IGNORED

My Swing (Mackingchicken)

mackingchicken
Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My head is still dipping during backswing, im really struggling to get the feel of stopping this.

Did you make some swings with your forehead against a wall?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I have been! just cant seem to get it done when off the wall.

Just for fun, go put your head against a wall a do a few swings............ Ok, now run back to the computer and describe, in your own words, what it felt like when you were doing this.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just for fun, go put your head against a wall a do a few swings............

Ok, now run back to the computer and describe, in your own words, what it felt like when you were doing this.

I would look for what feels different that your old swing when your head is not able to move. Its going to feel exaggerated, but you need a comparison.

I like thinking this way because then it helps me remember my old swing so I don't go back to it. I could be on the course and hit a hook and think, "Oh yea that felt like the old backswing a bit, need more up with the hands". Don't want to be doomed to repeat the past too often in golf. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would look for what feels different that your old swing when your head is not able to move. Its going to feel exaggerated, but you need a comparison.

Exactly. There should be some sensations that jump out at you immediately. Try to identify them, maybe even write them down, and then recreate those sensation in a slow swing without your head on the wall and see what it looks like on video. Be patient, you'll get it eventually. Golf is hard but it's nowhere near as hard as macking a chicken, those ****ers are fast!

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ok, now run back to the computer and describe, in your own words, what it felt like when you were doing this.

Exactly. There should be some sensations that jump out at you immediately.

@mackingchicken , do this ^^^^^^^^^^^

Mike McLoughlin

done, lower body feels really constricted like Im forcing hips to stay completely still (Though they are turning).

Besides that couldnt feel any other dramatic changes

done, lower body feels really constricted like Im forcing hips to stay completely still (Though they are turning).

New things will feel different, ect. After awhile, those things will feel normal. I would suggest to keep at what Mike has suggested, he Knows what he's talking about.

done, lower body feels really constricted like Im forcing hips to stay completely still (Though they are turning). Besides that couldnt feel any other dramatic changes

Ok, perfect, now try some SLOW swings where you try to replicate that feeling. Maybe alternate a couple swings like that and then back to the wall drill. Just go back and forth, using video, until you start to see an inprovememt in your head movement. [quote name="Hammer 4" url="/t/71991/my-swing-mackingchicken/100_100#post_964139"] New things will feel different, ect. After awhile, those things will feel normal. I would suggest to keep at what Mike has suggested, he Knows what he's talking about. [/quote] Understanding the bold is pretty key. Make sure you're working towards making the new motions feel normal and not just reverting back to what feels normal but is a bad motion.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Yea that is normal. Just think about how many swings you have taken were your head has moved a lot. This change will feel drastic.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just wondering what is actually causing my head to drop during downswing? Or is that hard to tell from the vid?

I think I've posted something similar before, IMO it's a rates issues, left knee flexes at too fast a rate on the takeaway. Reason why keeping the head steady feels like the hips are restricted. So keep the left knee flex "slower", more gradual.

Mike McLoughlin

Just wondering what is actually causing my head to drop during downswing? Or is that hard to tell from the vid?

I think I've posted something similar before, IMO it's a rates issues, left knee flexes at too fast a rate on the takeaway. Reason why keeping the head steady feels like the hips are restricted. So keep the left knee flex "slower", more gradual.

FWIW, and this may or may not work for you but...I fixed this issue by feeling like my knee flex doesn't change at all until my shaft is about halfway to parallel on the backswing (A1.5 or so), once I get to there my knees start to change flex (trail leg starts to straighten) allowing my hips to turn on an incline but you have to keep it gradual, don't let it happen all at once. Give it a try, working with a camera (as always) and see if that keeps the head from dipping.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Will do for sure. Thanks everyone! will keep working

FWIW, and this may or may not work for you but...I fixed this issue by feeling like my knee flex doesn't change at all until my shaft is about halfway to parallel on the backswing (A1.5 or so), once I get to there my knees start to change flex (trail leg starts to straighten) allowing my hips to turn on an incline.

I think that's a feeling that can work as well.

@mackingchicken , you might even come up with your own feeling but the left knee flexing "all at once" I feel is causing the head to go down.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!