Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lhagsjr

Help my Golf Game

6 posts in this topic

I am 35. I played a lot when I was younger(16-20) but never really practiced or took it serious. I then didnt play golf for almost 15 years. I decided last fall to start up again and Im taking it serious this time. I immediately went to a Pro. Since September I have taken 7 lessons. Im willing to put in the time but my practice sessions suck.

My problem is for some reason, when I go the my teacher I step up and hit the ball solid almost every time. He only makes small adjustments  and then Im great for the rest of the hour.

The issue is, as soon as I leave there and go to the range a few days later or a course, my swing falls apart. I can drive the ball off the team with good consistency but my iron play goes to complete shit unless in the presence of the instructor.

My question is what is the next step. Im an extremely frustrated and thinking about giving it up for good this time...

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

First off, welcome to The Sand Trap. If you look around, there are tons of info on how to improve your swing,how to practice, ect.

Also you might consider making a video of your swing, and post in the member swing forum  here  http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Without seeing a person's swing, it's kinda hard to say what needs to be done. As far as hitting well while in the presence of your instructor, could be a number of things, as to why you can't hit em well on the ranger or the course.

Anyhow, good luck, and enjoy your stay.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My guess is when you are at your instructor, you might be focused more on your swing than when you are out on the course. Plus you are hitting shots in more of a faster, repetitive manner than when out on the course. Shots on the course can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 15+/- minutes between each other. Practice shots might only be a minute or so between each one.  A question I might have is, do you have a

pre-shot routine that you use between each shot?  If not, I would suggest you develop one for yourself. It helps to focus on the next shot at hand. Even better, it helps the golfer forget any poor shots hit previously.

Giving up the game is not the answer. Giving up at anything is a lot like suicide. It's not a very good option. Besides you already know you are capable of hitting some good shots.  Part of the fascination of the game of golf is the golfer's journey to be the best player he, or she can be. Very few people are born with the "gift" to play great golf from the start. Unfortunately frustration  is normal part of a golfer's journey. All golfers suffer some frustration with their game from time to time. You can file it under the mental aspects of the game. Keep playing, and have fun with the game..

I found this happened to me once, had a lesson and within minutes I was hitting the ball further and straighter than ever, it was great! Thought I had finally sussed it, went back the next day to ingrain my new found ability! And couldn't hit a barn door! It is frustrating! But that's golf, moments of elation and joy followed by feelings of anger madness! We seem to end up accepting the game for what it does to us, the anger and madness turn to wry frustration which we laugh about later, just remember to laugh! Because if you don't, you'll cry! I only go to the range in the winter now! I seem to hit balls better on the course than the range! I don't even try and make sense of it!

Could it be that you are hitting off a mat with instructor? Not good feedback. Jm

The issue is, as soon as I leave there and go to the range a few days later or a course, my swing falls apart. I can drive the ball off the team with good consistency but my iron play goes to complete shit unless in the presence of the instructor.

My question is what is the next step. Im an extremely frustrated and thinking about giving it up for good this time...

Seems like you need to start practicing more like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • I know this is "under review" so to speak, but I would echo this. I went back Jeremie's swing thread; his receptivity to direction and subsequent swing changes has demonstrated his dedication, and his obedience has born out marked improvement. Nice job, Jeremie!
    • Errrr.... Typo: Els and not Else... Sorry about that :)
      Is there a way to edit a topic started post?
    • I readily admit that I'm a baby when it comes to humidity. Thankfully I live in a place where I don't usually have to worry about it.
    • Lessons, depending on your arrangement with your home course, can be a much better way to make money than if you just work in the shop.  In the shop I would imagine you're not making much more than $15 an hour, even as a professional, assuming that you aren't salaried to run the golf operation for a city. Even if you charged a relatively cheap rate of $50 an hour for lessons, and the course took half of your inexpensive fee, you would be making $10 more an hour than you would otherwise and it might be more enjoyable that pro shop work for you. Playing lessons could be even more lucrative depending on your rates, and you can even play some golf yourself (either playing with the player or demonstrating a shot, for example).  Youth programs can be highly profitable if that's something you're interested in. A local course with two PGA professionals has a weekly group lesson for junior golfers at $20 per person. On the days that this program is running they easily have 30-40 kids ($600-800) out there working on chipping and putting (and then the kids go out to walk nine holes afterwords). Depending on how your course operates and how busy it is this is something you could look into organizing. Put up flyers both on the course and in public areas where you are allowed to post things to get the word out. If you are somewhat tech and business inclined it might be a good idea to look into starting up a small business of your own selling golf apparel and equipment. Take advantage of your PGA membership and start up accounts with the major brands such as Titleist, PING, Taylormade, Scotty Cameron (they kind of do their stuff separate from Titleist) and put up a storefront on your own website. Squarespace is one web-hosting company I know of that does an excellent job of making it easy for you to put together what you want. Nearly everything in most golf shops is marked up at keystone pricing or higher, so there is definitely profit to be made if you can get some web traffic (and it never hurts to have it up for people to stumble upon).  Look up public courses in your area and figure out who the person in charge of contracting out the golf courses is. The title in my city is the "Golf Operations Manager", but this varies from city to city. Get to know this person and learn when the management contracts for various courses expire so you can put your bid in to run one of the courses on behalf of the city. This is where you'd likely end up making the most money, but it would be the most administrative of the options. You would likely be responsible for hiring, firing, reports, and other day to day tasks but the big advantage is that the city, in most cases, will allow you to use the pro shop to sell your own merchandise. This becomes huge since then the profits (or at least a large portion of them) from every pro shop sale goes into your pocket, though it does come with the added work of managing inventory and negotiating terms with the city. This is, though, by far the most lucrative option that would be somewhat easily (with enough background work and a good proposal/interview) attainable. One other thing, along the lines of the previous point, that you could do is see if there are any professionals that are contracted to run two golf courses through the city. My city currently works this way, but the professional has to subcontract the second course to another PGA professional in order to manage everything smoothly. As a result of this the professional at the course I work for (the subcontracted professional) is now a near shoe-in to win the bid to manage the golf course he's been running when the city contract becomes available this January, just because he has been running the show there for the last four years. Continuing to excel at your current position at the golf course while networking and getting to know your customers (a large factor for the aforementioned pro is that he has developed close ties with the clientele and has increased revenue as a result) is something that will be viewed favorably if you later put in a bid to manage the course.
    • It took me two years to get from a 24 handicap (my starting point) to about a 6-8 handicap when I started playing seriously. It then took me another two years to get from about a 7 to a 2. In the last year I had a big jump that got me from the 2 handicap to my current +1.5, which I would consider to be the largest leap I've ever made (which is somewhat funny, considering I've probably practiced the least in the last year as compared to previous years). It just kind of clicked for me that it's okay to expect to make birdies, whereas before I felt like I never could make any.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. JLeeWildcat9
      JLeeWildcat9
      (30 years old)
    2. Ping Man
      Ping Man
      (52 years old)
  • Blog Entries