• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
dhanson

GAME GOLF - Digital Tracking System

372 posts in this topic

saw an advertisement for this new product and was surprised not to find a thread here. i've never experimented with on-course apps that generate statistics, but thought this looked pretty slick.

Here's what looks to be an independent review:

http://breakingeighty.com/game-golf-review

GOOD THINGS

Sleek, Unobtrusive Design
Easy to Tag Shots
Lots of Potential for Future Growth
Incredible Selection of Courses

BAD THINGS

GPS not always accurate
Round Review Process Tedious
UX Needs Work
Hard to Manually Edit Stats

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been seeing the game golf dot com device advertised lately and am curious about it. I haven't researched the costs yet and don't know if there is a fee beyond the initial cost. But it does seem like an interesting device combining gps and club tracking. I'm probably just going to use an android app and maybe think about a laser rangefinder. But being naturally curious, I'm wondering what others think of this gps club tracker thing.

Oops, did a search and didn't see an existing thread, ran a google search and found my way to http://thesandtrap.com/t/72375/game-golf-digital-tracking-system , so sorry for the redundant thread. Feel free to merge or kill this one.

Biggest problem is limited course maps. None of the courses I play are listed on their site. Not surprising they started with well known and resort courses in warmer climes.

(Thank you for the thread merger to whoever did it)

I just tried to go to their web site and it triggered all sorts of blocks with the work browser malware filter, so I can't go there from the work site during breaks. Just a heads-up, might be just something out of date on their web site.

So I just checked for local courses with my phone browser and nothing that I'd play shows up.  Oh well, interesting concept, I'll have to keep a casual eye open to see if I see anyone using the device locally and will ask them about it.

I think its a terrific idea....but $250 is pretty steep, IMO.  I had an app that did this, but I think they removed the function because nobody used it.  It wasn't quite streamlined enough to be useful. This appears to fix that problem.

Decided we can discuss the product here rather than fill up the What did you buy thread with Off Topic posts.

Farther down the page: http://thesandtrap.com/t/72375/game-golf-digital-tracking-system#post_955294

Farther down the page: http://thesandtrap.com/t/72375/game-golf-digital-tracking-system#post_955294

Merged.

My home course was supported which is why I agreed to try it out.  Now I just have to wait for the snow to clear and the course to open.

Have used mine for 3 rounds now and I love it.

It is an absolutely useless gadget for most of the golfing world, but for us (the people who are on forums like this) that are die hard, will love it. It is really easy to use.

Was discussing this with a couple of buddies at work and while they thought the $250 price would probably price them out of the market, we determined this was the perfect "gift" for a golfer. As we all know, everyone loves to give the golfer a golf gift, and this is one of those things that would be a perfect gift.

Happy to answer any specific questions, but what I will tell you is, get ready for some humble pie. Those "average" drives that go 270-300, well, when you actually have all your drives measured (the ones that you don't quiet get all of, the ones that bounce off the tree 50 yards off the fairway, etc.) your average is going to be MUCH less.

They still have some work to do, but the baseline program is a great start. I look for it to get better as most people use it and share feedback on ideas, etc.

This looks like a great device.  At $250 it is a little out of price range, but it looks like this works like a charm.  I have used golfshot for keeping stats in the past, but I like how I don't have to interupt my game to keep all the information that I want to track.  Found this video on YouTube that explains all the basics behind this device.

I bought one a few weeks back. First thing I had to do was do what needed to do months ago...upgrade my computer away from XP. It did not take long to get used to it. The mobile app is fairly good although there are times I have trouble finding the screens I was looking for. Online editing has been easy. The biggest complaint I have is the outdated list of standard clubs to pick from in their drop down menus in the initial setup stages. They are still working on how to deal with courses that have 27 holes. In that case I have to record round as seperate 9s. All in all I like it a lot

Any more updates on this... It seems like a nice setup.

I have been using mine for about 3 months and I really like it for what I bought it for.  My biggest challenge has been pinning down my club distances and this device has helped me zero in on that information.

Another thing I have used it for is to compare my driver performance with individual drivers on the course.  I have a few drivers (who doesn't?) that were all fitted on with a track-man/flight-scope and it has been eye-opening to see the actual performance of each on the course.  The Game Golf allows you to compare distances for each club to the yard (well as accurate as a GPS can be) and to get an idea of dispersion of shots based on their position on the map (you can view this after the round when you are viewing and editing your round).  I have several newer drivers and it was a surprise to see that my best performance on the course (it was the poorest performer in the hitting bay) is with a XHot 10.5 with a UST V2 shaft in it.

My issues:  GPS can move you from the front nine to the back nine randomly if two tee boxes are side by side (invalidates the round from a scoring perspective cause you will end up with a bunch of confusing data), the battery needs to be recharged every 18 hole round and lastly the belt clip is fragile and can break easily.

Over all good for this 19 handicapper.

Just played with a coworker who had this. He loves it, he said he averaged 245 off the tee and I was typically passed him by about 10-20 yards so it gives me a decent idea of my average drives. The price is a bit high for me right now but I will definitely keep it in mind when I have more disposable income.

Looks like they finally got CO mapped so I will be buying it soon. Looks like there are still some bugs to be worked out with the round/club editing but still an interesting product.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Popular Now

•   On one hand, you say you have trouble with lag putts, then you say you're not a poor putter.  And someone has told you that you're decelerating.  My suggestion, a FEELING of acceleration might help you get more putts to the hole, especially the long ones.
    • I first met with and talked about golf with Dean Snell when he was the main man at TaylorMade's moderately lavish TP Red/Black launch event the weekend before the 2006 Masters at Reynolds Plantation (coverage here, here, here, here, and elsewhere on the The Sand Trap .com). Dean had been snagged by TaylorMade after helping Titleist introduce the Pro V1/V1x to the golf world. A little while ago, we solicited questions from you, the members and readers of The Sand Trap .com, and what follows are Dean's responses to the first chunk of those questions. You'll notice that we jump right in to the Q&A. If you'd like to read more about Dean Snell, you can do so here. If you'd like to check out Snell's golf balls, they're right here. And of course, everything else is available at http://snellgolf.com/. One last note: Dean broke up a few of the questions so that he could more clearly answer pieces of them the way he wanted. Aside from editing for spelling/grammar, we've left these changes as is. Now, right into the Q&A… Technology Questions 1) How big of a difference is there between premium golf balls? DEAN: The biggest difference today between premium tour balls is the short game spin and control. Typically, when spin is controlled with mid and short irons, you can prevent the ballooning and problems in the wind… and when you get closer to the green, the thinner urethane covers allow for more short game spin and control. 2) Reducing SKUs seems wise but what percentage of golfers do you think you cover with only two models? Bridgestone has four B330 models but you have just one urethane ball. DEAN: I think two to three models is sufficient for entire market. The tour level players can really tell the difference in performance from one ball to another. some like more, some less spin… some firmer, some softer feel… so maybe two balls at tour level. As for the general public, I think if they choose to play a low compression, low spin ball, then the difference is so small that adding more for them is not worth it… also, when some companies talk about swing speed, I do not think this is worth having 3 SKU to fool consumers into thinking they need this in their game. 3) Bridgestone (and I think Callaway) has come out with tour caliber balls for players who swing under 105mph. Is it possible to design a tour caliber ball for a specific segment of swing speed or is this just mostly a marketing thing? DEAN: The whole swing speed story to me is one of the most over-rated stories in golf. Companies force or teach golfers to play low compression balls so their low swing speed can compress the ball. The problem with this is that low compression balls have the lowest spin in all shots, so they are pushing players to play a ball with no performance at all… and when you need that spin around the green, it's not there… 4) Since the four piece urerthane seems so hot in the ball industry right now, is there any chance that Snell will come out with a four-piece ball? DEAN: Stay tuned… I am working on several types of protos to address performance. I think when there is a performance target, then we adjust to the layers and materials to meet that target… so layers to help in meeting these targets… let it develop… ha ha… 5) How much diminishing returns are there on the number of layers? DEAN: Every time you add a layer, you add cost and some level of new performance. When I did penta (5 layers) it was to address concerns with the tour players on certain shots that they were seeing. So I always recommend that players do 100 yard and in testing, and see what they like in the ball… choose the ball from the short game testing, as this is where they are different. 6) From your perspective, will you follow the market trend and produce a soft golf ball? DEAN: The GET SUM is very low compression, very soft feeling golf ball. The issue in tour balls going too soft is you lose the feel of hitting good solid shots… players think soft means more spin at that level, so we have to balance this in design. 7) And would you describe why the market is "Hot with Soft or Softer" golf balls? DEAN: The soft golf ball market has taken off due to the lower spinning balls means players can be longer in distance. Today, softer balls means lower spinning, whereas in the past tour balls were higher spinning if softer… 8) Given what we now know about the relative importance of the full swing (driving, approach shots) and the short game and putting, does the old concept of fitting yourself for a golf ball by starting at the green and working backward still apply? DEAN: Absolutely… you should really spend a lot of time from 100 yards and in when testing different golf balls. This is where they are different, and where you would be able to see performance differences. If you test here and cannot tell, then buy the cheapest one. 9) Or should more importance be given to how the ball performs off the driver and irons, which are now understood to be the true scoring clubs? DEAN: No chance. Fitting a ball with a driver is a big mistake… you hit one drive, but you have to finish the hole, and play most of your golf around the greens, so choose a ball around the green, not off the tee. They will all go about the same difference off the tee today. 10) Is electronic technology embedded within the golf ball ever going to happen? For instance are we likely to see trackers or sensors anytime soon? I have tested this concept several years ago. Problem is that it is illegal to the rules of golf. The USGA will not allow, as you would have an advantage over someone else who did not have it. The other problem is that it was super expensive — over $4 per ball to have technology put into the ball — so it added $48 per doz, plus you had to buy the controller to find it… it does not really speed up play unless everyone on the course has it… which will be tough to implement. We look forward to bringing you the additional parts of this Q&A in the coming weeks. Thank you to Dean Snell for taking the time to answer these and the other questions still pending. Again, if you're looking to pay less AND get the best ball on the market today, https://snellgolf.com/.
    • I'm all for ready golf, but I think it's rude for everyone to hole out before you've made it to the green. That's just me though. 
    • Exactly. Unfortunately, we had a ringside seat to just such a thing yesterday.  The group ahead of us had finally made it to the green on 3.  One was in a green side bunker, while the others were on the green itself.  I asked my buddy, blade or chunk, as we watched from 60 yards out.  He said he'd leave it in the bunker.  I won.  Hard blade 30 yards over the green.  The remainder of the group WAITED while he raked the bunker and then walked completely across the green and proceeded to chip all the way back, almost dumping it in the same bunker again.  Again, Larry, Moe, and Curly wait for Bunker Boy to meander back and play his shot before playing theirs.  After all, he was away...   3 more swings and he was finally in the hole.  Total elapsed time that group took from when they reached the green, nearly 15 minutes!   We caught them on the next tee box in time to watch two of them knock it into the junk short of the fairway.  When it became obvious that they had no intention of acknowledging us, we politely asked if we could play through while they searched for their balls, and thankfully they agreed.   3 hours later, as we were teeing off on 18, we saw them driving up to the tee box on 12.  Not good golfers, true, but more than anything, they simply didn't move with any sense of purpose, or efficiency.  If we'd have had to play behind them much longer, I would have cut my own throat with my wedge!  
    • I love watching those shows on the golf channel.  Especially Michael Breed.   But, ultimately, it's not really personalized instruction, so you don't really get too much instruction from it.   Maybe a swing thought idea here and there, and some short game drills to work on.  As a matter of fact, I think a long while ago, I learned how to hit out of the sand from the golf channel.  That is still, to this day, the one skill I gain strokes on all of my friends at.   (unfortunately, I imagine bunker shots are like a SV (-8), given that I have like 1 per round.  tops.) But, it's still quite enjoyable nonetheless.   It's always fun to listen to people talk about the golf swing.  If your'e in to that kinda thing.  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Isaac03
      Isaac03
      (33 years old)
    2. phillyk
      phillyk
      (27 years old)
    3. PhishAreFriends
      PhishAreFriends
      (27 years old)