IGNORED

New Myrtle Beach Trip Thread - FIRST TIMER LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Note: This thread is 3463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well quirk in the work schedule has given me monday-thursday of next week off so I'm hoping in the car monday morning and headed to myrtle for a few days myself.  any advice for a single golfer making a last minute trip?

I played Meadowlands a couple years ago - super nice layout - really enjoyed the course.     It's a drive though - probably 30 minutes north of MB.     I'm sure it's not the same as the high end expensive MB courses, but for mid priced courses, it's the best I've played there ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which Grand Dunes?  The club or the resort course?  I know it says club but I've seen the resort course spelled that way.

Either way, I'd play King's North.  Both are fantastic tracks, though.

Look into getting a Myrtle Beach Golf Passport.  Check out these rates:

http://www.myrtlebeachgolfpassport.com/specials/

"Witty golf quote."

Which Grand Dunes?  The club or the resort course?  I know it says club but I've seen the resort course spelled that way.

Either way, I'd play King's North.  Both are fantastic tracks, though.

Look into getting a Myrtle Beach Golf Passport.  Check out these rates:

http://www.myrtlebeachgolfpassport.com/specials/

It'd be the resort course. I actually did change over to MBN.  Looking at some pics, GD seems like a relatively plain course.  I'm sure the maintenance is great and there's a few interesting holes, but it seemed pretty link-sy (flat and open).  While MBN also seemed flat, I got the impression there are a greater number of "interesting" holes like 6 and 12, among others.  If I'm wrong, please let me know.

With the exception of me, our group isn't impressed by course design that focuses on strategy (i.e. links style).  Aesthetics are more important.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

My dad and I played at river oaks plantation and heron point in MB July 4th weekend. Heron point was really wet and not that great but river oaks was fantastic and difficult.

My dad and I played at river oaks plantation and heron point in MB July 4th weekend. Heron point was really wet and not that great but river oaks was fantastic and difficult.

agree - River Oaks is the best of the "budget" courses I played last time in MB

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

It'd be the resort course. I actually did change over to MBN.  Looking at some pics, GD seems like a relatively plain course.  I'm sure the maintenance is great and there's a few interesting holes, but it seemed pretty link-sy (flat and open).  While MBN also seemed flat, I got the impression there are a greater number of "interesting" holes like 6 and 12, among others.  If I'm wrong, please let me know.

With the exception of me, our group isn't impressed by course design that focuses on strategy (i.e. links style).  Aesthetics are more important.

King's North is flatter than Grand Dunes.  It's Myrtle, though.  Most of the courses are pretty flat.  Grand Dunes has some great scenic holes along the intercoastal waterway.

The 6th at Kings North is fun.  "The Gambler," island fairway on a par 5.  I recommend going for the island, only because if you go around it becomes extremely long and you still have water in play on all three shots.  If you aren't comfortable with going for the green in two from the island, you can at least have a lay up to an area that pretty much excludes the water on the third shot and offers a short wedge approach.  I've played this course about eight times and birdied this hole three times.  So I obviously love it.

And the 12th is a neat short par 3.

"Witty golf quote."

Also, skip Pine Lakes.  This used to be a favorite.  First course in the area, and Sports Illustrated was founded there.  It had small turtle back greens, a couple of very reachable Par 5s, and felt more like a northern design in the south.  This guy would make manhattan clam chowder (everyone called him the big dog) on what was then the 7th tee.  If it was too warm, he gave mimosas out on what was then the 3rd tee.  These were free, but you tipped of course.

Then they decided to make the course a more premium type, and ruined it.  They ran into zoning problems and only constructed three new holes.  Bland, boring holes.  They did take out two of the weaker holes, and improved the old No. 10, but screwed up many others "modernizing" them.  Both of those previously reachable Par 5s are now just long and difficult Par 4s.  Boo!  They even wanted to tear down that classic clubhouse but were stopped for one reason or another.  Thank God.

But the changes were for the worse.  And now they charge a lot more.  Idiots.

Also, big dog is no longer employed there.

"Witty golf quote."

I personally think the gambler is a bit gimmicky.  That being said king's north is still my choice over grand dunes.  Overall a more fun course. If you are looking for something less links style. Check out pine lakes "the grandaddy". Great course to start a MB trip with.

I personally think the gambler is a bit gimmicky.  That being said king's north is still my choice over grand dunes.  Overall a more fun course. If you are looking for something less links style. Check out pine lakes "the grandaddy". Great course to start a MB trip with.

Looks like I was posting about Pine Lakes the same time you were.

I don't find anything "gimmicky" about The Gambler at all.  It's a nice risk reward hole.  It's not as though if you hit the island it becomes too easy.  But it requires a solid--not great--but solid drive with a lot of visual intimidation.

"Witty golf quote."

I appreciate the input guys.

I get the impression that GD is the type of course that has 3-5 memorable holes, but the rest of the course is forgettable.  KN, while flat, seems to have more distinctive holes.  Also, this will be the first course we play, and I was thinking about doing a 2 man scramble (only four of us) to ease into our trip.  I noticed there are a few holes (like #3 and #6) that could be fun to play in this format if the first player puts a safe shot out there so the other can go for the hero shot.

Also, aside from the usual games (Nassau, Wolf, etc.), any thoughts/suggestions on 4 man games to play (gambling or otherwise)?

I appreciate the input guys.

I get the impression that GD is the type of course that has 3-5 memorable holes, but the rest of the course is forgettable.  KN, while flat, seems to have more distinctive holes.  Also, this will be the first course we play, and I was thinking about doing a 2 man scramble (only four of us) to ease into our trip.  I noticed there are a few holes (like #3 and #6) that could be fun to play in this format if the first player puts a safe shot out there so the other can go for the hero shot.

Also, aside from the usual games (Nassau, Wolf, etc.), any thoughts/suggestions on 4 man games to play (gambling or otherwise)?

Rather than the standard nassau, we often like to play three six hole matches with rotating partners so everybody gets a chance to play together.  Also, because the matches are short, they very often go to the sixth hole.  At King's North, the 6th hole is The Gambler, and the 12th is that distinctive short Par 3.

"Witty golf quote."

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been to MB in 15 years, but one thing I would say is don't do what we did:  ten rounds in six days at a different course for each round.  My back has never been so sore!  Hot tub and lots of Advil. :-)

I have not been to MB in 15 years, but one thing I would say is don't do what we did:  ten rounds in six days at a different course for each round.  My back has never been so sore!  Hot tub and lots of Advil.

Wow! I would consider myself a golf fanatic, but that's A LOT of golf in a 6 day stretch! Not that I'd turn it down....

I have not been to MB in 15 years, but one thing I would say is don't do what we did:  ten rounds in six days at a different course for each round.  My back has never been so sore!  Hot tub and lots of Advil.

Playing 9 rounds of golf in 6 days in Myrtle next week.  I'm sure the back will be sore by weeks end.  The key for me is to not do 36 holes more than 2 days in row.

Playing:

True Blue

Heritage

Legends - Moorland

Legends - Heathland

Barefoot - Fazio

Glen Dornoch

Caledonia

Prestwick

Grande Dunes

Note: This thread is 3463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!