IGNORED

My Swing (14ledo81)

14ledo81
Note:Β This thread is 1094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Time for an update. Β Really just a question for @mvmac , or anybody else who wants to input. Β I am still working on the centered hip pivot, and trying to make sure I don't backslide on the other items at the same time. I got an idea from the video you posted in the "hips" thread. Β It appears Funk started his swing with his hips, but the hands caught up quickly. Β In my swing, it appears I start with the hips, but my hands never seem to get "there". Β I don't imagine it would be a good thought to try to slow the hips. Β Not sure if "speeding up the hands" is a good swing thought though.

Your swing has progressed beyond the point where I can help you, but I can tell you that speeding up the hands is a viable swing thought. In fact, all of my own swings feel like arm swings; if I start to feel hip or leg action, I start to get Furyk-y. From what I can tell on my phone, you have inline impact at A7, so I'm not sure that your hands would be a priority anyway, unless you are having some path issues. Where's the DTL view?

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmmm. I'm not sure you want your hands to catch your hips. I might be misunderstanding, but I like to feel that my hips a cleared before my hands get "there" which is followed by the clubhead. I guess that depends on where "there" is. Anyone?

My thought too. Β When you watch pros in FO view in slow motion, it always looks like their hips get forward, then pause while they hands get down, and then the hands pause while the lag uncoils and they whip the club through to impact. Β Obviously pause is relative, not fully stopping, and it's definitely possible to be out of sequence with the hands too far behind. Β I just don't see a ton of that in the last video. Β Looks pretty great to my non-expert eye in fact.

See this pic for what I mean by "leaving the hands behind". Β At least it appears like that to me. Β I would think when the hips are that point in the downswing, the hands should be more forward.

Can I just say have read most of the 160+ comments on this post and the difference between the first videos and the last video is amazing. Its great that so many people are getting involved to help out. Have picked up a lot of hints and tips to help me with my game so thank you for creating this thread and good luck in your game (think you have nailed the swing etc.!!!)

Thanks for the kind words. Β I think it (my improvement) is a testament to the community we have here. Β Very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Time for an update. Β Really just a question for @mvmac

, or anybody else who wants to input. Β I am still working on the centered hip pivot, and trying to make sure I don't backslide on the other items at the same time.

I got an idea from the video you posted in the "hips" thread. Β It appears Funk started his swing with his hips, but the hands caught up quickly. Β In my swing, it appears I start with the hips, but my hands never seem to get "there". Β I don't imagine it would be a good thought to try to slow the hips. Β Not sure if "speeding up the hands" is a good swing thought though.

Your swing has progressed beyond the point where I can help you, but I can tell you that speeding up the hands is a viable swing thought. In fact, all of my own swings feel like arm swings; if I start to feel hip or leg action, I start to get Furyk-y.

From what I can tell on my phone, you have inline impact at A7, so I'm not sure that your hands would be a priority anyway, unless you are having some path issues. Where's the DTL view?

Don't think path would be an issue. Β At least not to my un-trained eye. Β Here is a DTL vid anyway. Β I have not posted one in awhile.

Again, Β I am not sure it is an issue. Β Or even how important it is. Β Just wanted to throw it out there.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I think it looks pretty good. Β I see what you mean. Β I agree that most pros swings I've seen release the lag later than you do right now which does lead to the hands being more forward at A6 than in your pic.

I won't claim to know if it's generally important, or generally important but not a priority right now. Β Your swing looks pretty good right now to me, and wildly improved. Β If you were to try to address it one thing that strikes me is that while your butt isn't coming way off the wall or anything, your hip drive is a little bit out towards right center. Β Your left hip is slightly closer to the ball at A6 and A7 than your right hip was at A4. Β It looks like you're more guiding the club head down with your right hip and hands instead of getting your left hip 100% cleared with everything in good position and driving through.

I won't claim to have great advice for the fix though as that's something I've been working on for a while and haven't totally figured out. Β I know for me that if I simply concentrate on sticking that left hip where I think it should go I'll sometimes hit bombed pretty push draws with less feeling of effort but usually just push my hands out early with the fuller rotation and hit big long pulls or ugly hard slices or weak flares, depending on other compensations. Β So I've got no good fix advice for you.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Path looks good to me. What I see is that you're pulling the right elbow behind you and you get a bit long. Your arms appear behind your hips and body because you put them there at A4. I think if you fix those two issues, the arm thing will fix itself.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

And what's up with the "CALIFORNIA" shirt? Β Aspirational? ;-)

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

@billchao , I do think you are right about the arms getting stuck behind. It is something @mvmac had me working on. While I think there has been some improvement on that end, I continue to work on it. I still think I leave the hands further behind at the start of the downswing though. [quote name="mdl" url="/t/73921/my-swing-14ledo81/150#post_1017908"]And what's up with the "CALIFORNIA" shirt? Β Aspirational?Β ;-) [/quote] I was wondering if one of you Cali guys would pick that up... :)

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

@billchao , I do think you are right about the arms getting stuck behind. It is something @mvmac had me working on. While I think there has been some improvement on that end, I continue to work on it.

Yea, I thought I remembered that, which is why I didn't embed the video of Erik with the green stripe taped to his shirt. [quote name="14ledo81" url="/t/73921/my-swing-14ledo81/150#post_1017914"]I still think I leave the hands further behind at the start of the downswing though.[/quote]I think you should focus on the other issues and then revisit this. Like I said, the downswing piece will likely get cleared when you solve the backswing piece.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

@billchao, I do think you are right about the arms getting stuck behind. It is something @mvmac had me working on. While I think there has been some improvement on that end, I continue to work on it.

Yea, I thought I remembered that, which is why I didn't embed the video of Erik with the green stripe taped to his shirt.

Quote:

I still think I leave the hands further behind at the start of the downswing though.

I think you should focus on the other issues and then revisit this. Like I said, the downswing piece will likely get cleared when you solve the backswing piece.

Actually Mike already did embed the video of Erik with the green stripe.

I agree with you on the other part. Β In a sense, the backswing piece IS the downswing piece.

-Matt-

See this pic for what I mean by "leaving the hands behind". Β At least it appears like that to me. Β I would think when the hips are that point in the downswing, the hands should be more forward.

Yea the hands could be more over the right hip in that image. Maybe the feel would be to get the hands down quicker. Also, you could do the preset impact drill, and really focus on getting the hands more forward at that position, slow motion, feeling where the hands should be at.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

In a sense, the backswing piece IS the downswing piece.

See the stupid monkey. Be the stupid monkey.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Yea the hands could be more over the right hip in that image. Maybe the feel would be to get the hands down quicker. Also, you could do the preset impact drill, and really focus on getting the hands more forward at that position, slow motion, feeling where the hands should be at.

I have had decent results with the feel of "hands - down and forward fast from top of backswing". Β Just not sure if this is something I should be doing right now.

Quote:

In a sense, the backswing piece IS the downswing piece.

See the stupid monkey. Be the stupid monkey.

The more I work on my swing, I see how hard it is to be the stupid monkey.

-Matt-

Brian at EvolvrΒ is having me work on something similar.Β  My hands tend to get too far behind me as well.Β  The drills I've been doing are designed to really feel the arms/hands in front of my torso throughout the entirety of the swing.Β  Doing this slow is easy but when I go to speed it up, it tends to be much harder, go figure.Β  I almost have to feel like my swing is more "armsy" which goes against everything you're told about the golf swing.Β  You might try to feel like your arms are more active in your swing.Β  As always, half swings at half speed to start.Β  Good luck!

Golf is hard.

Brian at EvolvrΒ is having me work on something similar.Β  My hands tend to get too far behind me as well.Β  The drills I've been doing are designed to really feel the arms/hands in front of my torso throughout the entirety of the swing.Β  Doing this slow is easy but when I go to speed it up, it tends to be much harder, go figure.Β  I almost have to feel like my swing is more "armsy" which goes against everything you're told about the golf swing.Β  You might try to feel like your arms are more active in your swing.Β  As always, half swings at half speed to start.Β  Good luck!

The hard part for me is that I need to feel less "armsy" in the backswing, and probably more "armsy" in the downswing.

-Matt-

I worked on the swing some this weekend with a little different focus. Β I am still working on the centered pivot (hips), and not letting the right elbow slide back. @billchao mentioned he thought I might be getting a little bit long on the back swing. Β I took some vids with a shorter backswing (practice swing), and it looked a bit better to me.

Hands definitely did not go so far back to hide behind my head, and the right elbow seems like it did not slide back so far either.

After doing practice back swings like this for awhile (and checking the camera), I tried a few full swings.

I was trying to stop the back swing here at the same spot as the practice swing. Β Not successful, but I realized I needed to have the thought of stopping the back swing sooner. Β Tried practicing that for a bit. Β Here is full swings from the end of the practice session.

Looks like I am still leaving the arms behind a bit at the start of the downswing, but (to me) the backswing looks better.

Anybody else agree/disagree with this assessment?

If it seems like this would be right (for me), I will try to ingrain these "feels" into my backswing.

-Matt-

I like your extension through and after impact. Β This is what I am starting to move towards.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I like your extension through and after impact. Β This is what I am starting to move towards.

Thanks. Β Apparently I got lucky with this. Β Not something I have actively worked on or thought about.

In fact, one of the things I can remember actively working on in the past (before I posted a swing thread) was swing hard with the body, and let the hands/arms follow. Β It appears I ingrained this pretty well, to bad it is not what I needed to do.

-Matt-

I hit up my local practice facility last night again (backyard). Β Thought I would post a few of the videos I took.

First is 6 iron FO. Β To my eye, these appear to be some of my best swings yet. Β I think I was able to get the hips turning more centered and the arms/right elbow not sliding around to far. Β Before, I was getting progress on either one, but not in the same swing.

Thoughts?

Next up is a couple of pitch shots with a 60 degree wedge. Β I think these were around 20 yards? Β Maybe 30 at the most.

I really have no idea here. Β Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Matt-

Note:Β This thread is 1094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!