IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)

phillyk

I tried not to place blame too much on it in my previous posts, but it’s absolutely dogshit. Im embarrassed and pissed at how f***ing bad my putting is.

I’ll give you a rundown today. Started on hole 10, had a 10ft for birdie and missed. Not too upset at that. 11 was tough, just pulled a shot and lost it. Double bogey, wasn’t putting but knew I could easily recover with how many chances I’ve given myself all week. 12, 10ft birdie missed. Starting to get upset. 13, 8ft par putt missed; tee shot was a bit off so I’ll blame that but ultimately it should’ve been an easy make. 14, 30ft for birdie, 3 putt because I missed a 5ft par putt. 15, was upset but somehow made a sliding 12ft birdie. 16, barely short of green, elected to putt and ball took off.  Had 6ft coming back and missed that too. 17, 5ft for birdie missed. 18, par with a good up and down. 1, put my 2nd on a par 5 to 2ft, luckily that’s inside 4ft and I can make those, eagle which should hold up for a skin. 2, 15ft birdie missed. 3, 5ft birdie missed. 4…….. 4 putt from 20ft, the other putts were all around 5ft, I don’t freaking know. 5, made a good up and down (all up and downs were because putts were inside 4ft). No idea why my chipping was reasonable today, but I’ll take it. 6, 12ft birdie missed. 7, 15ft birdie missed. 8, 15ft birdie once again f***ing missed. 9, a good up and down because I chipped to 2ft.

Story of all 3 days. Had two 4 putts, too many 3 putts and a huge amount of birdie putts missed inside 15ft. My approaches were on fire. Driver I figured out eventually but too late. Shot 75 today. Won’t finish in money but I won 2 skins to get a little. I’m pissed.  

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, phillyk said:

I tried not to place blame too much on it in my previous posts, but it’s absolutely dogshit. Im embarrassed and pissed at how f***ing bad my putting is.

I’ll give you a rundown today. Started on hole 10, had a 10ft for birdie and missed. Not too upset at that. 11 was tough, just pulled a shot and lost it. Double bogey, wasn’t putting but knew I could easily recover with how many chances I’ve given myself all week. 12, 10ft birdie missed. Starting to get upset. 13, 8ft par putt missed; tee shot was a bit off so I’ll blame that but ultimately it should’ve been an easy make. 14, 30ft for birdie, 3 putt because I missed a 5ft par putt. 15, was upset but somehow made a sliding 12ft birdie. 16, barely short of green, elected to putt and ball took off.  Had 6ft coming back and missed that too. 17, 5ft for birdie missed. 18, par with a good up and down. 1, put my 2nd on a par 5 to 2ft, luckily that’s inside 4ft and I can make those, eagle which should hold up for a skin. 2, 15ft birdie missed. 3, 5ft birdie missed. 4…….. 4 putt from 20ft, the other putts were all around 5ft, I don’t freaking know. 5, made a good up and down (all up and downs were because putts were inside 4ft). No idea why my chipping was reasonable today, but I’ll take it. 6, 12ft birdie missed. 7, 15ft birdie missed. 8, 15ft birdie once again f***ing missed. 9, a good up and down because I chipped to 2ft.

Story of all 3 days. Had two 4 putts, too many 3 putts and a huge amount of birdie putts missed inside 15ft. My approaches were on fire. Driver I figured out eventually but too late. Shot 75 today. Won’t finish in money but I won 2 skins to get a little. I’m pissed.  

We’re they misreads or green speed issues? Was the course set up with difficult pin locations on slopes?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

We’re they misreads or green speed issues? Was the course set up with difficult pin locations on slopes?

It’s my stroke, always is. This winter I’m re-working it. Maybe a couple greens tricked me on the read because they were the oddly flat but not sort. Pins were fun. Some right on edges of cliffs but they were fun. 

I mean in the 3 days, I made 10 birdies and 2 eagles. I must’ve had 6 missed birdies from 5ft-8ft and many others inside 15ft. Even my 70 had a bunch of missed putts. The course is very scoreable, I hit ball well from tee to green (generally) and I just couldn’t get the ball to it’s home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Had to get working again. Video isn’t the best spot. Main point of work is to get rid of the lean into the ball, because it causes imbalance and other issues. Not sure why I thought of it this way, but my feel was to simply jump/post my left leg around impact. To go with this, I am continuing the work of flattening my take away. Going to try and work hard this winter (although I have kid #2 due in a month so who knows).

Putting, I started by changing my grip to get away from the last stroke. I grabbed a meter long level to use as guide for creating more arc in the putt. I definitely was pushing out as I brought the club back. So, arc both ways and fine tuning the aim. I’ve always noticed that when I use the line of the ball, that I feel it’s aimed way left. Thus, could be a source of the push that has been happening occasionally. So trust the line and arc it. Definitely need to practice but initial results are positive. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

I’m working on things. Full swing, I’m definitely getting some more rotational power and better contact on my longer irons and 3w. Miss is a hook, but with the right sequence of thoughts, I’ll get past it. Short game, I’m getting better contact and higher launch for softer landings. Putting, still a work in progress but basically I have to feel a release of the head a bit from my right hand. I’m working on it’s alignment. 

Bad news, both my regular driver and back-up driver are broken, sort of. The shaft is twisting in the tip on both of them. I was annoyed today when I found that out at the store. Repair guy comes in Wednesday. I have the tools to repair them but not the experience, so I’ll let the better guy handle it. In the meantime, I’m using my 3w and 2iron to tee off. It’s really not a problem where I typically play, it’s just annoying to not have my usual options. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

10 hours ago, phillyk said:

The shaft is twisting in the tip on both of them.

Just curious, how did you notice this?

10 hours ago, phillyk said:

Repair guy comes in Wednesday. I have the tools to repair them but not the experience, so I’ll let the better guy handle it. In the meantime, I’m using my 3w and 2iron to tee off. It’s really not a problem where I typically play, it’s just annoying to not have my usual options. 

How often do you get to play?  I'm always curious someone in the golf industry, what does your average week look like as far as practice and play?

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

51 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Just curious, how did you notice this?

There is a separation between ferrule and tip of about half a centimeter where either ferrule is moving or shaft is not secured to tip. Things there were clearly moving around the last week or so.  If you try to twist shaft and it spins, then tip is not connected. 

1 hour ago, Wanzo said:

How often do you get to play?  I'm always curious someone in the golf industry, what does your average week look like as far as practice and play?

Each pro is going to be somewhat different. Do they have a family? Do they work operations, management, or teach? Private course or public course or range? Expected work hours? Etc. Then add in whether or not they’d want to play. Given some free time, would you want to be around the course still?

Myself, the season of teaching comes and goes with the golfing season. As we come into winter, I’ll be pushing my mevo+ as a way to practice/play. But, winter is where I can play quite a bit more. I’m still somewhat new to teaching in this area, so I don’t have quite the base that other instructors around here might. But even many of them are playing around a bit more too. We’ll schedule games sometimes.

Summer, A typical day, I can do maybe 20 swings or 2 holes if there’s a group on the course that I want to say hi to.  Hard to swap mindset from teaching to developing my own game in a short time period. Many times, breaks in the day is when I will catch up on emails, phone calls, or take a food break. I definitely play a lot more 9 hole rounds than 18 in summer. Even then, the 9 holes are scattered on the course because I’m typically joining a group that teed off earlier. Many of my full rounds came in tournament/pro am play.

What has been important to me, is control of my schedule and control of booking students. It probably costs me a bit of business, because of the lack of customer control. But, I’m also not looking to overload myself. I want to be healthy, mentally, for every student. I don’t ever want to feel like I’m getting burned out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator

It's pretty common for ferrules to occasionally lose their grip and work their way up the shaft a bit.

And of course if you grip the ferrule, the shaft will twist relative to the ferrule.

But I skimmed, so… maybe I missed something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's pretty common for ferrules to occasionally lose their grip and work their way up the shaft a bit.

And of course if you grip the ferrule, the shaft will twist relative to the ferrule.

But I skimmed, so… maybe I missed something.

I brought them into the store and the opinion of the shop guys were that they twisted. Made a definitive sound too. The long time repair guy comes in tomorrow. So, we’ll see. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

5 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I brought them into the store and the opinion of the shop guys were that they twisted. Made a definitive sound too. The long time repair guy comes in tomorrow. So, we’ll see. 

In theory ferrules are non-functional, cosmetic only.  Josh will either bring this up with you or charge you $100 for the fix.  😁  Are you perhaps talking about the the adjustable ring on your drivers?  Below the ferrule, closer to the head?  That could be more serious.

21 minutes ago, phillyk said:

There is an easy way to tell. Grab the head and the grip and try to twist the head. If it’s tight, it won’t move. If it’s loose, it will creak. I’ve had heads come loose before and ferrules that slip too. If it’s just the ferrule, they can lightly warm it and slide it back with a little glue in the gap.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

16 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

There is an easy way to tell. Grab the head and the grip and try to twist the head. If it’s tight, it won’t move. If it’s loose, it will creak. I’ve had heads come loose before and ferrules that slip too. If it’s just the ferrule, they can lightly warm it and slide it back with a little glue in the gap.

I just went online to look at a picture of the Srixon ZX7 driver.  It doesn't have a ferrule!  At least no ferrule north of the adjustable ring.  So, in support of @phillyk, there is something more serious going on.  Keep us posted.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• 1 month later...

Reasonably happy with this swing. Have been out for last month for paternity leave. So, good to be back and swinging. Trying to get a bit more flow, so there’s a bit of a trigger move here. Of course, there’s the never ending battle to get my right elbow in a better spot at A4, didn’t really do it here. Also thinking about a slightly freer release between A5 & 6. Practice felt good.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

24 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Reasonably happy with this swing. Have been out for last month for paternity leave. So, good to be back and swinging. Trying to get a bit more flow, so there’s a bit of a trigger move here. Of course, there’s the never ending battle to get my right elbow in a better spot at A4, didn’t really do it here. Also thinking about a slightly freer release between A5 & 6. Practice felt good.

Phil... the swing looks good.  How much yardage did the heavy rain subtract from your distance?  😁

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Phil... the swing looks good.  How much yardage did the heavy rain subtract from your distance?  😁

I actually gained yardage today according to the mevo+. PW going 150-155, 4iron 215-220, and driver 305-315 (all carry yardages).

Honestly the rain was crazy, from 9am when I got there until 3pm, it stayed constant. Luckily there was a 80 person disc golf tourney today or we would never had any business. I would’ve played if I knew how to walk on water. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

I actually gained yardage today according to the mevo+. PW going 150-155, 4iron 215-220, and driver 305-315 (all carry yardages).

Honestly the rain was crazy, from 9am when I got there until 3pm, it stayed constant. Luckily there was a 80 person disc golf tourney today or we would never had any business. I would’ve played if I knew how to walk on water. 

I was almost walking on water yesterday.  Have you been on the course since they put up the disc baskets?  Just more stuff to hit if you are offline and in the woods.  I keep a frisbee in my trunk if you ever want to play.

58 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I've logged 1.77 inches of rain on our home weather station today and it's still raining and supposed to continue through tomorrow. I played Grandview on Friday and it was pretty wet but I bet it's going to be unplayable for a while now. Time to move to Raspberry, I guess.

And, if you ever lose your swing I'd sure like to find it.

• 3 weeks later...

Long post.  There are a few things I’ve needed to address, and I think I have the right feels to make the changes.  This video was taken in the beginning of the day.  By the end of the day, I feel that my A4 position in regards to hip line/right knee was much better but I do not have video yet. I’ll try and give an update tomorrow.  Swing thoughts/feels that are different are: feel a slight right side bend at address making sure chest line is still on target, keep right elbow closer to body on backswing (that’s the best way I can describe it), and just turn on the backswing as in don’t try to add extra flow to the trail side.  Originally, I was duck hooking because I moved to trail side too much and got a bit stuck.  Swing thoughts or feels that are from before: skinnier stance, before the side bend, align everything (chest, hands, clubhead, etc) with the target and set back into heels a bit (this is helping me keep from collapsing the lower body as I start the downswing).  Everything is backswing or set up related.  The extra thoughts make the swing feel more constricted and faster on the backswing.  The downswing feels much more unwindy.  Got some big drives when I played after practice. Basically, getting summer carry in winter.  Putting was biggest problem, but I feel ok with the stroke I’m doing. I just have to get more comfortable with it, as it feels super awkward.

Next is a side by side comparison with swings I had taken earlier this off season.  Left pictures are old swings, right pictures are newer swings.

C0D99860-E4EE-44D4-843C-535B6F14B293.png

Here in set up, you can see more of my face, almost like I’m pulling away before I do.

7F1BBE78-0459-4F7A-8A88-D09AAC0EF725.png

A2 - My right elbow has pulled across my body a bit more and chest has rotated a bit more. The pelvis is also rotating up more. So, using more body to turn versus arms.
EDEFFC51-5137-4DFE-8C5B-760D28ED41AD.png

A3 - Can still see more pelvis rotation.  Hands are deeper.

DAC19ECE-9FD9-4FDC-9C6D-A8432D215834.png

A4 - The right elbow looks so much better.  Not all the way there yet, but it’s better. It’ll be easier to see from FO, but I’m not re-centering the way I want. I want to straighten the right leg a little more here.

5685F1B7-1E53-420E-A578-E0AC0EF50D92.png

A5 - Upper body has rotated a bit faster getting ready to slow down and transfer energy to clubhead.

CFFCACD0-2DAF-4EB7-8316-32E0D9B0B4AB.png

Impact - Hips are more rotated, left leg is straighter, and hands are a bit higher.

Now to FO

6A795844-6606-4E15-9CC1-391C64B7BD3E.png

Sorry about the right picture, the video transitioned too fast from DTL. Definitely can see more weight to my right.  Stance is skinnier. Upper body is leaning slightly away from target.

2923FFCE-FD24-4E7D-8781-5811A70AF501.png

A2 - right elbow, you can see how it’s more behind me pointing, left arm is staying wide.

2A71E5FC-DB33-4C19-8F58-2E18A3C829EB.png

A3 - Hands are wide, right elbow slightly lower, chest slightly more rotated

A11EAF9C-C82D-4F9A-935C-DE7D5441D203.png

A4 - right hip is still center but I feel like it could be loaded better. The right knee has too much flex and is hanging outside that line.  Otherwise, I’m pleased about spine angle and staying parallel with shaft.

518ABB57-8C95-4A56-82C7-3F129F577F35.png

A5 - You can see chest has rotated more.

9999D051-FABF-4EE7-B2CC-2158220B3479.png

A6 - By this point, the clubhead should be getting thrown as my body slows down.  The right picture looks like the body isn’t trying to turn through as much.

F692B2B6-909F-4E30-8D12-FBA4AB266D95.png

A7 - Hands are further out, angle of shoulder line to hands is bigger which is good. I could extend that left leg a little more.

Overall, I like the differences here. Swing feels like less things can go wrong, providing smaller misses.  I’ll keep on it.

Edit - One highlight I forgot about is my right foot in the follow through.  I’m not breaking my ankle and the foot is not moving nearly as much towards the target.  So I’m staying much more balanced.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA