IGNORED

hitting driver left

Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I feel like I'm so close to getting over that hump with my driver. When I have played well recently it's because of how I'm driving the ball. I average 260 off the tee. 90 percent of the time I hit a draw with my irons too. When the ball doesn't hook my drives can be really good. This is the frustrating part of my game. I think I could easily be a scratch golfer if it weren't for my driver. I still believe that most of my problems come from my set up. My grip seems to be pretty good. HELP!

Any practice you do for swing changes should be done at slower speeds initially. Get the change down, muscle memory, then pick up the speed.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• 2 months later...

Interesting read, I'm going through the same exact thing. Driver has caused my to have fits on par 5's. I have recently switched to 3 wood for almost all Par 4's cause I'm loosing faith in my driver. Used to be one of my favorite clubs in the bag. Back when it was having no problem hitting driver it was the only club that would go with a slight fade. Everything else from 3 wood to wedge was a draw. I didn't mind it. It was actually not a bad thing cause i would use driver if i needed a fade and 3 wood if i needed a draw from the tee box. My 3 wood goes 260 ish if i lean into it.

Now my driver flight is straight to draw. I have been gradually using a stronger left hand, turning it where i can see more knuckles. The grip gives me a more confident strike but about 25% of the time its a nasty hook. Similar to what you describe.

I have tried turning my left hand back to a weaker grip but now the club feels loose on the back swing. Tried shifting my rear, right leg, back a bit for a closed stance and that helped too but not comfortable with aiming. I've tried swinging something similar to Moe Norman's stance and swing, keeping my arms out and in line with the club and it helps but not really into using such a different swing for one club. On and on, you covered a bunch of the same things i have been going through and trying.

The one thing i can recall about my swing when i was really hitting it well was the reverse C finish. A few people commented on it when i hit the ball. I was hitting it about the longest i ever did and very accurate. I mentally fired from my hips and the finish felt like my feet and head were in line vertically but my hips were forward creating the reverse C. I don't recall my grip, but don't think it was anything outside of the norm.

Tomorrow i am going to see if i can get up with a swing instructor i have been working with a bit. Has helped me with a few issues with my irons and wedges which works every time i stray from and go back to. So i need to see what he has to say about driver.

Will offer an update if i get any king of revelation.

Regards.

I find I hit the ball a little straighter when I tee it a little lower. When I tee the ball high for that big driver, the over swing can creep in, the arms could fly etc When I tee it lower, I tend to control my swing better. I'm heading out today I think for a round.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Well i met with an instructor Saturday morning. Made a correction with my stance. Said my left shoulder was up too high and tense. So i flattened out my shoulders and seemed to get a nice draw and plenty of distance.

today i went out to play a round. Pretty easy course with wide fairways. What a disaster. I am not hooking my 3 Wood along with my driver.

No solution. I suck.

I have a new Pink K15 3 wood and 5 wood. I only have 2 rounds with them but I have yet to hit a bad one. And the 3 wood is long. I start them just right of target and wail on them. Got a tourney next week. We'll see how they hold up.

So March 1 1934, if that's your birthdate and you can still hit the 3W 250, 'good on ya, mate'.   And did you intend to write, 'now hooking 3W and driver', instead of 'not hooking'?

Driver's my worst club for sure. Ball sitting up on a pedestal causes havoc to my mind.  I'll be taking the 3W next outing, leave D in the shed.  See how it goes.

Yep, i do hit my G25 3 Wood 250 without an issue. If i lay into it it can go a bit further. And yes unfortunately whatever i am doing with driver is starting to cary over to my 3 Wood. I normally play from the Blue tee's and leaving driver out of the bag would make some holes a bit more difficult. The other day I was trying a G30 3 Wood as was getting up to 109mph  265+. Prior to this duck hook thing....

probably something i have to spend some time and work out. This thread was hitting on a lot of the same issues I have been recently struggling with. Will keep an eye on it in case someone comes up with their own personal fix.

I feel like I'm so close to getting over that hump with my driver. When I have played well recently it's because of how I'm driving the ball. I average 260 off the tee. 90 percent of the time I hit a draw with my irons too. When the ball doesn't hook my drives can be really good. This is the frustrating part of my game. I think I could easily be a scratch golfer if it weren't for my driver. I still believe that most of my problems come from my set up. My grip seems to be pretty good. HELP!

Just read through a fair amount of this thread quickly... do me a favor. Go to the range as soon as you can and lay an alignment rod on the ground to be CERTAIN you know where you are aiming your body "lines"... then put an alignment stick down into the ground (standing up) about 15 feet in front of you and just a touch to the right of where you are aligned. Hit some drivers from this alignment starting the shots to the right of the alignment stick.

I would like to hear a report back which informs us how many of the drives that started RIGHT of the stick hooked too much. Start there and that will help everyone trying to help you. Be anal about your alignment and the alignment of the stick as I explained above. You have to do this right.

Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, in my forties. No wonder your questioning my distance. I have no idea where your finding this info, i looked around and the only thing i can find is my join date. Not in my 80's.

I figured out my pull issue. My grip. Strong left hand (i can see most of my knuckles) with a right handed swing. I keep varying away from it and gradually loose control of my swing until i remember to strengthen it and everything comes back. I find my left hand effects the quality of the strike and my right hand grip effects the shape of the shot. Strong right grip the ball goes straight to a slight fade with an open stance. Weaken my right hand and it starts to draw.

give it a try...

Just read through a fair amount of this thread quickly... do me a favor. Go to the range as soon as you can and lay an alignment rod on the ground to be CERTAIN you know where you are aiming your body "lines"... then put an alignment stick down into the ground (standing up) about 15 feet in front of you and just a touch to the right of where you are aligned. Hit some drivers from this alignment starting the shots to the right of the alignment stick.

I would like to hear a report back which informs us how many of the drives that started RIGHT of the stick hooked too much. Start there and that will help everyone trying to help you. Be anal about your alignment and the alignment of the stick as I explained above. You have to do this right.

Dave

Paging @hookmaster , just want to make sure you saw this.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Okay this is my 1st post on the TST...... I can understand the anguish of seeing your ball drifting left on the hook curve......This difted into my game two years ago and have just solved it this year......Yes I did have a flat swing but not one that was to exaggerate....so what's the fix.........Posture! I got more slumped over with the driver and so my hands had no where to go and the clubhead just pasted the hands causing the hook.....if any of you suffer this type of shot go to your pro and get a posture lesson.....it will also help your other shots and putting.

I feel like I'm so close to getting over that hump with my driver. When I have played well recently it's because of how I'm driving the ball. I still believe that most of my problems come from my set up.

@mvmac wrote a great article which you should review.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/77144/how-to-draw-the-golf-ball-or-how-to-stop-slicing

Good luck, hitting consistent drives at your target is a necessity for playing your best golf.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I generally hook with my driver as well. My swing speed hovers around 105 and I wish I could get higher , but its more a manner of stretching and making sure my spine angles are correct for me to gain any distance and max my swing speed.

I think one of the problem is if there a tight fairway then sometimes I tighten up and actually hook more. I tend  use my driver when there is a wider landing area at least 40 yards, gives me the freedom to" hit up rather than around the ball",

Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!