IGNORED

Persimmon vs Metal

TheGolfer
Note: This thread is 4221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Persimmon or Metal

• I perfer Persimmon
    • I prefer metal

Who here has used persimmon, and do you like it more than metal or not?

In the bag:

Driver: F-Speed 12*
3 Wood: r7 draw
5 Wood: F-SpeedHybrid: a3 boxerIrons: Ignite 4-PWWedges: 53 Phil Rogers, vokey 56, 588 60Putter: Victoria or Puku belly

Clearly metal. Although it's a departure away from the tradition of golf for the past 790 years, the past 10 or so years has seen good solid increases in driving distance with modern clubs. It must be a macho thing - just about everyone wants to hit long ball, which was a near impossibility with persimmon, but is much more achievable with metal clubs.

Although the old-timey look and feel of them can't be beat... the feeling that you're playing golf as it was meant to be played, tradition? I suppose.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I still have my Karsten PING persimmon driver. before the titanium days, thats what I loved using. I would hit it just as far (carry only, with no roll ) with great control.

HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

I still have my Karsten PING persimmon driver. before the titanium days, thats what I loved using. I would hit it just as far (carry only, with no roll

What's the loft on your old persimmon driver? I'm wondering whether launch monitors have really had that much of a difference...

What's the loft on your old persimmon driver? I'm wondering whether launch monitors have really had that much of a difference...

I believe the lof is 11*

HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

• 3 months later...
Ping used laminated maple wood for their woods ,not persimmon.Their is not much of a difference in performance between the woods, but persimmon has a much more pleasant looking finish. That is why Ping woods were always black until the Ping Zing.

I've got my Titleist and Spaulding Tour Edition persimmons from back in the day and they sure are pretty and make a nice display piece.

I put a fairway wood in the bag every once in a while and everyone ohs and ahs and they want to give it a shot. you can get a real deal on some nice ones. I think you could put one in your bag as a "Hybrid" because a 5 persimmon with a steel shaft is not the same as a 5 titanium.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

I love Heavy Metal!! \m/

Driver: SUMO 5000 8.5* w/ Aldila Proto-65 X 45.5"
3-wood: SQ w/ Diamana 83 X +1"
Hybrid: SuMo 2h w/ Project X +1"
Irons: MP-33 1-PW w/ TT X100 Sensicore +1"
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

I bought a Spaulding Tour 3 wood when I was in college from Play it Again Sports. It lasted me for about 5 years (until I would out of school with a REAL job, and could afford to buy somethig nicer).

I still have it, and it's a really pretty looking club, but I couldn't hit it worth a crap.

In My Bag

Driver: 907 D1 10.5 Regular flex
3 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19Hybrid: Rescue Dual 225-GW: G5Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58Putter: White Hot 2-ballBall: Mojo

I really hated to hit balls with my "wood" woods, because I didn't want to hurt them. They were just so pretty, and they did feel sweet when you hit them right. But, what we forget, is when it rained, you really have to take care of your "wood", that is why I prefer "metal" woods, they are virtually no maintenance. It's kinda the same way with kids, you miss them (cause you forget what a pain they were to take care of), and you love them.

I voted for persimmon. If you've ever hit persimmon and balata, you'd understand. There is nothing like the feeling of putting one on the screws. Back in the day, there were actual screws in the clubfaces of woods. Of course, if you didn't flush it, you'd pay a hefty price. Still have some persimmon in the old staff bag. They'd make great paperweights now. Both Tiger and Phil have said that persimmon will go as far as metal, it's the mishits and lack of forgiveness that are the difference.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

Persimmon:
Nice looking, almost artistic when shiny and newly finished.
No better feeling than when you hit one "on the screws" (a rarity for a golfer like me)...no better sound in golf than persimmon, either. If you have never hit a persimmon driver just right, you are missing out on one of the major pleasures of golf, in my opinion.
No worse feeling than not hitting it 'on the screws'...you were guaranteed a 70 yard worm burning drive that sliced like you wouldn't believe. And this happened A LOT for most of us.

Metal:
Big an ugly, period. At least the finish on the top of the head is shiny.
Very forgiving, even mishits travel far and much straighter than mishit persimmon ever did. Makes golf a pleasure to play from the tee, at least in comparison; less frustration, anger and tears.

Persimmon was great when you hit it right, but I would never go back, metal is much more forgiving and a joy from a playing standpoint.

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

I also prefer today's Golfball over the feathery and Today's graphite over the hickory shaft. Just to save you the next two surveys in this theme.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

• 2 weeks later...

i use the modern day 460 driver but i love my persimmon ping eye2 3 wood made before i was even born

Driver R7 460 ti
3 Wood Eye 2
Hybrids 2 and 3 torch hybrids
Irons 4-pw Sliver scot
Wedges deep red 54 degree cg11 60 degree
Putter getting a new one either odyssey or rossa
Ball

In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

• 9 months later...
haha bringing back a dead thread here, but anyone have a wooden putter?

I really want a new putter and the louisville golf site has some nice lookin stuff you can have customized, i think it would be awesome to have one of those but are wooden putters like that actually good?

r7 draw driver 9.5* stiff shaft
Big bertha 06 irons, 4-sw
56*vokey spin milled 10*bounce
Victoria ;)
tp black balls cart bagJack nicklaus Golden Bear 52* and 60* wedgesWalter hagen: 3 wood 5 wood 4 hybrid stiff shaft"I don't say my golf game is bad, but if I grew tomatoes they'd come up sliced."www...

I used to have an old set of Ram persimmon woods: a driver, 3-wood and 4-wood. I hit those clubs way better than I do the metalwoods that I have now. I think it has to do mostly with the fact that my Rams had steel shafts. For some reason Ive never really been able to hit graphite-shafted clubs all that well.
While Im sure that metalwoods do perform better, I still like persimmon better.
For me, its all about tradition. Woods should be wood. Im all for hitting the ball farther and straighter, but there is also something to be said for tradition.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 4221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!