IGNORED

Evolution of High Launch and Low Spin

Note: This thread is 2471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I attended a TaylorMade event for their new driver earlier in the week and wanted to share some interesting slides from the presentation. I'm not starting this thread to promote their new clubs but to highlight how launch conditions have changed and how it can benefit your game.

Some of you may be familiar with the term "high launch and low spin", it basically refers to the "key" to hitting your driver further. You get the ball up in the air with a certain amount of spin to maximize carry distance as well as "roll out" distance once the ball lands. Typically, launching it high meant 12-14 degrees and low spin was around 2500rpm. I think there is a huge misconception out there that pros hit the ball low with their drivers, that might have been the case 20-30 years ago but it's a much different story now. Go any professional event and I think you'd be surprised at how high they launch their tee shots.

Interesting look at how launch and spin has changed over the past 23 years. Obviously the ball has played a huge role. Older balata balls spun a lot so you had to launch the ball lower to maximize distance. Then with the introduction of solid core, multi-layered balls, players were able to launch it higher since the ball spun less.

TaylorMade is now talking about the "Holy Grail" of 17 degrees launch at 1700rpm. I think I first heard these numbers about a year ago.

Does this mean you have to go out and buy the latest TaylorMade driver? Not necessarily, they certainly feel that the low and forward CoG helps but basically all drivers are built for "high launch and low spin" playability. Point is don't be afraid to go out and try an 11 or 12 degree driver. JB Holmes was the second player this year to win with a 12 degree driver.

The ability to hit your driver with a positive angle of attack will also reduce spin and launch it higher.

Here's why all this matters. Two players, Justin Rose and Michael Bradley, ball speed is the same yet Rose hits it 27.5 yards further. Why? Because Rose launches it higher with less spin. Taylor vs Watney is eye opening as well, they hit it the same distance but Watney's ball speed is 14 mph faster.

Few graphs on how everyone, 175mph ball speed to 125mph can benefit. If you can hit the ball farther, there is a very, very good chance you'll shoot lower scores.

x-axis is spin, y-axis is launch angle

Little blurry for the next one. From left to right, Club head speed, percentage of golfers, and suggested lofts. The suggestions are bolded but it's tough to see here.

So for:

70-90 - 12 or 14 degrees

>90 -  10 or 12 degrees

Quick look at the "bag of the future".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for posting @mvmac .  I switched to a 12 degree Titleist 910 end of last season.  I still need to keep working on getting my launch angle up, but things are improving.  My swing speed is around 90.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I attended a TaylorMade event for their new driver earlier in the week and wanted to share some interesting slides from the presentation. I'm not starting this thread to promote their new clubs but to highlight how launch conditions have changed and how it can benefit your game.

Some of you may be familiar with the term "high launch and low spin", it basically refers to the "key" to hitting your driver further. You get the ball up in the air with a certain amount of spin to maximize carry distance as well as "roll out" distance once the ball lands. Typically, launching it high meant 12-14 degrees and low spin was around 2500rpm. I think there is a huge misconception out there that pros hit the ball low with their drivers, that might have been the case 20-30 years ago but it's a much different story now. Go any professional event and I think you'd be surprised at how high they launch their tee shots.

Few graphs on how everyone, 175mph ball speed to 125mph can benefit. If you can hit the ball farther, there is a very, very good chance you'll shoot lower scores.

x-axis is spin, y-axis is launch angle

Little blurry for the next one. From left to right, Club head speed, percentage of golfers, and suggested lofts. The suggestions are bolded but it's tough to see here.

So for:

<70 club head speed, recommended loft for a driver is 14 or 16,

70-90 - 12 or 14 degrees

>90 -  10 or 12 degrees

Thanks for posting these, it's good information. Couple questions:

Are these all carry distances?

There's a chart for loft angle, and for >90mph it seems to still suggest that a 10-12 degree angle is suggested. So, if you use a 10 degree lofted club does this mean you would need somewhere like a 7 degree positive AoA? If so, can we possibly see 4" tees in the near future?

Thanks for posting @mvmac .  I switched to a 12 degree Titleist 910 end of last season.  I still need to keep working on getting my launch angle up, but things are improving.  My swing speed is around 90.

What kind of carry distances are you getting?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There's a chart for loft angle, and for >90mph it seems to still suggest that a 10-12 degree angle is suggested. So, if you use a 10 degree lofted club does this mean you would need somewhere like a 7 degree positive AoA? If so, can we possibly see 4" tees in the near future?

What kind of carry distances are you getting?

210 -220 with a good drive.  Last year I was launching lower and getting less carry 190 - 200.  I have moved my ball position forward (off left front toe) and working with my instructor in Evolvr to launch higher as well.

Scott

My Swing Thread

210 -220 with a good drive.  Last year I was launching lower and getting less carry 190 - 200.  I have moved my ball position forward (off left front toe) and working with my instructor in Evolvr to launch higher as well.

Was you roll longer?

I only ask because this high launch seems to create a situation where the ball lands at a much steeper angle and could lose forward energy upon landing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No total distance.

+7 AoA is on the extreme end, you start sacrificing consistency and contact. 1-3 up is good generally enough. @iacas can probably speak more to this.

Mike McLoughlin

Was you roll longer?

I only ask because this high launch seems to create a situation where the ball lands at a much steeper angle and could lose forward energy upon landing.

In some situations, yes.  But mostly no.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Is it always linear? Does higher launch create the lower spin? or can you have a high launch, high spin scenario and not have the ball go as far?

Kurt

Is it always linear? Does higher launch create the lower spin? or can you have a high launch, high spin scenario and not have the ball go as far?

No, higher launch itself doesn't create less spin. It's a combo of technology and swing mechanics.

You can absolutely have a high launch, high spin scenario just as you can have a low spin, low launch scenario, both would suck for distance. The only other option that would be "okay" for distance would be low launch, high spin. How the tour players hit it 20-30 years ago but that won't work now because of the modern ball characteristics.

Mike McLoughlin

No, higher launch itself doesn't create less spin. It's a combo of technology and swing mechanics.

You can absolutely have a high launch, high spin scenario just as you can have a low spin, low launch scenario, both would suck for distance. The only other option that would be "okay" for distance would be low launch, high spin. How the tour players hit it 20-30 years ago but that won't work now because of the modern ball characteristics.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was something like that, but wanted to make sure.

Kurt

What's the main difference? Is it the soft covers? Soft core? Or something else?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What's the main difference? Is it the soft covers? Soft core? Or something else?

They spin less

http://www.golf.com/photos/golf-equipment-changed-game/titleist-pro-v1

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac, i n your opinion, do you think a low shot with the driver is necessary in the modern game? Or will the benefits of increased distance outweigh it?

Personally if I could be more consistent by only hitting my driver high, I would give up the low trajectory shot even in the wind. Most of the time I'd do it with my irons, too.

The aerodynamics of balls have also changed, much better durability and better launch conditions versus balata, and a bit of higher ball speed as well.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

@mvmac, in your opinion, do you think a low shot with the driver is necessary in the modern game? Or will the benefits of increased distance outweigh it?

Personally if I could be more consistent by only hitting my driver high, I would give up the low trajectory shot even in the wind. Most of the time I'd do it with my irons, too.

The aerodynamics of balls have also changed, much better durability and better launch conditions versus balata, and a bit of higher ball speed as well.

I don't see the purpose of a low driver shot in today's game, unless you don't feel like hitting a 3 wood and you try to "bunt" a driver out there. When it's windy I don't change anything, I still try to launch it high, optimal is optimal, if the spin is low the wind won't effect it much.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for sharing @mvmac How does this change driving into the wind? Less spin I would guess means ball won't be pushed up as much by the wind but launch is higher so it's a wash? Does teeing it low and swinging slower still apply?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I don't see the purpose of a low driver shot in today's game, unless you don't feel like hitting a 3 wood and you try to "bunt" a driver out there. When it's windy I don't change anything, I still try to launch it high, optimal is optimal, if the spin is low the wind won't effect it much.

I was afraid of answering this question, but this is what I've seen with my higher (not 'pro-level' high) launching drives.

Thanks for sharing @mvmac

How does this change driving into the wind?

Less spin I would guess means ball won't be pushed up as much by the wind but launch is higher so it's a wash?

Does teeing it low and swinging slower still apply?

This is what I found: I was hitting into the wind yesterday, and a lot of people were struggling with the headwind (actually it was only a 10mph-15mph breeze). Well, only two of them were making any serious attempts.

I tried the low tee shot and the balls ballooned from the extra backspin of the downward AoA. Tried about 10 shots with the low drives of varied tee heights (1/4" total variation).

The high tee and upward AoA swings still went roughly the same distances as when there were moments of no wind. Got about 50 balls worth of data from these with the high drives with varied face orientations. Also of note, draws became almost hooks and fades became almost slices at the ends of their flights when hitting into the wind.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Thanks for sharing @mvmac

How does this change driving into the wind?

Less spin I would guess means ball won't be pushed up as much by the wind but launch is higher so it's a wash?

Does teeing it low and swinging slower still apply?

A high spinning ball will balloon more into the wind because the wind will increase the spin on the ball.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

A high spinning ball will balloon more into the wind because the wind will increase the spin on the ball.

I think it's that the effect of the ball spinning will be exaggerated by the wind because the Magnus effect is proportional to the velocity as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!