IGNORED

Need 9 degree Driver Help!!

Note: This thread is 3638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The ultimate lesson from this. GET FITTED by a good fitter. Launch monitors are a great asset in helping decipher all of this. Heck the SLDR might not be good for you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How high is high with the 10.5? I hit pretty high as well, but am starting to consider it a normal drive and not high enough. Having spent the season with really good players teaching my son's team, I realized that all the good players hit really high.  A controlled higher flight, but really high.

The height of the driving range nets is not high enough to retain their normal shots.

A couple D1 players came to our local range to teach the kids. Their drives basically flew over the net 250 yards away. All of them. BTW, a 52 degree wedge goes 140 yards for them, and the balls go even higher.

Now, they can also shape their drives by teeing up lower to get a low penetrating flight as well, but this is only for wind as they explained.

High is not a problem from what I have seen.

To be honest, Bro, I do not know officially what too high is!  I just look at it from a physics kind of point of view.  Not knowing if I was correct or not, I went with the 9 degree.  After hitting some solids with the 9, I realized that lower trajectory worked for me based on the distances I observed at the driving range.  A good drive landed at a more shallow angle.  The shallow angle plus ball speed gave me a lot of roll.

I will not argue with science and technology and Taylor Made.  Lofting less did however kick my drive up a notch.  Just got to get her straight consistently.

To be honest, Bro, I do not know officially what too high is!  I just look at it from a physics kind of point of view.  Not knowing if I was correct or not, I went with the 9 degree.  After hitting some solids with the 9, I realized that lower trajectory worked for me based on the distances I observed at the driving range.  A good drive landed at a more shallow angle.  The shallow angle plus ball speed gave me a lot of roll.

I will not argue with science and technology and Taylor Made.  Lofting less did however kick my drive up a notch.  Just got to get her straight consistently.

My 9 degree TM Burner with the same shaft as my Ping G15 hits longer, but a good chunk of it is roll. If I need to make a 230 yard carry, I know I can comfortably do it with the Ping 10.5 driver while the TM 9 driver would probably miss it.

So, I guess what is better really depends upon the courses you play.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks savel

Side spin doesn't exist. There is only one spin, and it spins on one axis. How much that axis tilts determines the curve of the ball flight. That is determined by the clubface orientation to the swing path.

Yes lofting up works. The reason is the center of gravity is low and forward. This creates a huge gear effect that reduces spin. So what they can do is get you to launch higher at impact, then the ball will flatten out and look like a more boring trajectory. This increases carry and roll. More and more drivers now are able to have very thing crowns of the club and heavier bottoms to move the weight down. SLDR is the only driver that really focused on moving the weight forward as well.

Thanks for this. I might have to check out the SLDR now. I launch my drive really high. I have an R11s set to 7.5 and still get more height than anyone I ever see. My backspin numbers are crazy high. So maybe I need to go hit the SLDR on a LM and see.

James

Sometimes it's the shaft. I had friends who had the driver head i wanted and 3 completely different shafts. I hit all 3 a lot at the range and the shaft I liked surprised me.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!