IGNORED

My Swing (late347)

late347
Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fitter was right, it's your swing. Sounds like your path is left; you swing out to in. Equipment won't correct that. Your posture should be about the same with the driver as your other clubs. As for launch angle, it should be positive, or you're not hitting the ball in the air. You may be confusing that with angle of attack, which should ideally be positive, but most people hit down with their driver. Next time, try to snap a picture of the output screen with your phone or just write down the data on a piece of paper. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Really, it's helpful to have it, but not necessary. Just keep working on what you've been advised to do. Improvement is a marathon, not a Sprint. Also, I'm surprised you bought a club at all. My fitters have, in the past, recommended not buying a club at all because I hit poorly.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fitter was right, it's your swing. Sounds like your path is left; you swing out to in. Equipment won't correct that.

Your posture should be about the same with the driver as your other clubs. As for launch angle, it should be positive, or you're not hitting the ball in the air. You may be confusing that with angle of attack, which should ideally be positive, but most people hit down with their driver.

Next time, try to snap a picture of the output screen with your phone or just write down the data on a piece of paper. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Really, it's helpful to have it, but not necessary.

Just keep working on what you've been advised to do. Improvement is a marathon, not a Sprint.

Also, I'm surprised you bought a club at all. My fitters have, in the past, recommended not buying a club at all because I hit poorly.

Really?

Well tbh it was my first proper driver club. Mostly I need correct type shaft I suppose, it would be stiff shaft, and some beginner forgiveness in the clubhead.

Your golf stores don't service paying customer, that's strange...? ;-)

It was on sale anyways.

Really? Well tbh it was my first proper driver club. Mostly I need correct type shaft I suppose, it would be stiff shaft, and some beginner forgiveness in the clubhead. Your golf stores don't service paying customer, that's strange...? ;-) It was on sale anyways.

Really. If I'm hitting poorly at a fitting, they'll give me some pointers and we will try different head and shaft combinations, but if the equipment isn't doing much to improve my game, they will tell me so. I've walked away from more than one fitting with a recommendation to stick with my clubs and work on my swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I was at a loss of understanding why this happens.

Just check out some of the posts from the last few weeks on this thread, work on Key #1.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/74145/my-swing-late347/18#post_994323

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

lol I was hitting some golf shots with my feet together, for a drill...

I was hitting balls better, almost equal distance and better accuracy with my feet and legs together. This with 7 iron. :-O

It sounds like I gotta use the legs correctly in the golf swing...?

lol I was hitting some golf shots with my feet together, for a drill... I was hitting balls better, almost equal distance and better accuracy with my feet and legs together. This with 7 iron. :-O It sounds like I gotta use the legs correctly in the golf swing...?

Sounds like you gotta work on Key #1. Hard to sway when your feet are together, without losing your balance.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

"Optimum swing" is not even in the picture if he flips his clubs at impact.

Flipping takes a very large amount of the power out of the shot. In some cases up to 10%, and distance is robbed by up to 50% because the ball generally goes really high. If he hit his PW 150 yards with a flip and a high shot, his swing speed would be unbelievably high and does not make any sense. If he is accurately measuring and reporting his distance, then he is very likely thinning the PW 150 yards, and has created a swing that flips and hits low on the face. Which would not even close to a good swing and far from optimal.

This is why it is important to get the correct information before any real advice can be given. Everything is a guess.

To be honest, I had a bit of an epiphany regarding the golf swing. I was myself, trying out the so-called Mike Austin- swing style at the range.

I was hitting very good iron shots with that swing style. Color me impressed, because it was only  my second time I was trying out this new swing style ever.

The gist of this swing seems to be the early release of the club at the beginning of the downswing (what Nicklaus described about his own release from the top move)

What prevents it from being a legitimate casting move, is the violent weightshift to forward leg, which allows the hands to stay fast, through, to the impact zone.

Hard to gauge exact carry distances , but my 9-iron distance improved for sure, at least about 10-20 yards with this new swing. I was hitting 9-iron total distance 150+ yards.

My normal yardage for the golf course used to be, 9-iron 130 yards. That's what I play with at the golf course for better or worse!

I also hit some mad distance with my 5-iron, total distance 200+ yard. I could hardly believe the distances I was getting.

Like an instant boost 5mph to clubhead speed. Now, admittedly the rolls are good at the range because it's artificial turf, but I was legitimately excited about those results.

Driver was also more consistent it seemed. I was getting 260ish carry distance quite readily with the new swing (rolls were impacting the back fence). There was also a couple legit 270 carry distance drives. (impact back fence in the air)

No you werent. [quote name="late347" url="/t/74788/my-swing-joe-hill/72#post_1012454"] I was hitting 9-iron total distance 150+ yards. I also hit some mad distance with my 5-iron, total distance 200+ yard. Driver was also more consistent it seemed. I was getting 260ish carry distance quite readily with the new swing. [/quote] That or your handicap is an outright lie.-I saw your My Swing thread. --SPeaking of which this should be over there not in this thread.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

No you werent.

That or your handicap is an outright lie.-I saw your My Swing thread.

--SPeaking of which this should be over there not in this thread.

That's because I made total swing change since then! Therefore, my new swing is not on video (as of yet).

I WILL TRY TO GET confirmed yardages for you sceptics, with a laser rangefinder after some time during this season. It costs like 250e though, but hopefully it will be useful at the golf course too.

I will say though, that I used yardages according to the range staff when I asked about the backfence distance to the clubhouse door (for the driver distance). So, I can only hope that I was really hitting it up there, at the same yardage!!! So, if the rangefinder shows shorter distances, well that's embarrassing for sure! :8) But for this reason, I always try to get the clubhouse door hitting mat, at the range, so I can compare distances better from the same location.

Yardages did seem to improve at least to my eye, with all my irons, and wedges, when I was at the golfing range. I was hitting my best golf shots ever, this week, as far as distance was concerned.

My hcp is about 30 (american hcp). I don't play too often yet this season. I'm still somewhat recovering from a muscle strain.

off topic but whatever, it's up to the mods anyhow

:-D

That's because I made total swing change since then! Therefore, my new swing is not on video (as of yet).

I WILL TRY TO GET confirmed yardages for you sceptics, with a laser rangefinder after some time during this season. It costs like 250e though, but hopefully it will be useful at the golf course too.

I will say though, that I used yardages according to the range staff when I asked about the backfence distance to the clubhouse door (for the driver distance). So, I can only hope that I was really hitting it up there, at the same yardage!!! So, if the rangefinder shows shorter distances, well that's embarrassing for sure! But for this reason, I always try to get the clubhouse door hitting mat, at the range, so I can compare distances better from the same location.

Yardages did seem to improve at least to my eye, with all my irons, and wedges, when I was at the golfing range. I was hitting my best golf shots ever, this week, as far as distance was concerned.

My hcp is about 30 (american hcp). I don't play too often yet this season. I'm still somewhat recovering from a muscle strain.

off topic but whatever, it's up to the mods anyhow

With the GI lofts on the clubs I don't find it difficult to believe the yardages for your 9i, 5i IDK.

You should put the 30 in your handicap. ;-) , although I will say that unless you are below bogey it will be hard for anyone to believe that you hit your 9i 150+ yards. Just think that a par 4 is generally 300 to 400 yards. If you really hit the 9i 150 carry and can hit the 5i 200 yards carry, you should be able to hit greens with 5i and 9i (or less) and your handicap would be in the low single digits. That is, unless you are a 66 putt golfer.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

It's likely to look a lot more like your old swing than you think.

It's only been two months. One of the game's best players of all time takes years to make swing changes that you can barely see unless you watch, and he does so while hitting thousands of balls  a day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

With the GI lofts on the clubs I don't find it difficult to believe the yardages for your 9i, 5i IDK.

You should put the 30 in your handicap. , although I will say that unless you are below bogey it will be hard for anyone to believe that you hit your 9i 150+ yards. Just think that a par 4 is generally 300 to 400 yards. If you really hit the 9i 150 carry and can hit the 5i 200 yards carry, you should be able to hit greens with 5i and 9i (or less) and your handicap would be in the low single digits. That is, unless you are a 66 putt golfer.

well, it was total distances those iron clubs, I'd estimate.

rangefinders would help so much I think!

the course scorecards just have lousy distances in them.

And rangefinder would help to laze out the distance to fairway bunkers which would help me a lot.

since I oftentimes roll out my ball into fairway bunkers (sometimes also the green bunkers) :-(

Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!