IGNORED

My Swing (CarlSpackler)

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The rain held off, so I managed to make it to the range for a while last night. I worked on pointing my toes out and looking down at the ball. I thought I was looking down at the ball, but video evidence proves otherwise. If I tilt my head down any further, my shoulder will hit it in the backswing I think. Also, with my toes pointed out, I still seem to be swaying to the right. Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are NOT swaying to the right, the shaft gets steep in downswing, due to right shoulder, and right elbow move, no right side lateral bend to start DS. BUT you have to remember that body structure plays a lot in why you swing like that. You are a "robust" build , ala Craig Stadler, who hits a right to left fade. Practice club face control, where you want ball to start. Set up 3 practice alignment rods to create 2 goal post maybe 5 yards apart, 15 to 20 yards out, center rod is target, rod on left of center practice hitting a fade between the left/center practice starting ball between them. Do the same with center/right rods and practice slight draws, (which is the one you should practice more, to help flatten out the shaft on way down)

Hope that makes sense

Lloyd Higley

Town Hero

5SK Director of Instruction, Chicago, IL

Practicing a draw is not a problem. I can hit those all day. If I step up to a tee shot that turns left, I'm happy happy happy. Would it be helpful to get videos hitting a draw / hook?

- Shane

The shot you say kills you is a pull, so where is face pointing at impact with that pull ? Just saying practice face control in relationship to path.  path.....

Lloyd Higley

Town Hero

??? [quote name="chgogolfcoach" url="/t/74154/my-swing-carlspackler/18#post_984049"]You are NOT swaying to the right…[/quote] [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/74154/my-swing-carlspackler#post_982828"]First thing to do would be to turn the feet out at address. Will help the hips turn more and stay centered.  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/96888/] [/URL][/quote] Im with @mvmac on this one.-PIvot causing problems that should be fixed first.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

The shot you say kills you is a pull, so where is face pointing at impact with that pull ? Just saying practice face control in relationship to path.  path.....

My typical shot is turning to the left. My bad shot is a pull that goes further left. In the videos posted, the shots are going relatively straight or with a slight cut which I prefer unless the hole is a dogleg left. Again, maybe it would be helpful if I posted a video hitting draw for comparison.

- Shane

Sure, but let me ask you ? What is your self diagnose ? Where does your ball start ? How far right or left of target ? How much turn ?

Lloyd Higley

Town Hero

Sure, but let me ask you ? What is your self diagnose ? Where does your ball start ? How far right or left of target ? How much turn ?

I don't know that I'm qualified to self diagnose, but here are some observations. On my first tee shot of the year, I lined up down the center of the fairway, gripped and ripped without thinking about it. The ball started about 20 deg left and made a hard turn to the left and down. Next tee shot with a 5i (par 3) started about 15 deg left and went straight. On the 3rd with trees and OB right, hitting my 3w I line up to the tree line expecting the pull/draw and hit a straight push OB. I tee up another aiming further left and hit it straight as an arrow into the right rough. Finally get to a wide open par 5 and line up down the middle of the fairway and blast it straight and draws leaving me a foot or so in the left rough. From that side I'm blocked by a tree, so I grab my 3w and hit towards the right rough and it draws back to the middle of the fairway leaving me a pitch and a putt for bird. Next hole is a straight pull with the 3w into a tree guarding the dogleg that kicks it straight back. After a short pitch to the bend since I am blocked by the tree, I hit a 9i to 8' that I barley missed. Pretty sure I would have made it, but the greens were shaggy and bumpy. It went on from there, but I knew that I need to fix my swing for consistency. Most of the shots that I'm hitting on the range are hitting the target or are pretty close. I occasionally hit one fat though. I'm happy with the results for the most part, but seeing my swing on video makes me cringe. Primarily the flip and chicken wing.

I tried analyzing my swing by the 5 keys. Looking at my head and referencing an object in the background, it appears to be still through the back swing. It lowers in the down swing which I believe is normal, but it does move forward some going into the "hitting zone". Not sure if that is normal or bad. For key #2, my weight has primarily shifted left at impact and my left heel is already off the ground it appears. It seems to me that I am sliding my hips too much. #3 is a big fat 0. I think this is because I am accelerating the club, but my chicken wing is holding off the release. I think the chicken wing is my protection against the big hook, but who knows. #4 I am unclear on the meaning of this one. #5 I can certainly hit a draw and have even pulled off big hooks to get out of trouble. I can hit a fade, but have to concentrate more to pull this off and often it goes straight. I can also pull off a low shot to stay under tree branches, but distance control needs more work. I can hit a higher shot, but my success percentage is not so great as it usually results in a fat shot. I will usually opt to go under or around a tree.

So the big thing for me is to kill the flip and chicken wing. When hitting these shots, I swear it feels like my hands are leading, but when I watch the video, I think "What the..."

I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for @chgogolfcoach , but that is where my brain is at. I'm trying to be "stupid monkey" since what I've been doing is not taking me to the next level in ball striking.

p.s. - I appreciate all the help and insights from everyone.

- Shane

Will talk more. But I will toss this out to you. its a 4 hour ride to Chicago and i will be more than happy to spend a few hours with you, for free, (you can buy me lunch).

Lloyd Higley

Town Hero

Will talk more. But I will toss this out to you. its a 4 hour ride to Chicago and i will be more than happy to spend a few hours with you, for free, (you can buy me lunch).

That's awesome! I'll check the schedule and see if we can work something out. My wife's family lives in Rockford, and we travel out there occasionally to visit. Lunch is certainly no problem. Lot's of good places to eat there.

- Shane

Went out last night in the cold, blustery wind. Was working on eliminating the slight over the top move. Still seeing it, but it doesn't seem to be as pronounced.

- Shane

I like it...remember to make a change in a motor pattern takes a long time, (especially at our age) your pattern is pretty much set, subtle changes is all we can expect. Also body type plays a big role. To me with the pattern you have a high baby fade would seem to fit.  You may want to practice hitting low stingers just to add that shot to your bag and it would help with a bit lowering your ball flight. looking forward to seeing you in person soon....

Lloyd Higley

Town Hero

I like it...remember to make a change in a motor pattern takes a long time, (especially at our age) your pattern is pretty much set, subtle changes is all we can expect. Also body type plays a big role. To me with the pattern you have a high baby fade would seem to fit.  You may want to practice hitting low stingers just to add that shot to your bag and it would help with a bit lowering your ball flight. looking forward to seeing you in person soon....

Yes. We're going to try to coordinate a trip to Rockford soon. It's always fun to go out and play with my wife's cousins too.

In this swing, I was reverting back to an old swing pattern where I would hit a draw but with a tendency to pull shots. Many of these shots were turning left despite stiff right to left wind. I would actually prefer a little cut, especially on iron shots. The DTL video was taken standing behind me, not the ball unfortunately, so the angle is not that great. I need to have another chat with my camera man. =) It's nice that my son has taken an interest and likes going with me though.

I'll try to post a video of me hitting low shots.

Another thing I noticed last night was that the green mat goo was all on the heel of my club. The long range was closed for picking, so we were hitting from the short range mats. At any rate, it hit me that I never had these clubs bent flat. DOH!

- Shane

Using this as a journal of sorts, I will enter some potential issues popping up.

1. There is a cut on the inside of my right pointer finger that is getting aggravated and not healing. I've had this in the past and it get's aggravated by hitting golf balls. I may need to add a glove on my right hand.

2. I am developing a significant pain in my right foot that makes walking a bit uncomfortable. Concerned it's from the repetition of hitting so many golf balls. Will have to monitor this one.

- Shane

• Administrator
Also wondering if this drill will help. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/swingfix-swing-release-drill

No. Please don't do that.

You live near @saevel25 too, so you could always carpool with him to Erie sometime. :-) We might need a fourth for a round on May 24/25th too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!