IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

I'm sure Augusta National members will use all of their influence to ensure he's there as that means better ratings and coverage for them. Tiger is a tough one to figure out, he's got such a bad relationship with the media that you can't read much into what he says or doesn't say.  If he doesn't play in the Masters then I'd think his injury is much worse than he's let on thus far.

The Masters was never about ratings, revenue or coverage for the members. Much of relationships with the media he brings upon himself

I have had a bulging disc (a few times actually) and can tell you it hurts a lot because the disc starts pinching nerves.   Each time I had one, bed rest and anti-inflammatories was the prescription.    On the other hand, a buddy had a bulging disc and wouldn't get off his feet long enough for it to heal.   His problem only worsened to the point it ultimately led to back surgery.    So if this is actually what Tiger has, a shot might get him through the Masters (maybe) but it might mean that it's the only major he plays this year due to more severe damage.   That would be a bad move if he wants a legit shot at Jack's record (and we all know he does)..    I have to believe he is listening to his doctors on this and will rely on them to tell him what his best options for long term viability is.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That puts him far away from winning, should he play at all, in my book. With a healthy body and a decent start to the year, it's possible. But this has been a terrible start, and now he's hurt and can't play golf properly.

If not the lack of majors, then I wonder if not his injuries will be what ends his career. He can play most of the time, but it's always looming it seems. And when it hits, he's out for weeks or months.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I have had a bulging disc (a few times actually) and can tell you it hurts a lot because the disc starts pinching nerves.   Each time I had one, bed rest and anti-inflammatories was the prescription.    On the other hand, a buddy had a bulging disc and wouldn't get off his feet long enough for it to heal.   His problem only worsened to the point it ultimately led to back surgery.    So if this is actually what Tiger has, a shot might get him through the Masters (maybe) but it might mean that it's the only major he plays this year due to more severe damage.   That would be a bad move if he wants a legit shot at Jack's record (and we all know he does)..    I have to believe he is listening to his doctors on this and will rely on them to tell him what his best options for long term viability is.

A cortisone could be a short term solution, one would assume that he has explored that before, say at Barclays last September. You are only supposed to have 1-2 within a calendar year. However a shot can get him back on the course and allow you to swing. But winning the masters takes a lot more than that and I am not talking about putting. It takes a clear head mentally and that is something a shot can not provide.

A cortisone shot can also make you feel that the injury is gone and consequently you can be reinjuring or creating further more long term damage once it wears off. Again this is speculation of what is ailing him.

yes, if there is enough appearance money he'll play just to play and has.

Not sure what you're basing your conclusion that he's playing just to "play" on. I'll take a solid guess that he's playing to win those as well, because last time I checked he's a competitor.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

~~Tiger Woods may be playing down his chances of playing in the Masters -- "It's still a little too soon," he said in a press conference on Monday -- but the bookmakers aren't buying it. According to newly-released odds on Tuesday from SkyBet.com, Tiger is 1/6 to play in the Masters, and just 7/2 to skip the event. In other words, if you were to bet $6 on Tiger playing at Augusta, you'd make a mere $1 if he did. Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2014/03/if-bookmakers-are-always-right.html#ixzz2wzXkZSvv

A cortisone shot can also make you feel that the injury is gone and consequently you can be reinjuring or creating further more long term damage once it wears off. Again this is speculation of what is ailing him.

This is what I was getting at when I said a shot might get him through the Masters but it might mean he doesn't get to play the other majors.. :beer:

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfisher

This is what I was getting at when I said a shot might get him through the Masters but it might mean he doesn't get to play the other majors..

Cortisone shots to the spine effectiveness is suspect at best.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Augusta is not the course for a player with a borked spine. It's a long walk, up and down hills and there are so few flat lies on the fairways...must play on the mind.

I'd never write this dude off though. He's too good.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Give him a cart and fuel the fire of the haters. :D

• Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The question is, will Tiger be able to adapt if his back begins acting up?  When healthy and playing, he is the best golfer in the world hands down....  When not 100% he is simply ordinary.  The guy can play and I wouldn't bet against him, but the house has the advantage right now, not him.

I want to see Tiger play well again, but I'm not sure if he will ever be as dominant as he was.  There are too many good players that can get hot on any given week.  I think as we look back 15-20 years from now, we will truly appreciate the growth of the sport over the past 15 years both competitively and in popularity.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

The question is, will Tiger be able to adapt if his back begins acting up?  When healthy and playing, he is the best golfer in the world hands down....  When not 100% he is simply ordinary.  The guy can play and I wouldn't bet against him, but the house has the advantage right now, not him.  I want to see Tiger play well again, but I'm not sure if he will ever be as dominant as he was.  There are too many good players that can get hot on any given week.  I think as we look back 15-20 years from now, we will truly appreciate the growth of the sport over the past 15 years both competitively and in popularity.

Amen. People have felt this way for some time, certainly before the hydrant episode, which fueled more people into feeling that way. It wasn't hatred or racism, although there are many that believe that that's what is motivating people. I do believe his total dominance is over, he still a very good golfer, I just don't slurp the same koolaid that others do. his dominance was so incredible and I felt lucky to witness every clutch putt on 18 on Sundays. (TV) but like everything else eventually it ends & its been years.

The question is, will Tiger be able to adapt if his back begins acting up?  When healthy and playing, he is the best golfer in the world hands down....  When not 100% he is simply ordinary.  The guy can play and I wouldn't bet against him, but the house has the advantage right now, not him.

I want to see Tiger play well again, but I'm not sure if he will ever be as dominant as he was.  There are too many good players that can get hot on any given week.  I think as we look back 15-20 years from now, we will truly appreciate the growth of the sport over the past 15 years both competitively and in popularity.

Tiger at 75% is still a top five golfer. He's not as dominant as he once was, but he is definitely not ordinary when not at 100%.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I want to see Tiger at 100% also. Even though I'm not a huge fan of his, I always love to see him on fire, ripping at every pin like throwing darts. That is fun golf to watch.

Whats not fun golf? Seeing the ordinary Mr. "insert name here" layup on every par 5 to win the Masters. (see Zach Johnson). So goddam boring!

We need Tiger healthy!

I remember when he first joined the tour. His swing was so damn fast, it was crazy (and cool) to watch. But not knowing that, this crazy fast swing was going to cause him back problems later in life.

For a non-contact sport, golf sure takes it toll on the athletes.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I wonder how much the Master's ratings will deteriorate if Tiger WD's. If he doesn't play, CBS better hope that Mickelson, McIlroy, Scott, and/or Bubba is close to lead after Saturday.

I am going to say he suits up. Getting through the whole tournament, that's another story.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Tiger at 75% is still a top five golfer. He's not as dominant as he once was, but he is definitely not ordinary when not at 100%.

Don't tell Patrick Reed that. :-D

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

I want to see Tiger at 100% also. Even though I'm not a huge fan of his, I always love to see him on fire, ripping at every pin like throwing darts. That is fun golf to watch. Whats not fun golf? Seeing the ordinary Mr. "insert name here" layup on every par 5 to win the Masters. (see Zach Johnson). So goddam boring! We need Tiger healthy!

Agree with you - in the early part of this season, I was thinking how interesting it is having so much new talent contending or otherwise in the mix. Wondered if it was noticeable because Tiger and other recently dominant players weren't showing up or if in fact there's just a full roster of rookies and emerging players coming up the ranks. Then in the past week or two, I've found myself wishing to see some balls-to-the-wall golf ala Tiger firing at the pin like a sniper or pulling unbelievable shots out of his ass.

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)