGNORED

Boston for New Year's Eve

Foursum Golf
Note: This thread is 3737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First Night in Boston isn't bad, but it's crazy crowded, which is to be expected. Plan on waiting in line for any entertainment, but sometimes the people watching is just as fun.

The Wrentham outlets are very nice, we drive up there a lot to shop, and I highly echo the Patriot Place recommendation since it's pretty much right there. Lots of great shopping there as well.

For food, you can't go wrong in the North End. Stay away from the chain places, some of the best food you'll find are in hole-in-the-wall restaurants.

Russ B.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First Night in Boston isn't bad, but it's crazy crowded, which is to be expected. Plan on waiting in line for any entertainment, but sometimes the people watching is just as fun.

The Wrentham outlets are very nice, we drive up there a lot to shop, and I highly echo the Patriot Place recommendation since it's pretty much right there. Lots of great shopping there as well.

For food, you can't go wrong in the North End. Stay away from the chain places, some of the best food you'll find are in hole-in-the-wall restaurants.

I definitely want to check out Patriot Place. I didn't know how close it was to Wrentham Outlets though. I'd love to see the stadium too.

Will W

It is very nice. You can see right into the stadium.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has heard of it, but that is about it.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Boston is awesome. We spent three nights at the Hyatt (close to the Opera House) and jammed in as much as we could.

Sunday: We took the trolley tour around town the day we arrived. It was raining pretty heavily so it was a nice option to learn a few things and stay dry. We ate at Durgin Park the first night as @ Yukari recomme nded and really enjoyed it. Great prime rib. A lot of charm in that place.

Monday: Spent the morning and early afternoon shopping in Wrentham and Patriot Place. Ate dinner at Summer Shack ( @ Ernest Jones ), explored Quincy Market, Newbury Street, and had a beer at Cheers.

Tuesday: Took the train to Harvard, toured Fenway, and checked out the aquarium during the day. I was pretty gassed at that point, but had to keep going. We had dinner at Boston Chops and it was probably the best steak I've ever had. A bit pricey but overall good experience. From there, we took the train to the Garden for Bruins Game, then out for a couple of beers close to the Garden.

One thing I have to mention is that I was really impressed by how welcoming and nice the people of Boston are. Everybody we spoke to that knew we were from out of town seemed to want to represent the city well. They did a great job. I'll definitely be back soon!

(St. Patrick's day maybe)

Will W

Glad you had fun!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Glad you liked Durgin Park!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

One thing I have to mention is that I was really impressed by how welcoming and nice the people of Boston are. Everybody we spoke to that knew we were from out of town seemed to want to represent the city well. They did a great job. I'll definitely be back soon!

Are you sure you were in boston? unless a lot has changed in 15 years, it is definitely not the same city i remember.

If you think they are nice there, you will find the people in new york city to be overly nice to the point of making you nauseous!

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Are you sure you were in boston? unless a lot has changed in 15 years, it is definitely not the same city i remember.

If you think they are nice there, you will find the people in new york city to be overly nice to the point of making you nauseous!

I think it is just you.  We are nice to everyone else!!!!!

Scott

My Swing Thread

I think it is just you.  We are nice to everyone else!!!!!

Haha. I haven't been to NYC since 2005 so I can't give an accurate opinion. :-)

Will W

I've always found NYC people to be friendly.  I went there for my 50th birthday a few years back.  We had a blast even with a Nor'easter with sideways rain.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I've always found NYC people to be friendly.  I went there for my 50th birthday a few years back.  We had a blast even with a Nor'easter with sideways rain.

I heard about those sideways rains in Boston. We were in one at the Hong Kong airport last year.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I heard about those sideways rains in Boston. We were in one at the Hong Kong airport last year.

It is a bit different than a tropical monsoon in that 10 miles north or south can make a huge difference.  It can be raining in Quincy and snowing in Lexington and they are 15 miles apart with Boston in the middle.  Throw in the NE wind, which can get to hurricane force, and you have nasty, non-golfing weather.  The Perfect Storm, was a 3 day N'oreaster.  It just sat their and pummeled the coast with heavy rain and gale force winds.

The Blizzard of '78 was a 2 day N'oreaster that became what they call a "cold core or extratropical cyclone".  The coastal neighborhoods of my home town of Scituate, MA got destroyed, including my parents house (we escaped in time).  We had sustained 75 mph winds with gusts to 120 in that storm.  We had lightning, transformers blowing up, blue and white flashes in the sky while it was snowing and the wind was howling.  Totally surreal.  The worst part was the forecasters predicted light snow, with one very trusted weatherman predicting, "flurries".  So the fury of the storm was completely unexpected.  21 people died including 18 trapped in their cars on the highway and three in my home town claimed by the ocean.

So the moral of the story is, if you are coming to Boston from October to April, check the forecast .

Scott

My Swing Thread

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71464/boston-for-new-years-eve/18#post_935647"]   I heard about those sideways rains in Boston. We were in one at the Hong Kong airport last year. [/QUOTE] It is a bit different than a tropical monsoon in that 10 miles north or south can make a huge difference.  It can be raining in Quincy and snowing in Lexington and they are 15 miles apart with Boston in the middle.  Throw in the NE wind, which can get to hurricane force, and you have nasty, non-golfing weather.  The Perfect Storm, was a 3 day N'oreaster.  It just sat their and pummeled the coast with heavy rain and gale force winds. The Blizzard of '78 was a 2 day N'oreaster that became what they call a "cold core or extratropical cyclone".  The coastal neighborhoods of my home town of Scituate, MA got destroyed, including my parents house (we escaped in time).  We had sustained 75 mph winds with gusts to 120 in that storm.  We had lightning, transformers blowing up, blue and white flashes in the sky while it was snowing and the wind was howling.  Totally surreal.  The worst part was the forecasters predicted light snow, with one very trusted weatherman predicting, "flurries".  So the fury of the storm was completely unexpected.  21 people died including 18 trapped in their cars on the highway and three in my home town claimed by the ocean. So the moral of the story is, if you are coming to Boston from October to April, [U]check the forecast[/U].

Wow, really wierd weather in Boston.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!