IGNORED

Where to invest?

need_lessons
Note: This thread is 6089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm finally trying to get serious about improving my game. I've been told by many that I have a good swing, but my shots are wildly erratic. Probably two out of ten are good. I have a limited budget and limited time, although I am getting to the range two-to-three times a week right now, and trying to play a round at least every other week.

I am trying to determine what the better investment is (1) lessons, at ~$60/hour, or (2) better clubs, my current set being a 5-6 year old set of "golden bears" from Costco. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

For some strange reason there's no icon for "Golden Bear" clubs. I wonder why?

I would take a few lessons (maybe just half hour ones) to get the correct grip and work on driver, irons, wedges and putter and maybe woods if you want to use them. You could get new clubs but the technique is very important. Try and get to your local putting green and putt there for a while and do chip n' run shots on them with your wedges. If you want to do these shots, take a narrow stance (with your feet about half a foot), lean on your left foot, hold your hands towards your target (in line with the inside of your left Thigh) and take a smooth 'same back same forward' quarter swing. This can help you get near the hole from the rough. That is how I do those shots anyway. Those shots easily took 1-2 shots off of my score per round. Watching the golf channel and the pros can also help sometimes as you can pick up some tips. You could also go to a local par 3 course that has 50-120 yard holes to practice wedges and putting.

Good luck but I am just suggesting a few things, take my advice with a pinch of salt but it is worth a try.

Nothing takes the place of fundamentals, nothing.

You will never see a 30+ handicapper on the range with Tiger-esque posture. Solid fundamentals build the foundation for a good swing. It is possible to play good golf with poor fundamentals but it is always always easier and allows for faster improvement if you are in good shape before you make a swing.

Grip
Stance
Posture
Ball Position

You get those four down and you are in better shape than most.

If you could get to the range a couple of times a week I would just go to a local muni and play as many holes as you have time for. I have a really crappy course 1 mile from my house. I often go there and walk 5-7 holes. I basically go when its quite and hit shots from everywhere. If i pull an approach shot I drop and hit again till I get it right. 1 other thing I do thats actually fun is me and my neighbor go and find a green no one is near. We then play "9" holes from around 30 yards the green. Bassically we state the par and you have to try and get up and down from wherever that person chooses. You can play behind a sloped green, around tress, over the bags ect. Its great practice for the short game and makes it fun. Anyways at the course you can actualy practice shots rather than smashing balls into a hug open space.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

Go for the lessons, you can't buy a good swing.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Thanks to those who suggested lessons. After an hour with a coach on Saturday, my shots were much crisper and straighter. I'm amazed at what a difference an hour made.

Back to practicing...

Your clubs should be fine, unless you are really tall or short and the clubs don't fit you, but that's most likely not the case. You might want to regrip your clubs - if they are 5-6 years old, the grips probably aren't tacky anymore and you might have to increase your grip tension, a no no.

I would continue with the lessons, but to improve, I'd recommend playing and practicing regularly as much as you can. I'd play on executive courses - rounds are shorter so you might play more than once every 2 weeks.

I'd also work more with chipping, pitching and the short irons first. Once you can hit a sand wedge 100 yards without much effort to a green 10 times in a row, you've probably grooved a good swing. The emphasis is to learn a proper release where you maximize your swing speed to be late as possible. You want to hit the ball first and have your divot be in front of the ball, not vice versa. If you practice on hard mats, be aware of fat shots. Try and practice on real grass once in awhile.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

heres something real cheap. first if you have a large window at the back of your house, swing your club whilst looking at your reflection, try to copy what you see the pros doing and by pros i mean say tiger or the goose someone who has a pretty much text book thing going on. then and this is a must if people havnt already said this, IM BAD i didnt read all the other posts. video you swing from behind from in front from all angles, not you obviously, get someone to video you i should have said. then watch the evidence back. i garatee some of the thing you see you wont be happy with a some will just scare you. thats what happened to me anyway, i figured i had a great swing, i looked a bit fruity when i saw mine. not good. best of luck.

If you practice on hard mats, be aware of fat shots. Try and practice on real grass once in awhile.

Could you explain a little more about "fat" shots? I have noticed that I hit much better off of mats - on real grass I often "chunk it", which usually results in the divot flying farther than the ball.

I'm going to try to get to an executive course tomorrow, actually.

btw, right now I am hitting my SW about 75 yards consistently. Should I be satisfied with this or try to squeeze an extra 25 yards out of it?

Could you explain a little more about "fat" shots? I have noticed that I hit much better off of mats - on real grass I often "chunk it", which usually results in the divot flying farther than the ball.

On those padded mats that are like astroturf, if you hit one, two inches behind the ball, the clubhead doesn't dig down, like in grass. It rebounds off the mat and your resulting shot is probably decent.

There are better mats. In my area, they are made of plastic "blades" of "grass" about 1 inch tall, probably less. You hit a fat shot, you loss mucho distance. You hit a really fat shot, you hit the plastic beneath it and curse at yourself. Have a good round tomorrow.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Hitting better off the mats is a good hint you're hitting it fat. I've taken to not hitting the range before rounds when I'm at a course that has mats only for its range. I don't think I lose many strokes, if any, because I used to hit the range and hit some, but then I'd hit 'em fat on the course. No cause wondering why.

btw, right now I am hitting my SW about 75 yards consistently. Should I be satisfied with this or try to squeeze an extra 25 yards out of it?

If you know how to squeeze an extra 25 yards out of clubs, please let me know! I hit my PW 95 yards, and if I could squeeze that up to 120, I'd be as happy as a [sentence truncated].

I've been a lot happier and I've shot a bit lower since accepting my distances. They'll increase with time, I'm sure. But for now, I don't care if I hit a 4-Iron the same distance many of my friends hit their 7-Iron (and one friend hits his pitching wedge). Oh, something I noticed -- my friends with mad distance have trouble with 50-yard shots. If I find myself with a 50-yard shot, I don't care too much, since my lob wedge is maybe 55-60 yards on a full swing. I don't try to take 10% off, since I know I can't, but I don't have to worry that I'm going to try for a 50-yard shot and hit it 30 or 80. If every hole were 50 yards, I'd play better than most of my friends who have much more distance.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Shindig,

I've found that if I swing especially hard or make "perfect" contact, my distances can vary somewhat. My biggest problem is consistency - if I want a consistent, somewhat well-placed shot, I need to hit the ball substantially easier (with less distance).

I've found that I am a club or two below the guys at work who I sometimes golf with - i.e. they will hit a 9I and I will be swinging a 7I or 8I.

On a good note, I discovered today that I can hit my 9I consistently about 140 from a tee box.

Because you said you're trying to improve your game, I would recommend practicing your greenside chipping and pitching. If you can, get at least one lesson from your coach on the short game to learn the right technique.

Many high handicappers hit an occasional one close and assume they "know how to do it", so they never practice. Stats show high and mid handicappers lose too many shots per round because they really can't chip or pitch.

Practice getting the chips within a 3 foot circle around the hole. For pitches, get them within 10 feet for now so you're pretty assured of a 2-putt. The key is to avoid chunking or blading the ball which often results in the dreaded 2-chip/3-putt.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Play it at 75. Try to avoid powering a wedge - it's a finess shot. Club up to play the 100 yard shot.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I would use the money for lessons and play time. I've seen good players hit the ball better then most with a walking stick, umbrella or clubs that are 30 years old. Of course the ball doesnt go as far but you get the point

Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

Don't be overly concerned with distance as with technique and consistency, so stick with what you have. If you try to hit it far, you'll probably be swinging too hard.

Concentrate on swinging smoothly, making good contact (sweet spot), technique, impact position, minimal tension and hitting the ball first. You're just starting out, so you haven't gotten the most out of your swing yet. After you become more experienced, you'll be hitting it further. When you see pros on TV hit a sand wedge, it's a baby swing. One of the reasons they hit it 100 yards is because they keep the ball low. If you check out the range during a PGA tournament, you'll see what I mean. When I first started, my ball flight was super high and that killed my distance. Once I learned to get the hands in front of the ball at impact, that is, not adding loft, the ball goes lower and travels further and holds the green on landing.

Steve

My instructor mentioned "keeping the ball lower", but we didn't have too much time to get into it. I think it was mostly in the context of weight transfer on the swing - perhaps that's the next lesson.

In the meantime, any suggestions on how I can work on keeping the ball lower? Most of my high irons / wedges (8I - SW) fly incredibly high. Do I bring my hands through sooner? I already feel like they come through before the club head.

Note: This thread is 6089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!