IGNORED

Officially Made the Switch to Blades.

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can A) say congrats or B) debate how blades will impact your game long term blah blah blah

I will go with A). Congrats ... Glad you enjoyed your purchase and had a great round of golf regardless of the score ... After all isn't that why you tee it up ... To have fun and enjoy golf.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks isukgolf. I absolutely love the game and play it purely for the enjoyment but also to try to constantly improve and get better as well. It's not much fun for me when I'm consistently making horrible shots so that's why I take lessons and practice 5 - 6 times a week. I play for the enjoyment but I enjoy being a decent player.

• Upvote 1

Back to the OP, play what instills confidence in your game. The game is hard enough as it is, why make it harder is my take on it. I went from playing players irons to a GI iron not because I couldn't game them but because I wanted that extra forgiveness with the clubs I make it more enjoyable. At the end of the day I pay to play, not the other way around.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Back to the OP, play what instills confidence in your game. The game is hard enough as it is, why make it harder is my take on it. I went from playing players irons to a GI iron not because I couldn't game them but because I wanted that extra forgiveness with the clubs I make it more enjoyable. At the end of the day I pay to play, not the other way around.

What irons were you playing and what irons did you switch to?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What irons were you playing and what irons did you switch to?

I was playing the TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC's and went with the Ping G25's. I'm still able to shape my shots and have the ridiculous forgiveness I can't complain about. I loved the mc's but after walking 15 holes up and down hills and I can barely focus on my swing it's nice to have that forgiveness to put up with my laziness and lack of focus lol.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Cool I'm gaming G15's currently and Id like to get a set of i's or something a little smaller.

I hear ya. I still have my set of Scratch irons that are ridiculously forgiving but I just wanted to use blades for a while to see if it will actually help me dial in my swing a little more plus I fell that my swing is at the point of where I can game blades. I'm not saying that every shot is going to be pure and perfect but I know that I'll have more good shots than bad. I really enjoy hitting them and the mishits aren't as bad as I thought they'd be.

This is just me and I'm not trying to be self righteous here but I figured why should I be rewarded with a great shot when I know that I didn't put a good swing on it? Shouldn't I be punished with a poor shot? I know that it sounds pretentious and self righteous but this could all just be a phase and I'll end up going back to my Scratch irons. I doubt it but who knows. I'm hitting the MP 68's just as good as the Scratch's but who knows what will happen once the novelty wears off.

I agree with what was said earlier, golf is hard enough to begin with so I'll take all the help I can get. I see a bunch of the young guys that I am acquainted and play with just insist on playing blade irons. They may go through a couple of different iron sets a year because so and so pro is playing these or won this tournament with these. It mostly seems to be an ego thing. Most people don't have a repeatable swing like the pros and would benefit from game improvement irons. That being said, you know your game and if blades are what makes your game best, then be all means play them. I do feel that the "average golfer" trying to play blade irons is giving up 3 to 4 strokes per round. I love my Ping G25s, had them since last summer and they are very forgiving. I do agree that some of the blades are awfully pretty.

10 greens in regulation and a few just off the fringe with the MP33s. Don't know that I could have done any better with my old CBs. It's all in what you get used to.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I can A) say congrats or B) debate how blades will impact your game long term blah blah blah I will go with A). Congrats ... Glad you enjoyed your purchase and had a great round of golf regardless of the score ... After all isn't that why you tee it up ... To have fun and enjoy golf. Thanks for the update!

I agree and put my congrats on the first page. I have tried on a number of occasions to talk people out of switching to blades when they come looking for internet validation of their scheme. However, that isn't what is going on here. The man made the statement that he had bought blades and they are in the bag. I may have personal reservations about how good an idea that is, but the deal is done. At this point the arguing is pointless, I do most sincerely hope the new clubs enhance both score and pleasure in the game.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I do feel that the "average golfer" trying to play blade irons is giving up 3 to 4 strokes per round. I love my Ping G25s, had them since last summer and they are very forgiving. I do agree that some of the blades are awfully pretty.

It was more than that for me, more like 3-4 shots a side. I went from hardly ever veering from low-mid 80's golf to struggling to keep it under 100. Bad shots flat out had nothing on them. A mishit 5i would travel maybe half as far as usual and then I'd be so frazzled from the pressure to bounce back from a bad shot like that it put a lot of pressure on me. My scores spiked enough that the experiment only lasted a few weeks. I use what is considered a players iron now and those are still more forgiving than the ancient 845s I was playing most of last year. The game improvement clubs of the past were still pretty rough though I managed to play down below 10 using them.

Dave :-)

It was more than that for me, more like 3-4 shots a side. I went from hardly ever veering from low-mid 80's golf to struggling to keep it under 100. Bad shots flat out had nothing on them. A mishit 5i would travel maybe half as far as usual and then I'd be so frazzled from the pressure to bounce back from a bad shot like that it put a lot of pressure on me. My scores spiked enough that the experiment only lasted a few weeks. I use what is considered a players iron now and those are still more forgiving than the ancient 845s I was playing most of last year. The game improvement clubs of the past were still pretty rough though I managed to play down below 10 using them.

Blades are definitely NOT for everyone but like I've said before, I hit them just as good or even better than my previous GI and players irons. I enjoy them thoroughly and they make golf more enjoyable for me as well. It's all a matter of preference and so far I've played 2 rounds and am going to play my 3rd round today with them and I'm averaging a lower score by 2 shots. I know that there will be poor rounds in the future but that's attributed to my swing, not the clubs.

Blades are definitely NOT for everyone but like I've said before, I hit them just as good or even better than my previous GI and players irons. I enjoy them thoroughly and they make golf more enjoyable for me as well. It's all a matter of preference and so far I've played 2 rounds and am going to play my 3rd round today with them and I'm averaging a lower score by 2 shots. I know that there will be poor rounds in the future but that's attributed to my swing, not the clubs.

I agree with you Paiste, glad you're enjoying your irons. I think most of the time when we look down and have confidence in what we see it helps.

@Paiste ,

Are you going to write a review for the Equipment section?  This helps other TST forum members.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

@Paiste ,

Are you going to write a review for the Equipment section?  This helps other TST forum members.

Please do. If your equipment isn't listed, either add it or let me know and I can add it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@Paiste ,

Sure. I wasn't aware that I was able to do so but if it would help other members on decision making when purchasing clubs then I will. Is there a guideline that needs to be followed when writing a review?

Here are a couple of examples of reviews.

If you add pictures, it is better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

tiger used some nike blade irons...

And? He's still using them. What's your point?

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!