IGNORED

Anyone else been playing forever without a hole in one?

Todd Ruggere
Note: This thread is 3592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="RH31" url="/t/75233/anyone-else-been-playing-forever-without-a-hole-in-one#post_1006086"]   Yep. Never had one. I hit the front of the hole and the pin 2 weeks ago and settled for a 2 foot birdie. Guy I was playing with holed out on a 190 yard par 3 earlier in that same round. I do have a double eagle, but a hole in one sure would be nice. [/QUOTE] What's a double eagle?

I'm thinking an albetros maybe? 2 on a par five? I'll let him confirm what he means though cause I'm curious too!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm thinking an albetros maybe? 2 on a par five? I'll let him confirm what he means though cause I'm curious too!

Yeah, that's what I thought - I have just never heard it called a double eagle before.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Yeah, that's what I thought - I have just never heard it called a double eagle before.

[quote name="ev780" url="/t/75233/anyone-else-been-playing-forever-without-a-hole-in-one/30#post_1007555"]Serious addiction since 95 or so.  And nope. Interesting how many better players (judging by posted index) there are.  But I guess that is not unexpected.  Most better players can hit the shot they want and there is not a lot of extraneous movement after the ball hits the green.  Greatly improves you odds if the ball rolls some after landing.  And most better players are aiming somewhere other than the pin on most par threes.  Working off a slope, avoiding trouble, not attacking pins that should not be attacked,  etc etc. [/quote] I've heard it both ways, but more commonly actually as a double eagle here in Colorado in the tournaments I've played in. I almost got one in a tournament when I had a 6-iron that cut the corner above some trees on a par 5 roll just past to 3 feet (it was really lucky). The disappointing part was someone who was watching my shot said "It's in the hole!" prematurely and ran over to give me a high five. We then walked around the corner and saw it wasn't really a double eagle.

They are double eagles around here. Albatross is too sophisticated and too hard to spell. :-D

I figure I have about 400 rounds under my belt to date.     That equates to about 1600 par 3's.     So far, I'm 0 for 1600.    Can count the number of tap in's I've had on one hand ... but when you think about it, a 150 yd par 3 is 450 ft, so hitting a golf ball a football field and a half and having it land in a coffee cup should be a ridiculously rare feat - surprised anybody does it when you actually think of the distances involved...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I figure I have about 400 rounds under my belt to date.     That equates to about 1600 par 3's.     So far, I'm 0 for 1600.    Can count the number of tap in's I've had on one hand ... but when you think about it, a 150 yd par 3 is 450 ft, so hitting a golf ball a football field and a half and having it land in a coffee cup should be a very rare feat - surprised anybody does it when you actually think of it ...

I have a flag and cup down in the backyard and keep 100 golf balls to hit at the flag, usually from 100 to 125 yards. I don't really have any idea how many times I've hit those hundred balls at that flag but it's at least a few times a week for a couple of years.

In all of those shots I've only had one go in the hole and that's hitting the same shot over and over again, which gives me much better odds than doing it during a round.

Granted I am certainly not a good ball striker but I usually at least get the majority of those shots in a 30' circle, so that's a whole lot of chances to go in the hole.

I did hole out from over 200 yards on a par 4 the first time I ever played golf though. Guess I used up all of my luck right off the bat. :-D

A friend of mine has been golfing more than 40 years, never had one. Just a couple of years ago his wife started golfing.

To make a long story short, she has one. Just shows that there is no justice when it comes to holes in one.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I figure I have about 400 rounds under my belt to date.     That equates to about 1600 par 3's.     So far, I'm 0 for 1600.

Actuaries have calculated the chance of an average golfer making a hole in one at approximately 12,500 to 1. You have only 10,900 par three's to go, (app. 2,725 rounds).

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

What's a double eagle?

Yes, that was a 2 on a par 5. Sometimes called an Albatross, but most people I know don't use that term.

I was playing in the GAP matches(club vs. club) years ago, and a guy from the visiting team mishit his tee shot and it rolled all the way down the hill and straight into the hole for an ace.

Poor guy didn't even want to claim it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

What's a double eagle?

Yes, that was a 2 on a par 5. Sometimes called an Albatross, but most people I know don't use that term.

I was playing in the GAP matches(club vs. club) years ago, and a guy from the visiting team mishit his tee shot and it rolled all the way down the hill and straight into the hole for an ace.

Poor guy didn't even want to claim it.

my bro did something like that - bladed a tee shot & it rolled about a hundred yards on the ground and plopped in.     Granted good players are going to be closer to the hole a higher percentage of the time so they should have better odds, but I think the odds are so slim, it's mostly dumb luck to have one actually fall in

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!