IGNORED

What is "normal" wear for irons?

Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a question about "normal" wear on irons. The attached picture is of my gap wedge. It's not very clear, but there is a gash in the sole of it. I have no recollection of ever hitting a tree root, rock, or anything else that could have caused this. After I noticed this, I checked out a few other irons. None of them had any damage as bad as my GW, but most had multiple, very small blemishes in them. The best way I can describe it is if I polished the soles of my clubs, they'd be shiny, but there'd still be imperfections on them. These clubs are Maltby TE Forged irons that I bought earlier this year. They have roughly 30 rounds on them with a dozen or so range sessions to boot. I just inspected my Callaway RAZRX's that I used for 4 years, and didn't notice any of this sort of wear. Is this type of wear "normal" for a forged iron? It seems these things will look awfully, awfully beat up if i use them for the next 5 years...

Looks like you caught a rock. Nothing but cosmetic and won't affect playability at all. Forged clubs tend to be made with a little softer steel, so you'll see a little more nicks, dings, and club chatter, especially on the sole. Here are my irons.... 5 years old and well over 500 rounds. Again, some dings and club chatter, but nothing at all that will affect playability.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Keep in mind that a forged iron club head is much softer than a cast club, and therefore dings much easier. as for your wedge, you may have hit something solid in a bunker, or in the rough. The blemish on the sole will not affect the play ability at all.

My forged irons have lots of little scratches and minor dings on them.

Looks like you caught a rock. Nothing but cosmetic and won't affect playability at all.

Forged clubs tend to be made with a little softer steel, so you'll see a little more nicks, dings, and club chatter, especially on the sole.

Here are my irons....

5 years old and well over 500 rounds. Again, some dings and club chatter, but nothing at all that will affect playability.

Dang David, your CB695's look way better than mine do.... :-P

I'm a short hitting wimp. You probably hit em a lot harder than I do! ;-) Great irons though, aren't they? :beer:

In David's bag....

I'm a short hitting wimp. You probably hit em a lot harder than I do!

Great irons though, aren't they?

I seriously doubt I hit longer than you. Remember, I'm a old man with a bad back...lol

:Love mine, but the shafts aren't right for my swing TT S300's. at this point, I'm leaning toward GI irons... :-(

Thanks for setting my mind at ease, guys. These are the first set of forged clubs I've owned (I love them!) and heard that they are more susceptible to this sort of stuff. I could care less how they look as long as what I'm seeing is typical.

It's typical to see bag chatter on a set of irons. You can check out what the pro's irons look like here or just use the search function and type in "Inside the Ropes" and a few threads will pop up.

Rory's old irons

DA Points i5's

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

David in FL, why do you have 58* wedge, a 56* wedge and what looks like another 56* wedge? :) Just curious.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

David in FL, why do you have 58* wedge, a 56* wedge and what looks like another 56* wedge? :) Just curious.

Because I can do anything with a 58* that I can with a 60*. I just recently put my first 60* in the bag, but am seriously thinking about going back to the 58* because it's much easier to hit consistently. I'm a firm believer that most amateurs would be a LOT better off without a 60* wedge in their bag.....

In David's bag....

I'm a firm believer that most amateurs would be a LOT better off without a 60* wedge in their bag.....

I very rarely ever use a 60 and almost all of the time I feel like I can make more consistent shots with my 56 (even with soft little flops). I think today was an exception to that as the greens were much harder (as in firm) than I have ever seen them. In fact when I changed the holes this morning for the first time ever I couldn't eject the plug on quite a few holes and had to dig half of the plug out with my pocketknife (until I got smart enough to dig the hole in two sections). Time after time I thought I had hit the perfect shot and time after time I couldn't stop the ball and was left with a 10 or 12 foot putt. Each time I thought it was just something abnormal and I would be able to execute it the next time. Finally after messing up an easy chance on the 17th hole it occurred to me that I had been making a huge mistake all day not taking the higher risk of the 60 and higher flop shots. The question that will remain unanswered is how many times I might have gotten up and down with the 60 today? With the benefit of hindsight I would certainly give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Because I can do anything with a 58* that I can with a 60*.
I just recently put my first 60* in the bag, but am seriously thinking about going back to the 58* because it's much easier to hit consistently.
I'm a firm believer that most amateurs would be a LOT better off without a 60* wedge in their bag.....

I very rarely ever use a 60 and almost all of the time I feel like I can make more consistent shots with my 56 (even with soft little flops). I think today was an exception to that as the greens were much harder (as in firm) than I have ever seen them. In fact when I changed the holes this morning for the first time ever I couldn't eject the plug on quite a few holes and had to dig half of the plug out with my pocketknife (until I got smart enough to dig the hole in two sections). Time after time I thought I had hit the perfect shot and time after time I couldn't stop the ball and was left with a 10 or 12 foot putt. Each time I thought it was just something abnormal and I would be able to execute it the next time. Finally after messing up an easy chance on the 17th hole it occurred to me that I had been making a huge mistake all day not taking the higher risk of the 60 and higher flop shots. The question that will remain unanswered is how many times I might have gotten up and down with the 60 today? With the benefit of hindsight I would certainly give it a shot.

As you said, today's the exception. And you're a 5 hcp.... It amazes me the number of 15 hcps that "swear" by their 60* wedge.

In David's bag....

Yeah I play with people all the time that by all rights should be able to beat me like a drum, but don't because they are too in love with the 60 (when it's not necessary).

I hit my 60* all the time. That's my go to club under 75 yards. Not sure why you think it's harder to hit than a 56*. Just goes a little higher and shorter. I'm actually going to get a 68* for shots I need to get higher and check quicker. BTW, you still didn't say why you have 3 of them. :)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

OT, but re: the 60..I've always have one, and have a low bounce due to the harder dirt/grass around the greens where I play/played.

I hit mine about 75 yds according to the range markers. Anyhow, Ifeel very comfy hitting different shots with it, I practice them all the time. Now if I have a shot in a sand bunker, I'll go my 54-12... :-D

I hit my 60* all the time. That's my go to club under 75 yards. Not sure why you think it's harder to hit than a 56*. Just goes a little higher and shorter. I'm actually going to get a 68* for shots I need to get higher and check quicker. BTW, you still didn't say why you have 3 of them. :)

I don't. That other wedge is a 50* bent to 51*....

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!