IGNORED

7W or 9W; Worth carrying?

Note: This thread is 6100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, it would. If you can hit your woods well a 7 wood could really benefit you.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

The generic recommendation nowadays is to pick up a few hybrids.

I agree, get a hybrid

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Check out Cleveland's HiBore irons .
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

depends on age....I think no one under 50 should have those two clubs - 7 and 9 wood.

I agree with the rest that a hybrid is the way to go
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

no..7 and 9 woods are for chicks

depends on age....I think no one under 50 should have those two clubs - 7 and 9 wood.

IIRC, Vijay Singh used to carry a 7W or a 9W. I forget which. Vijay's not a chick and he's not 50+. I'm not saying hybrids aren't the way to go - I have hybrids and don't much care for fairway woods at all.

Onto the question at hand.
Would it be worth my effort to pick up a 7 or 9 wood and drop a long iron out of my bag? I rarely hit either of my long irons.

If you rarely hit your long irons, remove them for

something . You can carry 14 clubs, and there's no sense having a club you don't hit. That's why I got rid of my 5-Wood: I hate hitting fairway woods off the deck and I've never played a course where I needed one of them off the tee. Do you have to replace them with hybrids or the equivalent woods? This depends on why you don't hit them. Let's say you're considering replacing a 3-Iron. You could get a 3-Hybrid or a 7-Wood. Or you could put another wedge in the bag. It depends on why you're replacing the 3-Iron. Maybe your course is such that you don't ever have a 3-Iron shot. You hit it, say, 180 yards (taking my 3H distance). Your par-3s are either much longer or much shorter. Your drives leave you either 220+ yards to go on a hole or less than 150. You rarely, if ever, need a 180-yard shot. But in the wedge department, you only carry the PW that came with your iron set. You hit it a comfortable 100 yards, but you sometimes find yourself with 80-yard shots and improvising with your PW. Meanwhile, that 3-Iron watches with amusement, possibly still shiny and new. You could take out the 3-Iron and place a gap wedge or sand wedge in the bag. Then, when you have that 80-yard shot, you have a club that will allow you to take a more usual swing to hit the distance you desire. And if you find yourself with a 180-yard shot, which might otherwise be a 3-Iron shot, you probably have a 5-Wood or 4-Iron, and can decide whether you want risk it short or long (evaluate long and short hazards, the lie, etc and decide). And if you find yourself consistently facing this shot, you can then re-evaluate the 3-Iron or 7-Wood in place of some club. So, your reason may be more than that. You have shots that require a 3-Iron during the round. But you can't seem to hit it right with regularity. It comes up fat, or thin, or sliced, or you hit another club because you expect these results. Well, then the "same distance different club" rule applies. If you love your 3- and 5-Woods, give a 7-Wood a try. If you don't, or want to experiment, give a hybrid a try. Wait for a demo van to get to your area and ask to try these clubs. If the salesmen say something bad about you hitting a 7-Wood, try their hybrid for the experience, but go to another brand for your eventual decision. So, that evaluates the reasons you might want to remove a 3-Iron in favor of a 7-Wood, 3-Hybrid, or Sand Wedge. Is it worth your effort? Aren't new clubs always fun to hit? If it means you eat at home twice more per week than before, and bring your lunch to work 3 days a week to save up the money for the club... well, these are probably good habits anyway. In other words, I'm not sure what you mean by effort to change the clubs. Oh, and above all -- don't change the clubs during a round. That'd be cheating.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like my 7 wood, its a dunlop and was a freebee, but it has gotten me out of some jams when my hybrid (20*) and my 5 iron don't suit the shot. Especially off the tee, I seem to hit my 7w better than my hybrid.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

Would it be worth my effort to pick up a 7 or 9 wood and drop a long iron out of my bag? I rarely hit either of my long irons.

I hit my fairway woods better than my hybrids so for me, yes, and I'll be trading my 4 hybrid for a 7 wood.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

im whole thing is control if u can not hit ur irons them like the metioned hybrids are the way to go. kind of both of best worlds. i like the H2 H3 and so and also maybe cobra hope it works out for u

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

> I agree with the rest that a hybrid is the way to go

I replaced my Adams 17 degree hybrid with a 7-wood and am very glad I made the change.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

Is a 7W so much different than a hybrid? Why all the fuss?

Driver: Superquad 9.5° - XS
3 Wood: Big Bertha II 15° - S
Irons: Mizuno MX-20
Wedges: Mizuno 50-06, 56-11, 60-05
Putter: Hog Mallet

Nice post ^.
I'd say change it for a 3 Hybrid, but you should try whatever you like.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Put whatever you hit better in the bag. There is no "one solution" for every golfer. Most like hybrids, some like woods. You really need to hit them both and see what you hit well and what you are confident over. Asking someone else for their opinion in your personal club selection doesnt make much sense.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Note: This thread is 6100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!