IGNORED

Need help with what clubs to replace first

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm sure you get this type of question all the time but I finally got back into playing 6 months ago after not for about 15 years. I was given a bag of clubs to get me started but they are all really old and I'd like to slowly start replacing them with better clubs. Money isn't a huge factor but I also don't want to waste money just to get the newest and coolest thing that isn't worth it's price. In my bag right now I have:

Driver: King Cobra TI 10.5 degrees (1997)

3 wood: King Cobra Offset 15 degrees (1997)

Fairway wood: Orlimar Trimetal (1998)(never use because only get a good shot about 30% of the time)

3,4,5,6,8,9 irons: Cobra Gravity Back (1999)

7 iron: Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scot

gap wedge: Cleveland 52 CG 11 (2006)

putter: King Pin One Shot KSI (couldn't find it online)

I'd like to replace my fairway wood and 3, 4 irons with hybrids (i think). Also maybe a pitching and sand wedge instead of the gap wedge? But again not sure if I should do those first or driver or irons or what. Thanks for any help. I'm really lost and worried at a golf store they'd just sell me on the most expensive thing if I don't at least have an idea of what I'm looking for. And if you're curious right now I'm shooting about a 100 (I only get to play about once a weekend).

I would recommend going to a demo day and hitting some different clubs to see what works best. Even go to a store and try out what looks good to you. Just because you go into a store doesn't mean you have to buy something ;-) There are so many options out there that someone online can't tell you what you need.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well you should think about what club you use the most in a round.

Start replacing that first. so first Putter, than wedges.

Than you could start with Hybrids and woods and finally a good iron set.

If you have a club nearby with trackman i would go there and see what is best for you.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

... I'd like to replace my fairway wood and 3, 4 irons with hybrids (i think). Also maybe a pitching and sand wedge instead of the gap wedge? But again not sure if I should do those first or driver or irons or what. ...

@mvmac has the right plan. Go to the spring demo days and try clubs at local golf shops.

Hybrids offer new variety for your club mix. Since hybrids offer a crossover point between irons and FWs, you don't want to consider them separately from your irons. Some fitters will do a gap analysis to determine the longest iron you can hit well. For example, if you hit a 6 iron 155 yards / a 5 iron 165 yards / and a 4 iron 165 yards only when you connect cleanly / the 5i is probably the longest club you want to carry.

Even good players do this. A guy at my club has a 7.5 HDCP, and he dropped out his 3i and 4i in favor of a 2H and a 4H - it's just more reliable.

As for FWs, be sure to compare 3Ws and 4Ws. According to Golf Digest , recent club testing suggests the average golfer can hit a 4W just as far - and more reliably - than a 3W. The 4W has a couple extra degrees of loft, which really help with ball launch for people with average swingspeeds.

Being you've been gone for 15 years, give yourself a few weeks to see what all is out there.

Also, you might consider some tune-up lessons. Let your swing stabilize a little before you spend $$ hundreds on clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I would say start with the driver.  I think drivers have advanced much farther than irons over the years.  I have little knowledge about this other than I had a hand me down set that was about 15 yrs old at the time, and when I bought my new/used set, the biggest difference  I noticed was in the driver.  The irons didnt seem to be much different other than I hit the same number clubs farther than the old set because they have cranked the lofts down more.  Example:  my new/used clubs 8 iron was actually the same loft as my old clubs 7 iron.   People need to be aware that some of the new sets pw is actually set at 45* of loft.  If your sw is 56*  thats a pretty nasty gap.  I think it is bs that the manufactures get away with this.  It would be nice if there was a standard loft for specific clubs that they had to follow.

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Driver first! Gets you off to a good start! Nice forgiving driver with a suitable shaft will make the long holes easier! Your then gonna need a sand wedge! Try a few, get fitted even! This is a cub that's gonna score you points so get the right one, with the right bounce and grind for ya swing, Then get irons, maybe 5 to gap wedge, get ya distance gaps consistent,... Then go for hybrids/ woods to fill the long shot gaps! It weird because many people go on about putters but to me it's the least important club, yet the most important shot, I'll have to look into putters more and see what all the fuss is about! I always thought the putting stroke is more important than the putter?

Gaz Lee

I started with replacing my irons first and got a used set. Then shop for the longer and shorter distance clubs once you know the distances with the irons. My reasoning is that the irons comprise the bulk of the clubs in the bag. Once you're comfortable with the longest iron then probably a driver, then fill the gaps with woods or hybrids. Short shots and wedges, see where your iron set gets you, then find what works for you and your course conditions. This works for me, adjust the plan for you. And agree on the demo days, great way to try out a variety of stuff.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!