IGNORED

Ryder Cup practice days

MattyMFC
Note: This thread is 3656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, just a quick question for anyone who has attended the Ryder Cup over the years! Last year I entered the ballot for tickets (for myself and my dad, was hoping to surprise him for his 50th birthday). Unfortunately I wasn't successful. I've just had an email informing me that all remaining tickets for PRACTICE DAYS ONLY (match day tickets fully sold out, understandably) will go on first-come first-serve basis next Wednesday. How much goes on during practice days? Would you recommend it? I'm edging towards the opinion that it'll be devastating going to Gleneagles, getting into the atmosphere, watching the guys practice ... Then going home to watch on tv.

I haven't been, but practice days may actually be better if you want to interact with the players.  A friend of mine marshals the Deutsche Bank TPC in Norton, MA on the Pro Am day.  He say the players are friendly and relaxed as compared to the competition days.  He got to chat with Rory and his girlfriend and she even asked him if he wanted a picture with Rory.  That doesn't happen during competition.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was at Medina for a practice round last time around. A lot goes on but it was packed and very tough to get around. Then again we are talking greater Chicago metro area. I don't think you will be devastated. For me it was neat to see the course and how everything was set up for those guys.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I volunteered during the 2012 matches at Medina and I will 2nd the previous the comment that it was very crowded and difficult to get close to the players but I thought all of the players were very friendly and interactive with the gallery.  To get around the crowds just skip ahead a few holes and wait for the groups to come through.

I worked both practice round and tournament days and that interaction with the crowd really decreased when the matches began.  In my volunteer position I was paired up with a husband and wife who were from Germany and they had worked matches that were based in the EU and the US.  They mentioned that the crowd sizes in Europe were nothing like those in the US - they enjoyed the atmosphere in Europe better.

I have been to several tournaments over the years from weekly PGA events to 3 of the 4 majors and have always enjoyed the practice rounds.  I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

I won a trip for 2 to the 2012 matches at Medina from Golfsmith. Me and my wife went, all we had to do was pay for a rental car. I loved it. Next to the Masters that was the best pro event I've been to. The crap people say to the players when they are walking between holes. The only thing that bugged me was seeing Jordan walking the fairways with Tiger. But I agree the practice rounds are better for fan interaction if you looking for sig's and photo ops.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Cheers for the replies guys. [quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/73322/ryder-cup-practice-days#post_965461"]I haven't been, but practice days may actually be better if you want to interact with the players.  A friend of mine marshals the Deutsche Bank TPC in Norton, MA on the Pro Am day.  He say the players are friendly and relaxed as compared to the competition days.  He got to chat with Rory and his girlfriend and she even asked him if he wanted a picture with Rory.  That doesn't happen during competition. [/quote] I really took notice of this post and I went to buy tickets today for the practice days. I was mistaken though ... MATCH DAY tickets were still available. I'm going to the Ryder Cup!!! Over the moon doesn't quite sum it up.

Note: This thread is 3656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!