IGNORED

2014 Players Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow. That's clutch! That ball would have gone in a shot glass too!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For all of those saying not having enough time to warmup after the break...need to stop. Everyone is getting the same treatment. Its not like they all went an sat in an icebox for 3 weeks. They breaked for an hour. He just needs to close.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

For all of those saying not having enough time to warmup after the break...need to stop. Everyone is getting the same treatment. Its not like they all went an sat in an icebox for 3 weeks. They breaked for an hour. He just needs to close.

I agree. Its part of the game. Also, I could be wrong, but isn't there a standard (as in a rule) amount of time they are allowed to warm up following a delay?

Unless Martin does something wrong, looks like he's gonna be the winnha...Good run by Furyk though.

What a monkey humping putt

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I thought he'd thrown it away, that putt alone justifies his position on the leaderboard. I honesty thought he'd crumble completely after his double bogey 6.

Very happy for him!

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Martin Kaymer 1 63 69 72 71 275 $1,800,000
Jim Furyk 2 70 68 72 66 276 $1,080,000
Sergio Garcia 3 67 71 69 70 277 $680,000

I am glad Kaymer held on; he deserved a proper comeback win. But Furyk and Garcia (of course, Spieth as well) would have been noble winners. I enjoyed this Players'; for some reason, I was spellbound by the guys chasing Martin's Thursday score.

:titleist:  913D2 10.5*  913F 15* 18*  913H  21*  24*  27*    :tmade: Burner Superfast 7i  8i  9i   :vokey: Vokey SM4  48*  52*  56*  60*    :cameron:  Newport 2 Notchback (Black)      :srixon:  Z Star XV (Yellow)    :ecco:  Biom Hybrid

As impressive as Spieth was Thurs - Sat, he faltered again on Sunday. It seemed like he was more emotional than previous rounds. His walk was quicker, face tighter and he seemed to be anguishing over missed putts and bad shots. It definitely seemed like he was starting to think about winning instead of the shot at hand. After Spieth made a few bogeys, I heard Capt. Obvious (a.k.a. - J. Miller) say that he can't expect Kaymer to mess up. Certainly not, but you can't worry about what someone else is doing or not doing. Had he remained content with making pars, Kaymer's double on 15 may have given Spieth the win. Pressing in golf rarely works out. Hopefully he learns to contain his emotions on Sunday too.

- Shane

As impressive as Spieth was Thurs - Sat, he faltered again on Sunday. It seemed like he was more emotional than previous rounds. His walk was quicker, face tighter and he seemed to be anguishing over missed putts and bad shots. It definitely seemed like he was starting to think about winning instead of the shot at hand. After Spieth made a few bogeys, I heard Capt. Obvious (a.k.a. - J. Miller) say that he can't expect Kaymer to mess up. Certainly not, but you can't worry about what someone else is doing or not doing. Had he remained content with making pars, Kaymer's double on 15 may have given Spieth the win. Pressing in golf rarely works out. Hopefully he learns to contain his emotions on Sunday too.

Speith's fall began on Saturday afternoon.  He was 10/10 fairways going into the middle of the back nine, then all of the sudden started spraying it.  He made a few really good pars late on Saturday, but his ballstriking never really recovered after that.  Obviously he was solid out of the gate Sunday, but when the sideways monkey came back on #5, he never got it back.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Speith's fall began on Saturday afternoon.  He was 10/10 fairways going into the middle of the back nine, then all of the sudden started spraying it.  He made a few really good pars late on Saturday, but his ballstriking never really recovered after that.  Obviously he was solid out of the gate Sunday, but when the sideways monkey came back on #5, he never got it back.

True, but he seemed to remain calm and scrambled for pars Saturday. He just seemed to be noticeably pressing on the back nine yesterday.

- Shane

True, but he seemed to remain calm and scrambled for pars Saturday. He just seemed to be noticeably pressing on the back nine yesterday.

Speith has done this all year on Sundays -- much more fidgety and emotional. I guess it's nerves. He's won once but it was a come-from-behind win. Hasn't shown that he can be a front-runner yet. If he keeps putting himself in position, he'll eventually break through and hopefully from there, it will be a tidal wave.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

The best thing Spieth is doing is putting himself in these positions at such a young age and gaining experience. David Duval had something like 15 runners up before he broke out with his first win. Eventually he's going to know how to handle himself in these positions and know how to win tournaments. Consistency sometimes is a better thing than winning when you're so young.

Speith has done this all year on Sundays -- much more fidgety and emotional. I guess it's nerves. He's won once but it was a come-from-behind win. Hasn't shown that he can be a front-runner yet. If he keeps putting himself in position, he'll eventually break through and hopefully from there, it will be a tidal wave.

The best thing Spieth is doing is putting himself in these positions at such a young age and gaining experience. David Duval had something like 15 runners up before he broke out with his first win. Eventually he's going to know how to handle himself in these positions and know how to win tournaments. Consistency sometimes is a better thing than winning when you're so young.

True. I think he has a bright future. He can't legally have a champagne to celebrate a major victory at this point.

• Upvote 1

- Shane

Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!