Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)


phillyk
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

I tried not to place blame too much on it in my previous posts, but it’s absolutely dogshit. Im embarrassed and pissed at how f***ing bad my putting is.
 

I’ll give you a rundown today. Started on hole 10, had a 10ft for birdie and missed. Not too upset at that. 11 was tough, just pulled a shot and lost it. Double bogey, wasn’t putting but knew I could easily recover with how many chances I’ve given myself all week. 12, 10ft birdie missed. Starting to get upset. 13, 8ft par putt missed; tee shot was a bit off so I’ll blame that but ultimately it should’ve been an easy make. 14, 30ft for birdie, 3 putt because I missed a 5ft par putt. 15, was upset but somehow made a sliding 12ft birdie. 16, barely short of green, elected to putt and ball took off.  Had 6ft coming back and missed that too. 17, 5ft for birdie missed. 18, par with a good up and down. 1, put my 2nd on a par 5 to 2ft, luckily that’s inside 4ft and I can make those, eagle which should hold up for a skin. 2, 15ft birdie missed. 3, 5ft birdie missed. 4…….. 4 putt from 20ft, the other putts were all around 5ft, I don’t freaking know. 5, made a good up and down (all up and downs were because putts were inside 4ft). No idea why my chipping was reasonable today, but I’ll take it. 6, 12ft birdie missed. 7, 15ft birdie missed. 8, 15ft birdie once again f***ing missed. 9, a good up and down because I chipped to 2ft.

Story of all 3 days. Had two 4 putts, too many 3 putts and a huge amount of birdie putts missed inside 15ft. My approaches were on fire. Driver I figured out eventually but too late. Shot 75 today. Won’t finish in money but I won 2 skins to get a little. I’m pissed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
12 hours ago, phillyk said:

I tried not to place blame too much on it in my previous posts, but it’s absolutely dogshit. Im embarrassed and pissed at how f***ing bad my putting is.
 

I’ll give you a rundown today. Started on hole 10, had a 10ft for birdie and missed. Not too upset at that. 11 was tough, just pulled a shot and lost it. Double bogey, wasn’t putting but knew I could easily recover with how many chances I’ve given myself all week. 12, 10ft birdie missed. Starting to get upset. 13, 8ft par putt missed; tee shot was a bit off so I’ll blame that but ultimately it should’ve been an easy make. 14, 30ft for birdie, 3 putt because I missed a 5ft par putt. 15, was upset but somehow made a sliding 12ft birdie. 16, barely short of green, elected to putt and ball took off.  Had 6ft coming back and missed that too. 17, 5ft for birdie missed. 18, par with a good up and down. 1, put my 2nd on a par 5 to 2ft, luckily that’s inside 4ft and I can make those, eagle which should hold up for a skin. 2, 15ft birdie missed. 3, 5ft birdie missed. 4…….. 4 putt from 20ft, the other putts were all around 5ft, I don’t freaking know. 5, made a good up and down (all up and downs were because putts were inside 4ft). No idea why my chipping was reasonable today, but I’ll take it. 6, 12ft birdie missed. 7, 15ft birdie missed. 8, 15ft birdie once again f***ing missed. 9, a good up and down because I chipped to 2ft.

Story of all 3 days. Had two 4 putts, too many 3 putts and a huge amount of birdie putts missed inside 15ft. My approaches were on fire. Driver I figured out eventually but too late. Shot 75 today. Won’t finish in money but I won 2 skins to get a little. I’m pissed.  

We’re they misreads or green speed issues? Was the course set up with difficult pin locations on slopes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

We’re they misreads or green speed issues? Was the course set up with difficult pin locations on slopes?

It’s my stroke, always is. This winter I’m re-working it. Maybe a couple greens tricked me on the read because they were the oddly flat but not sort. Pins were fun. Some right on edges of cliffs but they were fun. 

I mean in the 3 days, I made 10 birdies and 2 eagles. I must’ve had 6 missed birdies from 5ft-8ft and many others inside 15ft. Even my 70 had a bunch of missed putts. The course is very scoreable, I hit ball well from tee to green (generally) and I just couldn’t get the ball to it’s home. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator


Had to get working again. Video isn’t the best spot. Main point of work is to get rid of the lean into the ball, because it causes imbalance and other issues. Not sure why I thought of it this way, but my feel was to simply jump/post my left leg around impact. To go with this, I am continuing the work of flattening my take away. Going to try and work hard this winter (although I have kid #2 due in a month so who knows).

Putting, I started by changing my grip to get away from the last stroke. I grabbed a meter long level to use as guide for creating more arc in the putt. I definitely was pushing out as I brought the club back. So, arc both ways and fine tuning the aim. I’ve always noticed that when I use the line of the ball, that I feel it’s aimed way left. Thus, could be a source of the push that has been happening occasionally. So trust the line and arc it. Definitely need to practice but initial results are positive. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I’m working on things. Full swing, I’m definitely getting some more rotational power and better contact on my longer irons and 3w. Miss is a hook, but with the right sequence of thoughts, I’ll get past it. Short game, I’m getting better contact and higher launch for softer landings. Putting, still a work in progress but basically I have to feel a release of the head a bit from my right hand. I’m working on it’s alignment. 

Bad news, both my regular driver and back-up driver are broken, sort of. The shaft is twisting in the tip on both of them. I was annoyed today when I found that out at the store. Repair guy comes in Wednesday. I have the tools to repair them but not the experience, so I’ll let the better guy handle it. In the meantime, I’m using my 3w and 2iron to tee off. It’s really not a problem where I typically play, it’s just annoying to not have my usual options. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, phillyk said:

The shaft is twisting in the tip on both of them.

Just curious, how did you notice this?

 

10 hours ago, phillyk said:

Repair guy comes in Wednesday. I have the tools to repair them but not the experience, so I’ll let the better guy handle it. In the meantime, I’m using my 3w and 2iron to tee off. It’s really not a problem where I typically play, it’s just annoying to not have my usual options. 

How often do you get to play?  I'm always curious someone in the golf industry, what does your average week look like as far as practice and play?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
51 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Just curious, how did you notice this?

There is a separation between ferrule and tip of about half a centimeter where either ferrule is moving or shaft is not secured to tip. Things there were clearly moving around the last week or so.  If you try to twist shaft and it spins, then tip is not connected. 

1 hour ago, Wanzo said:

How often do you get to play?  I'm always curious someone in the golf industry, what does your average week look like as far as practice and play?

Each pro is going to be somewhat different. Do they have a family? Do they work operations, management, or teach? Private course or public course or range? Expected work hours? Etc. Then add in whether or not they’d want to play. Given some free time, would you want to be around the course still?

Myself, the season of teaching comes and goes with the golfing season. As we come into winter, I’ll be pushing my mevo+ as a way to practice/play. But, winter is where I can play quite a bit more. I’m still somewhat new to teaching in this area, so I don’t have quite the base that other instructors around here might. But even many of them are playing around a bit more too. We’ll schedule games sometimes.
 

Summer, A typical day, I can do maybe 20 swings or 2 holes if there’s a group on the course that I want to say hi to.  Hard to swap mindset from teaching to developing my own game in a short time period. Many times, breaks in the day is when I will catch up on emails, phone calls, or take a food break. I definitely play a lot more 9 hole rounds than 18 in summer. Even then, the 9 holes are scattered on the course because I’m typically joining a group that teed off earlier. Many of my full rounds came in tournament/pro am play.

What has been important to me, is control of my schedule and control of booking students. It probably costs me a bit of business, because of the lack of customer control. But, I’m also not looking to overload myself. I want to be healthy, mentally, for every student. I don’t ever want to feel like I’m getting burned out. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

It's pretty common for ferrules to occasionally lose their grip and work their way up the shaft a bit.

And of course if you grip the ferrule, the shaft will twist relative to the ferrule.

But I skimmed, so… maybe I missed something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
12 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's pretty common for ferrules to occasionally lose their grip and work their way up the shaft a bit.

And of course if you grip the ferrule, the shaft will twist relative to the ferrule.

But I skimmed, so… maybe I missed something.

I brought them into the store and the opinion of the shop guys were that they twisted. Made a definitive sound too. The long time repair guy comes in tomorrow. So, we’ll see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I brought them into the store and the opinion of the shop guys were that they twisted. Made a definitive sound too. The long time repair guy comes in tomorrow. So, we’ll see. 

In theory ferrules are non-functional, cosmetic only.  Josh will either bring this up with you or charge you $100 for the fix.  😁  Are you perhaps talking about the the adjustable ring on your drivers?  Below the ferrule, closer to the head?  That could be more serious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
21 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I brought them into the store and the opinion of the shop guys were that they twisted. Made a definitive sound too. The long time repair guy comes in tomorrow. So, we’ll see. 

There is an easy way to tell. Grab the head and the grip and try to twist the head. If it’s tight, it won’t move. If it’s loose, it will creak. I’ve had heads come loose before and ferrules that slip too. If it’s just the ferrule, they can lightly warm it and slide it back with a little glue in the gap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

There is an easy way to tell. Grab the head and the grip and try to twist the head. If it’s tight, it won’t move. If it’s loose, it will creak. I’ve had heads come loose before and ferrules that slip too. If it’s just the ferrule, they can lightly warm it and slide it back with a little glue in the gap.

I just went online to look at a picture of the Srixon ZX7 driver.  It doesn't have a ferrule!  At least no ferrule north of the adjustable ring.  So, in support of @phillyk, there is something more serious going on.  Keep us posted.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...