IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't claim to know your finances but I presume, like most of us, you pay to play golf, right?

If so, tax return or not, it's simply a case of "would you rather?"

Would you rather play 72-90 holes (or whatever it is currently) per week, and occasionally waste some time on the driving range accomplishing nothing, all the while shooting anywhere from 85-95 (unless it's a tournament ;)) and almost assure yourself of staying in that rut forever ...

OR ...

Would you rather cut back to 36-54 (or whatever) for a couple of weeks - one lesson isn't going to cost much more than 2, maybe 3 rounds of golf, depending - and learn what you need to practice, AND how to practice it properly, thus almost assuring that you will get better immediately AND set the foundation for you to be able to continue to improve over time?

No offense, but if those are the two choices, you'd have to be kind of a dummy not to see which is better.

I can't begin to count how many times I have had that conversation and what it really boils down to is the person simply doesn't want to put the effort in but would rather complain about the way they play golf, most often after a bad round. @KyleAnthony I think now is the time to be 100% honest with yourself and it's really no big deal which path you choose it's just better to do what it is you want than to say one thing but do something completely different.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

There is nothing wrong with playing a lot of golf if that's what you want to do. But IMO if that's the choice probably smart to shuffle your priorities and goals. Even if and when lessons become a part of his development he should be prepared for the growing pains that come with lessons. I saw immediately improvement within days of my first lessons but soon hit the wall and faced new challenges. My expectations also changed. I'm sure everyone progresses differently but I can honestly say with more instruction and less playing I experienced better scores. As soon as I reduced the amount of instruction in favor of playing more my index spiked nearly two points in a little over a month. Just didn't give it enough time, I assume like many I was impatient and in being anxious I thought I was better than I was. I have an appointment to see my instructor 03/08 and I'm certain he'll have some words about my decline.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't begin to count how many times I have had that conversation and what it really boils down to is the person simply doesn't want to put the effort in but would rather complain about the way they play golf, most often after a bad round.

Ah, so I see you've met my dad??  I even went one step further with him - dragged him (and father-in-law as well) to a half-day clinic - and he was hitting the ball better that day than he EVER has before or since.  EVER.  And it isn't even close.  One, teeny, tiny Key 1 change and he went from a weak pull-slice to a somewhat powerful (for a 66 year old) push, and the occasional push draw.  And, I swear to God that the time from him warming up until he started hitting it like that during that lesson was not 10 minutes.  I don't even think it was 5.

For the life of me, I can't fathom how somebody who claims to love the game and want to play it all the time would be shown that clearly (not just told , like Kyle and others, but actually shown ) how they could improve, and yet still not want to actually make to make the improvements.

The only answer I come back to is precisely what you said.  He actually prefers to have something to complain about.  I don't know what else it could be. :doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopster

I can't begin to count how many times I have had that conversation and what it really boils down to is the person simply doesn't want to put the effort in but would rather complain about the way they play golf, most often after a bad round.

Ah, so I see you've met my dad??  I even went one step further with him - dragged him (and father-in-law as well) to a half-day clinic - and he was hitting the ball better that day than he EVER has before or since.  EVER.  And it isn't even close.  One, teeny, tiny Key 1 change and he went from a weak pull-slice to a somewhat powerful (for a 66 year old) push, and the occasional push draw.  And, I swear to God that the time from him warming up until he started hitting it like that during that lesson was not 10 minutes.  I don't even think it was 5.

For the life of me, I can't fathom how somebody who claims to love the game and want to play it all the time would be shown that clearly (not just told, like Kyle and others, but actually shown) how they could improve, and yet still not want to actually make to make the improvements.

The only answer I come back to is precisely what you said.  He actually prefers to have something to complain about.  I don't know what else it could be.

Well, before I started to learn a proper swing, I could always just say I duffed or shanked the ball. If I could only hit every shot clean, I could be a low handicapper.

Now that I very rarely do that anymore, I can only say I made a stupid decision to hit in so and so direction or what club I chose. It puts it more in the realm of "Why the heck did I do that?" category, rather than the "If the lie was better, if there weren't that much grass in front, I could have. . ." category.

If your swing is not to blame, you can only blame your wisdom or lack thereof.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

For the same reason people sleep late instead of getting up early to exercise, it's kind of like work. Playing golf is fun, practicing not so much for the undedicated.

For the same reason people sleep late instead of getting up early to exercise, it's kind of like work. Playing golf is fun, practicing not so much for the undedicated.

This. Everyone wants to play well and hit one beautiful shot after another at the range. Very few have the discipline or desire to dedicate the necessary time to get to that point. No appreciation for the grind. You have to embrace the process and want to put in the work.

On the other hand, If you're hitting the ball all over the place, I'm not so sure it's that much fun.

This last weekend I had a blowup round of 45 on a par 36 9 hole course. My partners hit all over the place, and hit back and forth across the greens etc. They probably lost count of their strokes because they figured I scored high 30's, and they scored around 45. The point being that they hit so many balls they probably just lost count of their actual score. They also did not look like they were having fun, and would have been much more displeased if they remembered how badly they actually played (estimated at 10 strokes worse?).

If they had a well taught lesson it would seriously improve their chances of enjoying the game. I know this because that was me only 4 months ago.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That would be fine ... but you have to recognize that you aren't trying to get better and you are only out there to have fun.  That means:

No cursing, no throwing clubs, no being unapproachable because you're in a pissy mood because you ****ing suck at golf, etc, etc.  None of that.  If you don't want to try and get better, then you have to expect that you're not going to get better.

I don't wake up in the morning and complain about being fat.  It's my own damn fault that I didn't exercise, and that I ate that donut, so what's the point in complaining about it when it's 100% obvious, it's my own damn fault?

(Obviously those are all generic "you's," mostly in reference to my previous post, not actually directed at you) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

That would be fine ... but you have to recognize that you aren't trying to get better and you are only out there to have fun.  That means:

No cursing, no throwing clubs, no being unapproachable because you're in a pissy mood because you ****ing suck at golf, etc, etc.  None of that.  If you don't want to try and get better, then you have to expect that you're not going to get better.

I don't wake up in the morning and complain about being fat.  It's my own damn fault that I didn't exercise, and that I ate that donut, so what's the point in complaining about it when it's 100% obvious, it's my own damn fault?

(Obviously those are all generic "you's," mostly in reference to my previous post, not actually directed at you) :)

So. . ., I did something about my weight, and golf at the same time!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Yep and there are many out there like that.

... and a round at shore cliff...

Gotcha.  By the way ... don't expect much from this one.  It's not a very nice course. ;)

This. The track itself if challenging, but everything else is lacking. Ever driven through storm drains to get form one hole to the next?

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

So I went to golfsmith to compare my driver to another. Anywho found out some stuff bout my driver. I don't know if they are good or bad but here are the things I learned. These are the averages Club speed - 104 Launch angle - 16* Backspin - 2600 Carry - 255 Total - 270 Are these good, normal, bad? I thought the launch angle was to high which is why I was looking at a lower lofted club

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

So I went to golfsmith to compare my driver to another. Anywho found out some stuff bout my driver. I don't know if they are good or bad but here are the things I learned. These are the averages

Club speed - 104

Launch angle - 16*

Backspin - 2600

Carry - 255

Total - 270

Are these good, normal, bad? I thought the launch angle was to high which is why I was looking at a lower lofted club

Those don't seem too bad at all... I think launch angle might be a tad high (I think most say around 13° or so is ideal) but IIRC, TaylorMade is saying 17° launch angle (with less spin).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Those don't seem too bad at all... I think launch angle might be a tad high (I think most say around 13° or so is ideal) but IIRC, TaylorMade is saying 17° launch angle (with less spin).

I think Golfsmith tends to calculate higher launch numbers than Trackman/Flightscope, just from what I've seen other people post on the forum.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I think Golfsmith tends to calculate higher launch numbers than Trackman/Flightscope, just from what I've seen other people post on the forum.

I got to agree with most of this, I averaged right at 100mph with a ball speed of 146 and carry was right at 250 maybe a bit less but I think the carry might be a little generous though I was hitting it very good that day, swing speed seemed accurate.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

So I went to golfsmith to compare my driver to another. Anywho found out some stuff bout my driver. I don't know if they are good or bad but here are the things I learned. These are the averages

Club speed - 104

Launch angle - 16*

Backspin - 2600

Carry - 255

Total - 270

Are these good, normal, bad? I thought the launch angle was to high which is why I was looking at a lower lofted club

You need to understand that loft is not the final determining factor on launch angle these days. Center of gravity is now playing a big part.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

So I went to golfsmith to compare my driver to another. Anywho found out some stuff bout my driver. I don't know if they are good or bad but here are the things I learned. These are the averages Club speed - 104 Launch angle - 16* Backspin - 2600 Carry - 255 Total - 270 Are these good, normal, bad? I thought the launch angle was to high which is why I was looking at a lower lofted club

I'm curious. What was you ball speed off that? [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/71817/operation-single-digits-2014/558#post_955930"] I think Golfsmith tends to calculate higher launch numbers than Trackman/Flightscope, just from what I've seen other people post on the forum. [/quote] That strikes me as a pretty long carry for a 104mph SS, no? I tend to be a little suspicious of carry/total distance numbers from monitors in places whose only job is to sell golf clubs. KnowwhatImean?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm curious. What was you ball speed off that?

That strikes me as a pretty long carry for a 104mph SS, no?

I tend to be a little suspicious of carry/total distance numbers from monitors in places whose only job is to sell golf clubs.

KnowwhatImean?

I think it's a good thing to be suspicious when they can adjust certain parameters without you knowing.

Using the FlightScope Optimizer , I got about 255 carry. 13 degree launch angle would be 248 carry. 155 ball speed at 13 degrees is 260 yards.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!