IGNORED

Anchored Pros Switching - How Are They Doing?

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 3338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Webb Simpson quit, cold turkey.

http://www.pgatour.com/the-upshot/2015/01/15/sony-open-in-hawaii-round-one.html

Quote:

“Today was a big day for me,” Simpson said. “It was one of my best putting rounds I've ever had to be honest.”

Simpson switched to the shorter putter this fall in Japan, but didn’t enjoy much success. He finished T55 at the Dunlop Phoenix. After the morning wave at Waialae, he shared the lead with Paul Casey after the lowest round of his career.

“I think the biggest thing --I don't know if you hear Keegan (Bradley) or whoever else, Adam (Scott), talk about it, the pressure comes when there's expectation,” Simpson said. “There's more focus on you, which you know, two ways to deal with it. One, it can negatively affect you, or two, you can realize that, hey, that's just how it is and you've got to play through it.”

Simpson had more secret weapons than his new 34-inch Odyssey White Hot putter. He also had a half-day lesson with Butch Harmon under his belt.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

Quote:

“Today was a big day for me,” Simpson said. “It was one of my best putting rounds I've ever had to be honest.”

Simpson switched to the shorter putter this fall in Japan, but didn’t enjoy much success. He finished T55 at the Dunlop Phoenix. After the morning wave at Waialae, he shared the lead with Paul Casey after the lowest round of his career.

“I think the biggest thing --I don't know if you hear Keegan (Bradley) or whoever else, Adam (Scott), talk about it, the pressure comes when there's expectation,” Simpson said. “There's more focus on you, which you know, two ways to deal with it. One, it can negatively affect you, or two, you can realize that, hey, that's just how it is and you've got to play through it.”

Simpson had more secret weapons than his new 34-inch Odyssey White Hot putter. He also had a half-day lesson with Butch Harmon under his belt.

Frankly, I've tried anchored putters and putting at golf stores and I hated the feel.  To me, putting feels very natural in my set up and stance, which is basically the Utley setup.  Anchoring feels unnatural.  These Pros have tremendous hand eye coordination.  It should be easy for them to switch if they can gain confidence.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Frankly, I've tried anchored putters and putting at golf stores and I hated the feel.  To me, putting feels very natural in my set up and stance, which is basically the Utley setup.  Anchoring feels unnatural.  These Pros have tremendous hand eye coordination.  It should be easy for them to switch if they can gain confidence.

I used a belly putter for about 18 months.  What I found was that my putting improved from 5 feet in...but absolutely tanked from 20 feet out.  I ended up pretty much just swapping out bad putts.  My putts-per-round didn't change at all.

Best round of his PGA career, tie for best round on that course.

Ridiculously impressive.

These guys really are in another stratosphere.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

• 1 month later...

Adam Scott going with the claw.

https://instagram.com/p/z2y4WJELJu/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm pretty sure I heard Chamblee say that every player who has switched back from a long putter to a conventional one has worse putting stats than they had before switching. While that did surprise me I think we need to look at those stats at the completion of this years play to get a clear picture.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I'm pretty sure I heard Chamblee say that every player who has switched back from a long putter to a conventional one has worse putting stats than they had before switching. While that did surprise me I think we need to look at those stats at the completion of this years play to get a clear picture.

cubdog

There cannot be a large enough sample size yet for him to make a statistically significant conclusion.  Keegan Bradley, Web Simpson and now Adam Scott have switched.  I recall that Bradley is putting quite well and he has been doing it the longest.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!