IGNORED

GAME GOLF - Digital Tracking System

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Shindig said:

I wish they'd give us a breakdown of where the "short game" shots are lost.

Unfortunately they went with Mark Broadie's approach where 100 yards is where the short game begins. Dave and I disagree. We have 20-60 yard shots and those would be short game, for us, but 60-220 we count as full swing mechanics.

We're working with them so this may be one of the things that change. Eventually. Hopefully.

29 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I have used the Game Golf app and without the tags thought it was too much of a bother.  Today I received an email from them for 33% off for a total of $99.98.   I'm still not sure I need or want it but thought I'd pass on the notice.

For < $100 it's a good deal. Is that for LIVE, too? Even better, even if you don't use the LIVE features.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Unfortunately they went with Mark Broadie's approach where 100 yards is where the short game begins. Dave and I disagree. We have 20-60 yard shots and those would be short game, for us, but 60-220 we count as full swing mechanics.

Yeah, and that's a little surprising to me that this isn't an easy fix for them.  That 100 yard boundary is probably just a named constant somewhere.  I think the formula for strokes gained/lost is the same no matter where you are, it's just a matter of categorizing it for practice/statistical purposes I think.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

For < $100 it's a good deal. Is that for LIVE, too? Even better, even if you don't use the LIVE features.

Seconded.  $100 is a steal.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Yeah, and that's a little surprising to me that this isn't an easy fix for them.  That 100 yard boundary is probably just a named constant somewhere.  I think the formula for strokes gained/lost is the same no matter where you are, it's just a matter of categorizing it for practice/statistical purposes I think.

They have to put the cut-off somewhere, yes, and it should be the same for everyone.

This is one of the downsides of Broadie kind of focusing more on the Tour players rather than what Dave and I did, focusing more on the average golfer.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

They have to put the cut-off somewhere, yes, and it should be the same for everyone.

This is one of the downsides of Broadie kind of focusing more on the Tour players rather than what Dave and I did, focusing more on the average golfer.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why should the cut-off be the same for everyone?  As a (perhaps too) extreme example, my mother hits her 6-iron 100 yards, and I'll have trouble thinking of a full 7-iron as a short-game shot.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why should the cut-off be the same for everyone?  As a (perhaps too) extreme example, my mother hits her 6-iron 100 yards, and I'll have trouble thinking of a full 7-iron as a short-game shot.

So that you can say "short game" and it's meaningful.

If your "short game" was at 30 yards and a PGA Tour pro's was at 110 yards… you couldn't meaningfully compare your stats with his.

It's just a partition. The actual distance you hit the ball from 90 yards is the same regardless of what bin you place it in.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

So that you can say "short game" and it's meaningful.

If your "short game" was at 30 yards and a PGA Tour pro's was at 110 yards… you couldn't meaningfully compare your stats with his.

It's just a partition. The actual distance you hit the ball from 90 yards is the same regardless of what bin you place it in.

Good point.  It's possible I don't understand strokes gained as well as I think I do.  Maybe I should pick up the Broadie book.

Thanks.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Good point.  It's possible I don't understand strokes gained as well as I think I do.  Maybe I should pick up the Broadie book.

I'm not saying don't pick it up, but you probably are over-thinking what Strokes Gained is.

Strokes Gained are simply what you can expect to do from any distance and lie.

From 180 out on the tee, a PGA Tour pro averages 3.0 (I think). From 180 out, if you take a 4, you lost 1.0 strokes to a PGA Tour player.

From 80 yards out in the fairway, a PGA Tour player averages 2.75. If you take a 4, you've lost 1.25 strokes to the PGA Tour player.

It doesn't matter what bucket you put that in - short game, approach shots, etc. All that does is change which category it's added to - tee shots, approach shots, short game, putting. Make any bucket too small and the data is almost pointless. If you make a bucket, say, for shots from 10 to 40 yards… you might only have one shot per round that fits the bucket, so if you lose 1.5 strokes it doesn't mean you're pretty good from that range… it just means that you lose a shot and a half every time, but you only have one shot per round. :-)

• Upvote 1

GAME GOLF LIVE - GPS Shot Tracking
Thank you for your continued support and loyalty as a GAME GOLF member! Here is the Power User discount included. A small token of appreciation from John McGuire, CEO & Founder of GAME GOLF.
Bluetooth Enabled for Real-Time Shot Tracking

• Insights - See your club distances and shot dispersion patterns
  • Rangefinder - Get precise distances to greens, hazards and landing zones
  • GAME GOLF LIVE is allowable under the rules of golf for use in competition when not used with the App

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not saying don't pick it up, but you probably are over-thinking what Strokes Gained is.

Strokes Gained are simply what you can expect to do from any distance and lie.

From 180 out on the tee, a PGA Tour pro averages 3.0 (I think). From 180 out, if you take a 4, you lost 1.0 strokes to a PGA Tour player.

From 80 yards out in the fairway, a PGA Tour player averages 2.75. If you take a 4, you've lost 1.25 strokes to the PGA Tour player.

It doesn't matter what bucket you put that in - short game, approach shots, etc. All that does is change which category it's added to - tee shots, approach shots, short game, putting. Make any bucket too small and the data is almost pointless. If you make a bucket, say, for shots from 10 to 40 yards… you might only have one shot per round that fits the bucket, so if you lose 1.5 strokes it doesn't mean you're pretty good from that range… it just means that you lose a shot and a half every time, but you only have one shot per round. :-)

This makes me feel a lot better about their definition of short game.  I'm not 100% sold, but I'm a lot more sold than I was a few hours ago.  Thanks.

-- Michael | My swing! 

The obvious searches aren't pulling this up.  "36 holes" and "game golf" are too common, especially without the quotes. 

How does this work if I play 36 holes at one complex in a day?  Particularly if it's two different 18s?  Should I turn it off and back on in between?  Battery-wise, I find myself around 50% after one round, so I might bring a portable recharger with me for days I play 36.

And can I do that without pairing with my phone?  My phone, back when I paired it, barely survived one round.  I'm not going to do that, especially if I would like to use the phone after the round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

19 minutes ago, Shindig said:

The obvious searches aren't pulling this up.  "36 holes" and "game golf" are too common, especially without the quotes. 

How does this work if I play 36 holes at one complex in a day?  Particularly if it's two different 18s?  Should I turn it off and back on in between?  Battery-wise, I find myself around 50% after one round, so I might bring a portable recharger with me for days I play 36.

And can I do that without pairing with my phone?  My phone, back when I paired it, barely survived one round.  I'm not going to do that, especially if I would like to use the phone after the round.

For the Classic:  Turn it on, and play 18 holes.  Then turn it off.  When you're a few minutes from starting the next round, turn it on again.  Play 18 holes.  Turn it off.  Upload on the computer--it will upload both as separate rounds.  Edit the rounds prn.

For the Live:  (1) If not using the unit paired with your phone, do the same as above.  (2) If you're using the unit paired with your phone, play 18 holes, sync the round at the end of the round (which turns the unit off). When ready to play the next round, turn on and repeat.

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

17 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Just shut it off and turn it back on. It pairs up quickly. I bet you can get through both rounds without a problem.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Keep the phone face down so the screen doesn't turn on often.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone for the help.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Keep the phone face down so the screen doesn't turn on often.

This explains so much of why my phone, although it does go through battery quickly, seems to do so more when it's in my bag (it's literally in a lined bag hanging on my golf bag) than when it's somewhere like my car dashboard or on my office desk.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 8 months later...

Just logged my 10th round with this device....Personally I gotta say this is awesome, they are very fast on updating any errors/changes in the courses I've played as well. Will keep playing with device for the foreseeable future. If anyone is from the SWFL area and uses this gov eme an add, be nice to follow some other players in the area.  

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!