IGNORED

My first US Open Qualifier experience

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow, come back from shooting a 70 at my home course to find this thread blown up! Wow, OK yes I shot a 90 at Tumble Creek. I've mostly gotten over it.  The course I usually play has slow bumpy greens, so going to tournament style greens right away is hard, and I didn't know how to prepare for it.  I don't play in many competitions or tournaments, hence why my handicap may be lower than it might be otherwise.  That is one thing though that I want to change around, is to play in more competitions.  Once I get a new phone, I'll post my swing and you can start judging me all you want.  Though, quite frankly I could care less what anyone on this thread thinks about my game or chances to make it, but one way or another I will make it eventually.  If you want to come out here and play with me, I'd be glad to show you my game.

I also just bought the vokie sm5 wedges and a new fatty putter grip, in case someone cares.

I like this forum for the information and experiences people share. I thought I'd share my experience in a tough competition.  Obviously, I should've kept it to myself.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, come back from shooting a 70 at my home course to find this thread blown up! Wow, OK yes I shot a 90 at Tumble Creek. I've mostly gotten over it.  The course I usually play has slow bumpy greens, so going to tournament style greens right away is hard, and I didn't know how to prepare for it.  I don't play in many competitions or tournaments, hence why my handicap may be lower than it might be otherwise.  That is one thing though that I want to change around, is to play in more competitions.  Once I get a new phone, I'll post my swing and you can start judging me all you want.  Though, quite frankly I could care less what anyone on this thread thinks about my game or chances to make it, but one way or another I will make it eventually.  If you want to come out here and play with me, I'd be glad to show you my game.

I also just bought the vokie sm5 wedges and a new fatty putter grip, in case someone cares.

I like this forum for the information and experiences people share. I thought I'd share my experience in a tough competition.  Obviously, I should've kept it to myself.

So tell us what course you usually play to put it in perspective. Never mind I'll look it up myself, the Tumble Creek results were easy enough to find.

Dave :-)

How are those fatty putter grips?

So tell us what course you usually play to put it in perspective.

Shuksan GC.

How are those fatty putter grips?

I like them.  Keeps my hands steadier on the putts under 10ft.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

I could care less what anyone on this thread thinks about my game or chances to make it,

but one way or another I will make it eventually.

I assume you mean "Could n't care less"

What do you mean by "making it'?

What is your goal?

Just out of interest, were there officials at this qualifier looking at clubs in bags?

Serious question, because I'm pretty sure if they did you would have been DQd.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I appreciate you sharing your experience. However, a lot of questions are "unanswered" and I think people simply wanted to know more about your game, experience, score, what happened, what course you usually play, your scoring trend, etc.

I don't think everyone is on the attack here. Of course there will be doubts about your ability and your game, that's just the internet in general and you should expect that. However, some people had legitimate questions that I think would make for more interesting conversation. Are you willing to share any additional information, such as which course you typically play or call your "home" course? Your scoring trend (recent rounds)? Practice routine and what it consists of? etc.

I think the more you elaborate, the better idea people will have about your game and your experience.

Look we really aren't trying to attack you its just that a +2.3 is an insanely low handicap. It is the top amateurs in a city that are just below mini tour guys and can compete in any city championship with all the local club pros and college players. It is a guy who is going out and winning two day events at least 1 to 2 times a year. I can see a 5 capper shooting a 90 in something like this or even a 3 capper that has a bad day. A lot of guys have a 1 handicap and they are still shooting mid 80's or better in these things. I think we all just wanted some more details and you were hesitant to put out the information which raised a red flag in itself.

Also- Posting a swing is whatever to me.. I think too many guys on this site are involved with looking at swings. If Tommy Gainey sent in his swing he would get ripped apart.

Not at all!  We genuinely appreciate the perspective.

Thanks for sharing!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

FWIW the Yelp reviews for his home course are bad, nearly every one mentions a problem with the greens. One describes them as bumpy.

• Administrator

If Tommy Gainey sent in his swing he would get ripped apart.

No he wouldn't. All five keys.

I've worked with some +2 players who have shot 88s or 85s or 91s in sectional qualifying. It can happen. I'm not saying that's what happened here; just that it can.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I appreciate you sharing your experience. However, a lot of questions are "unanswered" and I think people simply wanted to know more about your game, experience, score, what happened, what course you usually play, your scoring trend, etc.

I don't think everyone is on the attack here. Of course there will be doubts about your ability and your game, that's just the internet in general and you should expect that. However, some people had legitimate questions that I think would make for more interesting conversation. Are you willing to share any additional information, such as which course you typically play or call your "home" course? Your scoring trend (recent rounds)? Practice routine and what it consists of? etc.

I think the more you elaborate, the better idea people will have about your game and your experience.

I play Shuksan mostly, and practice at North Bellingham.  I practiced for only 3 months everyday prior to the qualifier.  I hit balls everyday, whether it be one bucket or five.  I also tried to putt quite often there and I had lots of short game practice there. From sand shots to longer pitches.  Nowadays, I'm playing maybe twice a week and hitting the range once.  I just want to keep my swing going smooth.  Recently I played the front nine from the whites at Shuksan and shot -5.  I tend to shoot lower scores when my approaches are on fire.  When they are not, I tend to shoot closer to just over par.  That day was a good day.  Birdied 1 and 2 from 5ft on both holes.  Whites play quite a bit shorter for me as it brings greens within driving distance, so i birdied 2 of the short par 4s, and one of the par 5s.  Recently, I've been trying to throw my hands at the target more as it usually helps my back swing get on the plane I want.  But, like I said, hopefully soon I'll get a new phone and i can post my swing for you all and i'll get into it more then.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Also- Posting a swing is whatever to me.. I think too many guys on this site are involved with looking at swings. If Tommy Gainey sent in his swing he would get ripped apart.

Disagree.  Gainey has the 5 keys.  The guys with the knowledge (not me!!) might be intrigued by his lack of orthodox, if you will ;), but he wouldn't get ripped apart.

Not at all!  We genuinely appreciate the perspective.

Thanks for sharing!

Agreed.

FWIW the Yelp reviews for his home course are bad, nearly every one mentions a problem with the greens.

Then you give that S* @t up and focus on golf(Happy Gi lmore).. but really go to a homecourse with good greens.

I've worked with some +2 players who have shot 88s or 85s or 91s in sectional qualifying. It can happen. I'm not saying that's what happened here; just that it can.

Considering he didn't finish DFL and at least 5 others playing to a 1.4 or better played worse than he did so yeah it can happen. I looked at the results from a few sites, well the CO ones anyway, lot's of guys shot high 80's or worse. The local course that hosted the qualifier here is flat out brutal, @Pretzel will attest to that.

This from two years ago: http://thesandtrap.com/t/146/whatd-you-shoot-today/9468#post_758294

Sorry, you were asking him for scores, so I looked to see if he had mentioned any here.

Not bad for a course of that quality?

Oooops.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Then you give that S*@t up and focus on golf(Happy Gilmore).. but really go to a homecourse with good greens.

It could be a convenience thing. My home course has a serious ball mark problem and the greens are in really poor condition. Granted I won't playing in any qualifiers ever but the price and proximity are what keeps me there so I live with it. His course looks pretty nice.

Sectional Qualifying.. they burn greens out so that there is nothing left they are so fast for those things. They set the rough up another inch or so and they are firm. Local Qualifying is not Sectional Qualifying.. sorry to say. Have two friends who are PGA Members who have hosted sectional qualfiying.. one of them the hardest in the country that year.

So what about Dustin Johnson with how closed at the top he is.. no one would point that out on this site? Hard to believe.

Note: This thread is 2662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!