IGNORED

Hideki Matsuyama buries putter 5 feet away from hole...

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just one question: did you watch the video?

The one you posted?  He hits the ground with his putter, then walks in front of the spot he hit prior removing his putter from said spot, and it ends before he ever moves out of the way of said spot, such that it is 100% impossible for any of us to have any opinion whatsoever about the extent of the damage.

I also am assuming that the info @Valleygolfer posted is correct ... that there was enough damage done and in the line of somebody in the following group, that they had to have it repaired.

Actually, two questions. Here's the second: do you admit that there were other, perhaps more professional ways, to handle this kind of situation rather than tweeting about it?

Don't mistake my previous post as any kind of defense for Poulter.  ;)  Of course the reaction could have been handled differently.  What I'm saying is that, more importantly, Matsuyama's anger after hitting such a shitty putt could have, and should have, been handled differently, and that is more important than his potential hurt feelings.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
The one you posted?  He hits the ground with his putter, then walks in front of the spot he hit prior removing his putter from said spot, and it ends before he ever moves out of the way of said spot, such that it is 100% impossible for any of us to have any opinion whatsoever about the extent of the damage.

Nah. We can see how fast the clubhead is moving. We have seen how firm the greens have been all week. We can see that there's no visible scar or damage to the green (from the angle we get). We can see quite a lot of things, and we have all probably experienced this kind of stuff as well - accidentally or otherwise - so we can bring personal experience to it as well.

Also, the fact remains: Poulter could have been a gentleman about it. I get being pissed, but you have the RO fix it, and then you address it with Matsuyama in private. You don't go 12-year-old girl on Twitter about it. You don't call a fellow professional an "idiot."

What I'm saying is that, more importantly, Matsuyama's anger after hitting such a shitty putt could have, and should have, been handled differently, and that is more important than his potential hurt feelings.

I see Poulter's mistake as worse. Matsuyama was probably unaware of any damage to the green, and when he was alerted to it, manned up and apologized to Poulter and the others.

Poulter, meanwhile, had plenty of time to reconsider posting his tweets, yet did so hours after the event took place. And hasn't apologized for his name-calling as far as anyone knows.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I also am assuming that the info @Valleygolfer posted is correct ... that there was enough damage done and in the line of somebody in the following group, that they had to have it repaired.

Don't mistake my previous post as any kind of defense for Poulter.  ;)  Of course the reaction could have been handled differently.  What I'm saying is that, more importantly, Matsuyama's anger after hitting such a shitty putt could have, and should have, been handled differently, and that is more important than his potential hurt feelings.

More like better, No one is trying to defend Matsuyama he was wrong and he knows it but it wasn't like he was trying to leave dents in the green for the other players to have to deal with, it was a moment of lost emotions. Poulter on the other hand was tying to publicly embarrass the guy on social media instead of keeping it in the "fraternity" and having a little talk the next day. I'll bet he never said sorry for calling him an idiot either.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Nah. We can see how fast the clubhead is moving. We have seen how firm the greens have been all week. We can see that there's no visible scar or damage to the green (from the angle we get).

Whoops, my mistake. :8) I really did watch it before you asked the question.  And I really did go back and watch it twice after you asked the question.  But now I went back and watched it two more times ... and somehow I failed to notice that he takes one last step with right foot out of the way of the spot he hit allowing as a view of an (apparent) lack of damage.  But I'm still deferring to @Valleygolfer 's comment where he says that the damage was significant enough to require a repair prior to the next group putting.

12-year-old girl on Twitter about it. You don't call a fellow professional an "idiot."

I see Poulter's mistake as worse. Matsuyama was probably unaware of any damage to the green, and when he was alerted to it, manned up and apologized to Poulter and the others.

Poulter, meanwhile, had plenty of time to reconsider posting his tweets, yet did so hours after the event took place. And hasn't apologized for his name-calling as far as anyone knows.

But my point is that Poulter and his reaction are separate from Matsuyama and his actions.  It's not like we are all allowed only a finite amount of disdain or anger and since Poulter is using up 100% of it, we're not allowed to have anymore towards Matsuyama and his actions.

This is blown way out of proportion. What Hideki did was wrong but IMO I do not believe this is any different than a tour player breaking/throwing his club, granted the green was damaged but its not like he buried his club in the green like a hatchet.  Ian Poulters choice to bash someone on twitter was cowardly but what do you expect from a pre-madonna who was probably born with a "silver spoon in his mouth."

• Administrator

I'm still deferring to @Valleygolfer's comment where he says that the damage was significant enough to require a repair prior to the next group putting.

Nobody's denying that. But they'd probably ask to have a 1/8" dent "fixed" because it could cause you to miss a putt.

Nobody's defending Matsuyama. But Poulter called him an "idiot" and used words like "buried a putter" - sensationalist and aggressive phrasing.

But my point is that Poulter and his reaction are separate from Matsuyama and his actions.  It's not like we are all allowed only a finite amount of disdain or anger and since Poulter is using up 100% of it, we're not allowed to have anymore towards Matsuyama and his actions.

I don't think anyone is saying that.

But I think most people would agree that if you could only get one apology out of the two of them, Poulter owed one more than Hideki.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Compared to a lot of other professional golfers he really didn't have that much of a "silver spoon". Like him or not he pretty much did it the hard way.

Nobody's denying that. But they'd probably ask to have a 1/8" dent "fixed" because it could cause you to miss a putt.

Nobody's defending Matsuyama. But Poulter called him an "idiot" and used words like "buried a putter" - sensationalist and aggressive phrasing.

I don't think anyone is saying that.

But I think most people would agree that if you could only get one apology out of the two of them, Poulter owed one more than Hideki.

Perhaps I'm just more sensitive to it because I play with somebody often who has done this type of thing in the past, and acts like a 5 year old baby at some point during every round, even though he's only actually torn up a green a couple of times.  But those few times that it's happened, the furor that boils up inside of me is enough that, were somebody in the group behind us to call him names and embarrass him online or in the town square ... I would find it appropriate and not at all try and defend him. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUT69

This is blown way out of proportion. What Hideki did was wrong but IMO I do not believe this is any different than a tour player breaking/throwing his club, granted the green was damaged but its not like he buried his club in the green like a hatchet.  Ian Poulters choice to bash someone on twitter was cowardly but what do you expect from a pre-madonna who was probably born with a "silver spoon in his mouth."

Compared to a lot of other professional golfers he really didn't have that much of a "silver spoon".

Also ... he was born almost 20 years AFTER Madonna ... so he got that part wrong too. :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUT69

Compared to a lot of other professional golfers he really didn't have that much of a "silver spoon".

Like him or not he pretty much did it the hard way.

I stand corrected, I just assumed. My bad, believe it or not I am a Poulter fan. Maybe it is the clothes. :whistle:

• Administrator
Also ... he was born almost 20 years AFTER Madonna ... so he got that part wrong too.

Item 1 on this thread is for you, Barney: . :-D

Item 1 on this thread is for you, Barney: [CONTENTEMBED=/t/69379/newbie-helpers-little-things-everyone-expects-and-asks-of-users layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED] . :-D

Too ... Shay. ;)

Also ... he was born almost 20 years AFTER Madonna ... so he got that part wrong too.

Whoa! What other part did I get wrong. You do realize it is just MY opinion.

Also ... he was born almost 20 years AFTER Madonna ... so he got that part wrong too. :-P

[quote name="CUT69" url="/t/73033/hideki-matsuyama-buries-putter-5-feet-away-from-hole/30#post_960243"] Whoa! What other part did I get wrong. You do realize it is just [U]MY[/U] opinion. [/quote]Sorry ... I'm just having a little fun and busting your (spelling) chops. It's not "pre-Madonna," it's primadonna. :). (Don't take me too seriously - I tend to be a goofball and sometimes, perhaps I go too far).

And you wonder why some do not post! Calling someone out for pre-madonna over primadonna or over opinions, really!  Wow is all I have to say about that!!!!!! :pound:

Matsuyama shouldn't have hit the green with his putter but the damage was exaggerated greatly by Poulter.  I also don't like the picture where Matsuyama is apologizing and Poulter can't even be bothered to look at him, thought that could have just been poor timing by the photographer.

Joe Paradiso

He didn't bury the blade violently, but even amateurs don't do that ... well, not most.

And Poulter? He chose to deal with it publicly. He could have handled it privately and gotten a similar result.

Both showed poor judgment.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

And you wonder why some do not post! Calling someone out for pre-madonna over primadonna or over opinions, really!  Wow is all I have to say about that!!!!!!   :pound:

^ def'n of primadonna. Regarding all this silly crap, poulter strives for attention and social media is his tool. He's a complete moron in my opinion and could've spoken to hideki in the locker room...

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!