IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Erik Compton is our only hope to catch The Nemesis.

w Why is Compton wearing Patrick Reed's traditional Sunday colors?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nobody has, because they talked about nobody winning the Player's and the US Open in the same year. The Players usually ends on Mother's Day if I remember correctly. If not, I am completely wrong and apologize for the misinformation.

The Players wasn't always on Mother's Day. It's only been that way since 2007. So it depends on who won whatever tourney was going on that week and whether they won the Open that same year.

The Players wasn't always on Mother's Day. It's only been that way since 2007. So it depends on who won whatever tourney was going on that week and whether they won the Open that same year.

2007-Mickelson's never won the Open 2008-Sergios never won a major 2009-Stenson Ditto 2010-Tim Clark as well 2011 KJ Choi no dice 2012 Kuchar nope 2013 Tiger ;( That would be Players and Us Open

Riley

A blip from Kaymer as he fails to make birdie. But for the most part, he has been imperious, an object lesson in how to win from the front. Play smart, don't try to be heroic, just keep knocking them in and crank up the pressure on the chasers.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

2007-Mickelson's never won the Open 2008-Sergios never won a major 2009-Stenson Ditto 2010-Tim Clark as well 2011 KJ Choi no dice 2012 Kuchar nope 2013 Tiger ;( That would be Players and Us Open

Yeah, but before 2007 the Colonial or Byron Nelson or Kemper Open was probably on Mother's Day, so not sure if the player that won that week ever won the US Open later that year. As for Compton, it'd be a great story and all....guy exemplifies courage....but him chasing down Martin Kaymer is like no-name Stephen Leaney in 2003 trying to catch Jim Furyk and then Leaney never being heard from again. I'm afraid to see what the Nielsen ratings are going to be like for this weekend's US Open, especially with this probably being the best start to a World Cup in history with all the action.

That was a pretty impressive 3-iron from 272 out at sea level to put it pin high just to the right. If this US Open is meant to showcase the "Brown is the New Green" idea for the USGA, I feel like it may not be working. My grandparents, both of which are casual golfers, have both commented multiple times on how bad the course looks. I know it's water conservation and I personally think it looks fine (a nice blend into the native areas), but I wonder what he weekend golfer is thinking when they see a very expensive course with brown grass during the US Open.

[i]Sigh[/i] Erik Compton with a Maltese Falcon. :-(

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Yeah, but before 2007 the Colonial or Byron Nelson or Kemper Open was probably on Mother's Day, so not sure if the player that won that week ever won the US Open later that year. As for Compton, it'd be a great story and all....guy exemplifies courage....but him chasing down Martin Kaymer is like no-name Stephen Leaney in 2003 trying to catch Jim Furyk and then Leaney never being heard from again. I'm afraid to see what the Nielsen ratings are going to be like for this weekend's US Open, especially with this probably being the best start to a World Cup in history with all the action.

True. Sure it's not too hard to track someone who has done that...too much work

Riley

That was a pretty impressive 3-iron from 272 out at sea level to put it pin high just to the right.

If this US Open is meant to showcase the "Brown is the New Green" idea for the USGA, I feel like it may not be working. My grandparents, both of which are casual golfers, have both commented multiple times on how bad the course looks. I know it's water conservation and I personally think it looks fine (a nice blend into the native areas), but I wonder what he weekend golfer is thinking when they see a very expensive course with brown grass during the US Open.

The casual golf fan that turns this on is doing 2 things:

1) Saying this course looks like a piece of crap

2) Turning the channel because this tournament is not very exciting.

And I hate saying this because I am a huge golf enthusiast and I think Kaymer winning is a great story for a game which needs its young stars to step up (and he's one of them)....but let's be realistic.....this has not been a great U.S. Open for a viewer. Just kinda sums up the season so far in a nutshell. But who knows...maybe the back 9 has some surprises up its sleeve. I'll have it on PIP while the Argentina game's on. I'm sure Angel Cabrera is at a bar somewhere watching it.

The casual golf fan that turns this on is doing 2 things: 1) Saying this course looks like a piece of crap 2) Turning the channel because this tournament is not very exciting. And I hate saying this because I am a huge golf enthusiast and I think Kaymer winning is a great story for a game which needs its young stars to step up (and he's one of them)....but let's be realistic.....this has not been a great U.S. Open for a viewer. Just kinda sums up the season so far in a nutshell. But who knows...maybe the back 9 has some surprises up its sleeve. I'll have it on PIP while the Argentina game's on. I'm sure Angel Cabrera is at a bar somewhere watching it.

Lol, I can just picture him and Andres Romero. "Messiiiiiiiii!"

Riley

And he follows the Falcon with a birdie. Nice bounce back.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I missed Fowler's slow motion swing analysis - didn't record it - what were they saying about his not straight lead arm?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Don't know why old man Miller is such a negative/fault-finder, he might wanna chill with that stuff. Let's go Kaymer!!!

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I'm gonna go take a nap. Let me know when Kaymer wins ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Did that look like a double hit by Kaymer. I only saw it once in slow mo

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

That was a pretty impressive 3-iron from 272 out at sea level to put it pin high just to the right. If this US Open is meant to showcase the "Brown is the New Green" idea for the USGA, I feel like it may not be working. My grandparents, both of which are casual golfers, have both commented multiple times on how bad the course looks. I know it's water conservation and I personally think it looks fine (a nice blend into the native areas), but I wonder what he weekend golfer is thinking when they see a very expensive course with brown grass during the US Open.

But it's not just water conservation, is it? It's a move away from the sort of uniform, over-watered, over-manicured courses that have dominated the American tour for too many years. Viewing from a European perspective, this has been the most interesting US Open for years. Mostly the US Open is as dull as hell. Tight courses, penal rough that makes it impossible to go for the green, target golf. This course makes a variety of demands on the players, they are forced to improvise, it's closer to what the game is supposed to be about. Congratulations to the USGA, is my opinion. Let's dump the idea that what you have to do to be a great golfer is fire a towering 8-iron straight at the pin.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!