IGNORED

My Swing (Nosevi)

Nosevi
Note: This thread is 3053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi#post_1178630"] The back swing changes really just boil down to not pushing my hands away from myself at the beginning of the back swing and stopping the back swing way earlier at which point Erik said I was in a pretty good position (but it went seriously south from there!). Erik said it may feel like a 3/4 swing to me but in reality it felt like a half swing.  [/QUOTE] Another good video to check out for the backswing. I would recommend hitting balls with a tee or glove in your right arm pit. Keep that "pressure point" in front of the shirt seam.

Great vid. Will look at incorporating that into my drills this afternoon :-)

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I've only had a couple of days to get my head around @iacas 's video analysis but I think I have a fair idea of the direction he'd like me to go in.

The first thing I did was go to see my coach with Erik's analysis and had a long chat with him. As I said, I'd not been to see him in a couple of months. Most of what Erik put in his analysis has been pointed out to me by my coach at one time or another and I didn't commit to doing it as my progress has been pretty linear and going in the right direction to this point. Having Erik lay it all out in one analysis (which I had not had before) really drove it home to me that I was more than likely reaching a plateau with how far my swing would take me and I needed to make some concrete changes now or I'd simply be having to make them later. I took Erik's analysis to my coach as I was certain that this was the route I wanted to go down and if my coach wasn't I'd have a decision to make. What I got was quite a bit of "I told you so." and I had to eat a bit of 'humble pie'.

Only 2 days in but I've made a start on the changes. I'd say I'm a few steps down the road and have a good mile or two to go but in 2 days the 'picture' has certainly started to change. I still need to get my right elbow a little closer in by using the drill above that @mvmac suggests but while I think @iacas 's pig is still managing to duck my spear at least he's not longer laughing as hard.

Quick swing sequence comparing a few days ago prior to Erik's analysis on the left and today on the right:

Some spine tilt but guessing I need a bit more (rather than just doing it with my head)

Certainly far from 'there' yet but I'd say a step in the right direction and for only 2 days not too bad. More work to come though!

Pete Iveson

Certainly far from 'there' yet but I'd say a step in the right direction and for only 2 days not too bad. More work to come though!

Agree, nice work so far!

I know you have a list of stuff but just a reminder about that right hand grip, still too much on top.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Agree, nice work so far!

I know you have a list of stuff but just a reminder about that right hand grip, still too much on top.

Thanks. Two days but in reality a fair few hours spent.

Got it re the right hand grip, thanks. Will sort that out as I think it should help with the right elbow being 'softer' at set up (think that's how Erik described it) and so being easier to get closer to my side on the down swing. This should help with more lag (or rather create more lag) and so help with forward shaft lean at impact ie the impact alignment being better. Do I sort of have that right?

Pete Iveson

Got it re the right hand grip, thanks. Will sort that out as I think it should help with the right elbow being 'softer' at set up (think that's how Erik described it) and so being easier to get closer to my side on the down swing. This should help with more lag (or rather create more lag) and so help with forward shaft lean at impact ie the impact alignment being better. Do I sort of have that right?

Yep, correct.

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

Yep, correct.

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

Quote:

Agree, nice work so far!

Thanks. Two days but in reality a fair few hours spent.

Seems like the picture is changing pretty rapidly, Pete. One of the striking things is your head position- not only the lateral movement changes, but the tilt is different. I imagine that's significantly changing the way you are seeing the ball on the downswing.

Wondering if there are things in this thread below that hit home with you. As we spoke about, I'm still slowly changing my picture. Far too slowly, but as always it seems, I am hoping to dedicate more time to it all soon. This thread could definitely inspire me to get off my ass and change the picture (yah, I know right? Just what you always wanted: to be an inspiration like TDP).

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator

Some spine tilt but guessing I need a bit more (rather than just doing it with my head)

Yes, more hips.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Seems like the picture is changing pretty rapidly, Pete. One of the striking things is your head position- not only the lateral movement changes, but the tilt is different. I imagine that's significantly changing the way you are seeing the ball on the downswing. Wondering if there are things in this thread below that hit home with you. As we spoke about, I'm still slowly changing my picture. Far too slowly, but as always it seems, I am hoping to dedicate more time to it all soon. This thread could definitely inspire me to get off my ass and change the picture (yah, I know right? Just what you always wanted: to be an inspiration like TDP). [CONTENTEMBED=/t/73287/change-the-dang-picture layout=block] [/CONTENTEMBED]

Oh no! The "i" word! If I 'inspire' you to go practice a tad, Randy, that's fine but I wouldn't suggest you quit your job and go chasing this particular dream, you'd have to be borderline insane to do that :-) I'll have a look through the thread later, everyone just waking up now. Thanks. [quote name="iacas" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi#post_1180277"][QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/18#post_1179481"] Some spine tilt but guessing I need a bit more (rather than just doing it with my head) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/129276/] [/URL] [/QUOTE] Yes, more hips. [/quote] Thanks Erik, will get onto it :-)

Pete Iveson

Keep it up, pal - impressive change in a short space of time!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Keep it up, pal - impressive change in a short space of time!

Thanks. Couple of enforced days off as we had guests staying (apart from when my wife 'advised' me not to practice but I decided to ignore the 'advice' and just do a little. I'm guessing that I'll live to regret that decision.....) but back to it now. I'll give it a week or so then post up some shots of where we're at. Starting to strike the ball a bit better from the more conventional impact position so sure this was a change that had to be made.

Pete Iveson

Still working at it. As well as the setup changes I've been working on shortening my backswing, as Erik pointed out all the bad stuff happens because I over-rotate, and tilt, and lean, and do all sorts of daft things at the top. To be honest it gives quite a controlled feeling to my swing and really doesn't lose a lot in terms of distance, 2 or 3 yards with an iron perhaps but not a great deal. I'm working on making the same changes with my driver and there it gives the same added control without sacrificing too much if anything distance wise. Not sure if you can totally make out the numbers but this was a fair distance from a more compact and controlled swing. All these things are good IMO but still more work to do :-) (Trying to do this on an ipad so hopefully this'll work. If not I'll upload the vids when I'm in front of my computer later on. Also, sorry about being a bit of a sweaty heap by the time I recorded them. Little over 4 hours in the swings studio by this time.) [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/JSrSyWqd1-c[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/2G32jfndy4E[/VIDEO]

Pete Iveson

Still working at it. As well as the setup changes I've been working on shortening my backswing, as Erik pointed out all the bad stuff happens because I over-rotate, and tilt, and lean, and do all sorts of daft things at the top. To be honest it gives quite a controlled feeling to my swing and really doesn't lose a lot in terms of distance, 2 or 3 yards with an iron perhaps but not a great deal.

Interesting - my evolvr response I got this morning had exactly the same feedback, and the obvious concern was losing distance - good to see you're still crushing it :-) . How are you checking backswing length at the moment? Video or mirror?

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/18#post_1183401"] Still working at it. As well as the setup changes I've been working on shortening my backswing, as Erik pointed out all the bad stuff happens because I over-rotate, and tilt, and lean, and do all sorts of daft things at the top. To be honest it gives quite a controlled feeling to my swing and really doesn't lose a lot in terms of distance, 2 or 3 yards with an iron perhaps but not a great deal. [/QUOTE] Interesting - my evolvr response I got this morning had exactly the same feedback, and the obvious concern was losing distance - good to see you're still crushing it :-) . How are you checking backswing length at the moment? Video or mirror?

I use video rather than a mirror for that. If I use a mirror I pretty much have to stop at the top to check it. When I swing the club I guarantee I go further back than I think I do as momentum carries me a little past where I think I stop. Distance wise it went down a bit at first but it seems to be creeping up again while keeping a shorter backswing. I have no idea why it dropped but is coming back but perhaps someone can enlighten me. Perhaps it's a timing thing and I'm getting used to maximising club head speed at or just after the ball from this new position? That driver swing felt like a half swing to me, used to get right across the line at the top but you I can't argue with what I was finding out on the course yesterday and that's backed up by the numbers my launch monitor is giving me today. Not sure if you can really see the numbers but that drive was a smidge over 290 yards total. Thinking of doing an update to the main thread soon detailing how I went about getting my distance up there as it's been an early success in the programme.

Pete Iveson

I use video rather than a mirror for that. If I use a mirror I pretty much have to stop at the top to check it. When I swing the club I guarantee I go further back than I think I do as momentum carries me a little past where I think I stop.

Distance wise it went down a bit at first but it seems to be creeping up again while keeping a shorter backswing. I have no idea why it dropped but is coming back but perhaps someone can enlighten me. Perhaps it's a timing thing and I'm getting used to maximising club head speed at or just after the ball from this new position? That driver swing felt like a half swing to me, used to get right across the line at the top but you I can't argue with what I was finding out on the course yesterday and that's backed up by the numbers my launch monitor is giving me today. Not sure if you can really see the numbers but that drive was a smidge over 290 yards total.

Thinking of doing an update to the main thread soon detailing how I went about getting my distance up there as it's been an early success in the programme.

Thanks - I know you didn't intend on giving loads of feedback on how you do things, so it's much appreciated B-)

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi/18#post_1183414"] I use video rather than a mirror for that. If I use a mirror I pretty much have to stop at the top to check it. When I swing the club I guarantee I go further back than I think I do as momentum carries me a little past where I think I stop. Distance wise it went down a bit at first but it seems to be creeping up again while keeping a shorter backswing. I have no idea why it dropped but is coming back but perhaps someone can enlighten me. Perhaps it's a timing thing and I'm getting used to maximising club head speed at or just after the ball from this new position? That driver swing felt like a half swing to me, used to get right across the line at the top but you I can't argue with what I was finding out on the course yesterday and that's backed up by the numbers my launch monitor is giving me today. Not sure if you can really see the numbers but that drive was a smidge over 290 yards total. Thinking of doing an update to the main thread soon detailing how I went about getting my distance up there as it's been an early success in the programme.[/QUOTE] Thanks - I know you didn't intend on giving loads of feedback on how you do things, so it's much appreciated B-)

It's just that I want to avoid appearing to be telling people how to play golf. With the caveat that it's just describing how I did it rather than telling people how they should, I'll go through exactly how I increased my distance off the tee. Might become a little involved but if you can bear with me I'll go through it all. It's part of the overall programme so will write it up on that thread in a bit :-)

Pete Iveson

It's just that I want to avoid appearing to be telling people how to play golf. With the caveat that it's just describing how I did it rather than telling people how they should, I'll go through exactly how I increased my distance off the tee. Might become a little involved but if you can bear with me I'll go through it all. It's part of the overall programme so will write it up on that thread in a bit

Nice. I look forward to reading it. . . :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Still working at it. As well as the setup changes I've been working on shortening my backswing, as Erik pointed out all the bad stuff happens because I over-rotate, and tilt, and lean, and do all sorts of daft things at the top. To be honest it gives quite a controlled feeling to my swing and really doesn't lose a lot in terms of distance, 2 or 3 yards with an iron perhaps but not a great deal. I'm working on making the same changes with my driver and there it gives the same added control without sacrificing too much if anything distance wise. Not sure if you can totally make out the numbers but this was a fair distance from a more compact and controlled swing.

All these things are good IMO but still more work to do

Looks better, keep an eye on that right arm/elbow on the backswing, getting a little behind you.

- Let the pivot carry the arms.

- Keep that right arm pressure point more in front.

- Check the shoulder and hip alignments at set-up, shoulders look like they're aimed left. This might mean you have to check the grip and/or soften the right arm.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!