Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardballs

What's your Top end combo???

42 posts in this topic

So, I've ditched my fairway woods! They're in the garage, I know most people ditch their long irons for hybrids, but just wondering if anyone else has ditched their WOODS for hybrids? I'll get them re shafted one day and try again, but for now it's all about the hybrid! Also, we know most peoples wedge combo, but what about your top end?? my top end now looks like:- Driver- 12* geek DCT 1h(15.5*) cleveland classic 3h(20.5*) cleveland classic 5i at 23* Rbladez And I'm happy with this..... For now!

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

So, I've ditched my fairway woods! They're in the garage, I know most people ditch their long irons for hybrids, but just wondering if anyone else has ditched their WOODS for hybrids? I'll get them re shafted one day and try again, but for now it's all about the hybrid!

I thought about ditching my woods (5w and 3w) and buying a couple long irons (a 3i and 1i) recently as I'm hitting my irons really well. But I slapped myself back into place because of two reasons...

1. If my swing is where it should be, it shouldn't matter what club I'm hitting...just need more practice.
2. I need to stop spending money on things I think will help my game, and start putting money towards things that will DEFINITELY help my game. Like driving range passes/course membership.

I don't hit my woods very well either...but I've now taking it as a challenge. They are in great condition so there's no reason to be getting new clubs just because I suck.

(Disclaimer: I've never played a hybrid so I can't comment on that)

I don't hit my woods very well either...but I've now taking it as a challenge. They are in great condition so there's no reason to be getting new clubs just because I suck.   (Disclaimer: I've never played a hybrid so I can't comment on that)

Well I was in you shoes earlier this year, and I picked up a cheap hybrid because a friend of mine hits his so well! I didn't think I would like one, but after 1 round with it, there was no denying it's capability! It's now my fave club for long second shots and my scores have dropped instantly! I don't know if my swing just suits them or I got lucky with this particular model, but it's awesome for me! And so now I'm hoping the matching 1h will become something of a 4wood! You never know till ya try, but I agree about constantly spending money on equipment, it's not always the answer, but in this case it was! What's your top end look like??

At the moment I'm carrying a 10.5* driver, a 18* 5-wood, and a 20* 3-hybrid. I also have a 15* 3-wood, but I hit the 5 almost as far and I generally leave the 3 behind in favour of an extra wedge. Personally I regard the hybrid as a replacement for my 3-iron, though having it has also meant I leave the 7-wood behind.

I've always hit my irons well and I hit the ball fairly long so I go with a driver, 3 hybrid, then standard irons 3, 4, 5, etc. I've been struggling with the hybrid though so I only use it on rare occasion, usually opting for my 3 iron instead.

Driver, 3 wood, and 3 iron are the only clubs I use off of the tee. I will occasionally swap out the 3 wood for a 5 wood for shorter courses. With my length I should probably get a hybrid to hit off the tee but my driver is my best club and I can't help but overuse it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tried 3-woods, can't hit em. Bought a 4 wood, showed promise, now can't hit it either. Now it's driver, 3 hybrid on par 5's. I score much better this way.

Also use 3 hybrid off tee box instead of 3 or 4 wood.

Just got a few new clubs with a bday gift certificate to global golf and still contemplating Nike Covert Driver which I'm still toying with settings. Will try 11.5 tomorrow Cobra baffler T Rail 16 degree and 18 degree FWs Cobra baffler T rail plus 19 degree hybrid One of those needs to go. Most likely the 5W if I can get good at hitting the 3W off the turf

My top end looks like this: 10.5* Titleist 910D2 15.5* Cleveland 588 3W 19* TM RBZ2 Rescue

My top end is:

Driver : Titleist 913 D2

5 wood: Titleist 913

9 wood : Callaway Razr X Black

I carry no hybrids and every time I try to sneak one in, it ruins the day

I own many 3 woods but am smart enough to not put them in the bag, because if they were there, I would use them.

Top end is:

Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 driver

Callaway Razr X black 3W

Adams Idea Tech V3 2 hybrid

I'm inconsistent with the driver and only use it when there is a wide open fairway--otherwise i go with the 3W which i am confident with.  The 2 hybrid has become one of my favorite clubs in the bag and it is my go-to club for a lot of situations on the course

Currently, my top end is

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* driver

Callaway Diablo Octane 15*  3W

Callaway Razr X 3 hybrid (21*)

Right now, I have:

8.5˚ adjustable driver set to 9.5˚ at 45"

15˚ titanium hybrid at 42"

19˚ titanium hybrid at 41"

21˚ 3 iron at 39"

I also have a 13.5˚ 3 wood and a 17˚ hybrid and 18˚ 2 iron that don't currently have a spot. The 17˚ hybrid is fine but the 19˚ has a bit higher and stronger trajectory at about the same average distance. The 19 and 15 are really more 5 and 3 wood than hybrids, since I like around 20 yard gaps at the top of the set and matched hybrids provide more of a 10-15 yard gap in many cases. I rarely hit the 15˚ off the deck however, and I tend to hit the 4 iron about 5 yards shorter carry than the 3 off the deck most of the time. I'd probably be a bit happier with something between the 2 and 3 irons gap wise, but it works well enough off the tee that I can hit the needed shots. More concerning is the other end of the bag at the moment, I feel I have the right lofts for the most part but I struggle with certain full shot distances.

Tried 3-woods, can't hit em. Bought a 4 wood, showed promise, now can't hit it either. Now it's driver, 3 hybrid on par 5's. I score much better this way. Also use 3 hybrid off tee box instead of 3 or 4 wood.

...and your not tempted by a 1 or 2 hybrid?

10.5 xhot 15 xhot 3w 17 tm rescue 21 tm rescue

10.5 xhot 15 xhot 3w 17 tm rescue 21 tm rescue

This looks a nicely spaced top end combo! Could you tell me your average distances for these!

I have a 9.5 titelist driver, 15* adams 3 wood, 19* Taylormade Raylor 3H and 22* Taylormade Raylor 4H. The Raylors are, without a doubt, the easiest clubs to hit I have ever owned. I wish they made them in 14* or 15* so I could ditch my 3 wood!!!  The 3H replaced my 5W and the 4H replaced my 4i.

...and your not tempted by a 1 or 2 hybrid?

Not yet. May try one out later.