IGNORED

How do you guys play? Worst you can get is double,triple,double par, or count em all.

liveeel
Note:Β This thread is 3711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

He needed to tee off again and lose a stroke. 3 if off the tee and if he did not OB the second. So, I am wondering if you added 2 strokes or more? Worst case, he could have had at least a 6 before deciding to tee off with an 8i or something like that.

The provisional is kind of easier because it allows you to have the feel of the original shot, and take your second right after everyone else tees off. Not hitting one is a really bad idea no matter how you look at it.

I'm guessing you let him off easy.

I gave him an 8, Β basically because I have never seen him hit a provisional - even when told he should. So I doubt that he could hit a second one in bounds after one was out. It was irrelevant - as a *19* index he shot a 118 which will be one of his bottom 10

How does a new guy ever get to know anyone if he always has to play alone? Β Virtually everyone I play with I met either because I first joined them as a single, or they joined my group that way. Β I hate playing alone. Β If I was stuck with that every time I just decided to play on the spur of the moment, I probably wouldn't be a golfer.

We are fortunate at our club. All newbies are pointed towards which group to join. The low HC big money guys, the under 20 HCs, the old guys or my group (the high HC guys.)

If someone wants to play on a weekend morning (before 11:30),Β they need to join up with one of these groups. They can walk on as a single or twosome Β - but they may not be paired with guys of similar skill. The guys I play with are probably the most acceptingΒ of outsiders, but many like to have more cash at stake than we play for - we play low $$$ skins just to bust chops a bit.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just play by the rules...

this ^ ....count every stroke. I am convinced most weekend golfers are not completely honest about their score. I know im not good, but I also know im better then some guys who I play with who (when I do not play with them) later tell me they shot in the 80s for their last round.

this ^ ....count every stroke. I am convinced most weekend golfers are not completely honest about their score. I know im not good, but I also know im better then some guys who I play with who (when I do not play with them) later tell me they shot in the 80s for their last round.

I agree. Β The thing is, once you start not playing by the rules there is a slippery slope of ignoringΒ this rule, then ignoring that rule, and before you know it you are writing down a number that has little relationship to a true score. Β And I still don't get why it is a thrill to write down low numbers not earned.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Well most of the time I play by the rules. Β But there are a couple of groups I play with upon occasion that have "special" rules. Β One has a pick up (mercy rule if you will)Β rule of double par +1. Β The other group I play with upon occasion gives putts inside the leather (grip) of the putter (not long putters). Β I guess this is OK and probably doesn't move a handicap by more than a fraction of a integer. Β I would have to say that the ESC (equitable stroke control) when inputting your scores is more restrictive than the mercy rule and that on most courses you wont' miss many putts of 2' or less. The mercy rule isn't optional when playing with that group. Β In the "inside the leather" group no one objects if you want to putt out as most of that group keeps "official" handicaps.

Butch

I count every stroke and never pick up. For one thing, I really want to know my true stroke count so I can see if I'm improving. For another, it has helped my mental outlook, by forcing me to suck it up and keep digging (sometimes literally :8) ) until the ball goes in the hole. Now that I'm around the bogey level, I feel that if I hit a bad shot, I can control myself, take my medicine and maybe salvage a double or triple, and avoid the dreaded snowman.

Even when I was stacking up the quads, I didn't hold up my partners. I think that's one of the reasons I play fast, is that I had to play REAL fast to keep up with them, since they play fast themselves and are much better.

When I amΒ having a really bad round, instead of doing what so many high handicappers do and tryΒ to somehow fudge my scores on certain holes / neglect rules etc...I simply decide to no longer keep score for that round. If I have a playing partner who is keeping score and has been maintaining mine (while I alway maintain my own as well), I just politely tell them if they wish to continue recording my score for purposes of the round thats fine but I am longer personally keeping my score.

Please know that I am never a sour puss in these instances. Im not throwing clubs and/or pouting with an "I give up" face LOL.Β I do it more so because well... (for ex.) if I just duffed two sand shots in a row and am still in the sand, while my playing partners are ready to putt and there is a group in the fairway then its time for me to pickup. At which point YES, for handicap purposes I could record ESC but if similar instances happen once or twice a round I really don't feel the need to use it as a handicap recording round, instead I just look at it as more of "practice on the course" which can actually turn out to be great practice! (once you have the weight of the score card lifted off your back).

One last thing about these instances. I have shot over 100 a number of times obviously, while my goal is to break 90. If I am having a really bad round where its obvious I will be in the 105-110 rangeΒ - I already know the end result is...I need to practice, see my pro, etc etc. I dont feel the need to know weather I shot 105 or 110. Its irrelevant to me at that point. I would rather just forget about the score card for those last however many holes and be free to focus on my shots, chips, putts without any other concern (meaning score lol).

When I amΒ having a really bad round, instead of doing what so many high handicappers do and tryΒ to somehow fudge my scores on certain holes / neglect rules etc...I simply decide to no longer keep score for that round. If I have a playing partner who is keeping score and has been maintaining mine (while I alway maintain my own as well), I just politely tell them if they wish to continue recording my score for purposes of the round thats fine but I am longer personally keeping my score.

Please know that I am never a sour puss in these instances. Im not throwing clubs and/or pouting with an "I give up" face LOL.Β I do it more so because well... (for ex.) if I just duffed two sand shots in a row and am still in the sand, while my playing partners are ready to putt and there is a group in the fairway then its time for me to pickup. At which point YES, for handicap purposes I could record ESC but if similar instances happen once or twice a round I really don't feel the need to use it as a handicap recording round, instead I just look at it as more of "practice on the course" which can actually turn out to be great practice! (once you have the weight of the score card lifted off your back).

One last thing about these instances. I have shot over 100 a number of times obviously, while my goal is to break 90. If I am having a really bad round where its obvious I will be in the 105-110 rangeΒ - I already know the end result is...I need to practice, see my pro, etc etc. I dont feel the need to know weather I shot 105 or 110. Its irrelevant to me at that point. I would rather just forget about the score card for those last however many holes and be free to focus on my shots, chips, putts without any other concern (meaning score lol).

So what you are saying is that you carry a vanity handicap. ;-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

ha, there is nothing "vanity" about a 22.

It is still a vanity cap. But guys like me love playing guys like you - even if it gets boring taking your cash.

You are supposed to post a 9 hole score if you play 7 holes by the rules of golf and an 18 hole score if you play 13 holes by the rules - if you do not want to post a score, you need to declare it a practice round before you tee off.

In the end, you are only screwing yourself so nobody cares.

Now if you were shooting a good round and did the same thing - there would be a special place in hell for you.

Follow me on twitter

So what you are saying is that you carry a vanity handicap.

It is if it should really be 25...... ;-)

The number is what it is.Β  Sometimes we're happy with it, sometimes we're not.Β  That applies to all of us.Β  But if the number isn't accurate, you'll never have the pleasure of seeing your honest improvement and, as meenman said, if you bet even a little bit with your buddies, you're gonna be giving away some of your hard-earned money along the way!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

So what you are saying is that you carry a vanity handicap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfGuy123

It is if it should really be 25......

The number is what it is.Β  Sometimes we're happy with it, sometimes we're not.Β  That applies to all of us.Β  But if the number isn't accurate, you'll never have the pleasure of seeing your honest improvement and, as meenman said, if you bet even a little bit with your buddies, you're gonna be giving away some of your hard-earned money along the way!

Yep. Β I'd much rather be able to postΒ the 11-12 that I had when I first joined this forum, but unfortunately, that just isn't how I play any more. Β My handicap is a legitimate calculation based on playing 7 rounds after a 16 month period when I never even touched a club. Β That along with my age progressing into the upper 60's makes my swing a bitΒ of a crap shoot any more.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It is still a vanity cap. But guys like me love playing guys like you - even if it gets boring taking your cash.

You are supposed to post a 9 hole score if you play 7 holes by the rules of golf and an 18 hole score if you play 13 holes by the rules - if you do not want to post a score, you need to declare it a practice round before you tee off.

Now if you were shooting a good round and did the same thing - there would be a special place in hell for you.

Pretty much every round is a practice round for me. I still score them.

Lately, I have been in many situations where I run out of time or light and only get in 13 to 16 holes. How do I post the score, the computer does not appear to let me put in a blank on the holes I did not play. I end up with a lot of "unofficial" cards at the end. Don't know what to fill in for the empty ones. I can't expect that I get as many pars as on the good portions of each round for the remainder of the round, and conversely I can't expect to double them either.

What should I do with these, other than add them into my 9 hole rounds?

This is actually the main reason I am still WIP handicap, just not enough time to finish complete rounds (waiting for other people's slow play really gets me).

I do finish many 9 hole rounds where if I average all of them I would be around 43 to 44 (I had a couple really bad ones practicing method of 12, and am not including the 57 I got on the front 9 at Calabasas). The course ratings are around 69.7 to 71.7 with slopes from 122 to 132. (The 9 hole courses are rated by playing two rounds for 18).

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Pretty much every round is a practice round for me. I still score them. Lately, I have been in many situations where I run out of time or light and only get in 13 to 16 holes. How do I post the score, the computer does not appear to let me put in a blank on the holes I did not play. I end up with a lot of "unofficial" cards at the end. Don't know what to fill in for the empty ones. I can't expect that I get as many pars as on the good portions of each round for the remainder of the round, and conversely I can't expect to double them either. What should I do with these, other than add them into my 9 hole rounds? This is actually the main reason I am still WIP handicap, just not enough time to finish complete rounds (waiting for other people's slow play really gets me). I do finish many 9 hole rounds where if I average all of them I would be around 43 to 44 (I had a couple really bad ones practicing method of 12, and am not including the 57 I got on the front 9 at Calabasas). The course ratings are around 69.7 to 71.7 with slopes from 122 to 132. (The 9 hole courses are rated by playing two rounds for 18).

score par plus appropriate handicap strokes on unplayed holes

Follow me on twitter

1) Don't act tough.

2) To be 100% honest, I did not know you must count every single round towards your handicap and "declare" it a practice round if you do not intend to. I take full responsibility for not being aware of that fact.Β The few close friends I have that keep official handicaps have done this (played a round and during or after, mentioned they were not going to count it towards their cap because of unfinished holes, skipped holes, inaccurate scoring etc.) After reading these replies and then doing my own research I understand that is not acceptable thus I won't be doing it anymore.

3) Also as an FYI, I just very recently started keeping a handicap. I did read through the guidelines / rule book etc. but there is obviously still some things to learn.

It is if it should really be 25......

Understood and won't argue your point ;) (see above)

Yep. Β I'd much rather be able to postΒ the 11-12 that I had when I first joined this forum, but unfortunately, that just isn't how I play any more. Β My handicap is a legitimate calculation based on playing 7 rounds after a 16 month period when I never even touched a club. Β That along with my age progressing into the upper 60's makes my swing a bitΒ of a crap shoot any more.

I get it...(see above)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Lately, I have been in many situations where I run out of time or light and only get in 13 to 16 holes. How do I post the score, the computer does not appear to let me put in a blank on the holes I did not play. I end up with a lot of "unofficial" cards at the end. Don't know what to fill in for the empty ones. I can't expect that I get as many pars as on the good portions of each round for the remainder of the round, and conversely I can't expect to double them either.

This is actually the main reason I am still WIP handicap, just not enough time to finish complete rounds (waiting for other people's slow play really gets me).

I do finish many 9 hole rounds where if I average all of them I would be around 43 to 44 (I had a couple really bad ones practicing method of 12, and am not including the 57 I got on the front 9 at Calabasas). The course ratings are around 69.7 to 71.7 with slopes from 122 to 132. (The 9 hole courses are rated by playing two rounds for 18).

Now wanting to belabor this, and I am sure it is on another thread.

How do I use the hole rating to calculate the number of strokes? If the hole is rated 4 and my handicap is approximately 15, then I suppose I should simply add one stroke? So, roughly calculated I should add a stroke for below a 9, and not add a stroke above?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by meenman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Now wanting to belabor this, and I am sure it is on another thread.

How do I use the hole rating to calculate the number of strokes? If the hole is rated 4 and my handicap is approximately 15, then I suppose I should simply add one stroke? So, roughly calculated I should add a stroke for below a 9, and not add a stroke above?

Never mind. I looked up how to use it to add points. Pretty easy compared to what I though. :doh:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Count em' all!

(And then adjust post round as per RCGA for handicapping)

I got it.

Thanks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note:Β This thread is 3711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!