IGNORED

Average Joe Qualifies for British Open

billchao
Note: This thread is 3568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's a feel good story.  I'm not going to nitpick.  I just hope the guy gets the time off from his day job.  A British friend once said to me, 'our unions are so strong only because our labor practices are so bad.'  Of course this was back in the last century, when firms in the City were still firing guys over the PA system.

WTF are people on about?

He has a job and probably has a genuine handicap of plus 2 or something. He put together 2 excellent rounds to qualify and people think that some sort of explanation is required.

Being English it would be a genuine handicap because  they don't do the DIY "never played in a competition but I play off 1" BS.

Not every amateur has his own website liked Dan who this guy could beat with one hand tied behind his back.

Why so angry?

The writer chose to write the story and imply this guy is a "average joe" which can be interpreted as an average golfer...he's not. He's an average Joe as his job and the way he pays his bills but if they had mentioned he was a former collage golfer and pro who wasn't able to make a living it wouldn't sell newspapers or get us talking about it...

It's not a big deal..it's just a way of drawing interest..

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

Why so angry?

The writer chose to write the story and imply this guy is a "average joe" which can be interpreted as an average golfer...he's not. He's an average Joe as his job and the way he pays his bills but if they had mentioned he was a former collage golfer and pro who wasn't able to make a living it wouldn't sell newspapers or get us talking about it...

It's not a big deal..it's just a way of drawing interest..

I was addressing my post to members who seemed confused and bewildered  by the story, not the writer. I think it's a great story.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

WTF are people on about?

He has a job and probably has a genuine handicap of plus 2 or something. He put together 2 excellent rounds to qualify and people think that some sort of explanation is required.

Being English it would be a genuine handicap because  they don't do the DIY "never played in a competition but I play off 1" BS.

Not every amateur has his own website liked Dan who this guy could beat with one hand tied behind his back.

I don't think Dan even deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Mr. Singleton.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Saw the segment on this guy last night, and I laughed at the word average. The author was technically right; he's an average Joe in terms of his livelihood, but any implication that he's average or avid golfer is far from true. Dude was an old golf coach, and an aspiring golf pro who got injured.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

People are thinking "average joe" and "average golfer" are synonymous. They are not, average joe implies that he works a regular job to pay the bills and doesn't play on some small tour or make a living off of golf. Just because he happens to be pretty darn good a golf doesn't change his average living status.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find some of the comments in this thread to be odd. I see a lot of over analyzing and attempts to pick the story apart and break down too much. The guy is an average Joe as he does not make his living playing golf. Does he maybe bet on himself at local courses to supplement income? Who the hell knows. He's an average Joe by most people's standards as he's a blue collar factory worker who gets dirty for a living and obviously plays as much golf as possible on the side.

There's nothing to critique or over-analyze here guys. He's a hell of a golfer with a full-time factory job and has a once in a lifetime opportunity to play in The Open. Good for him! :beer:

Great story, and I hope he does well, but it's not unusual. Every year, the US Open and Bitish (yeah, I know.....) have qualifiers that work ordinary, full-time gigs while they play serious amateur golf or are trying to break into full-time professional golf. I like following the amateurs and mini-tour guys.....always fun to see an underdog do well!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I find some of the comments in this thread to be odd. I see a lot of over analyzing and attempts to pick the story apart and break down too much. The guy is an average Joe as he does not make his living playing golf. Does he maybe bet on himself at local courses to supplement income? Who the hell knows. He's an average Joe by most people's standards as he's a blue collar factory worker who gets dirty for a living and obviously plays as much golf as possible on the side.

There's nothing to critique or over-analyze here guys. He's a hell of a golfer with a full-time factory job and has a once in a lifetime opportunity to play in The Open. Good for him!

Yeah but the story really isn't that special either. It's an OPEN championship. Any scratch golfer can go and make it by hitting a stride on the right day.

James

Yeah but the story really isn't that special either. It's an OPEN championship. Any scratch golfer can go and make it by hitting a stride on the right day.

I think it's special each and every time it happens because it's a hell of an accomplishment. Again, I don't see the point in over analyzing it. I just took it at face value as "Oh, sweet. That's pretty cool!". Everyone knows what the tournament is and understands the concept that an underdog player can play well enough to qualify to play in it. That aspect is made clear in the name of the tournament itself. It's still special though. If that was my friend, co-worker, family member or my son it would be extra special as well. Should my reply to them be "So what? Anyone could have made it if they played as well as you did"?

Yeah but the story really isn't that special either. It's an OPEN championship. Any scratch golfer can go and make it by hitting a stride on the right day.

It is special. Most amateurs that qualify for Open tournaments are young, college players, who are aspiring tour pros that play and practice full time. This guy has a full time job and bills to pay.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It is special. Most amateurs that qualify for Open tournaments are young, college players, who are aspiring tour pros that play and practice full time. This guy has a full time job and bills to pay.

He was an aspiring tour pro, and from the segment, he might still be...

He said he had just started working on his game again after his recovery from his injury. Interesting story nonetheless

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I'm sorry to all of you that basically just want everyone to comment "cool" For me the whole point of posting this information in the thread is to discuss and discuss we did why is it so bad to analyze or over analyze according to some? would you we just said "great!"?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

There was another guy a couple years back that qualified for the us open that had a putt hang on the lip but then fell in, you could see the initial let down of knowing you just missed a once in a lifetime opportunity to sudden elation, I think this story embodies the true spirit of the game and unfortunately the regular season should be more open itself but corporate sponsors will not allow it.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I just think some people would find it a lot cooler if it was someone like a lot of us. Someone who started playing in their mid 20s or so and wasn't very good and then through online research, reading forums, maybe a handful of lessons and hard work and dedication made it into an open championship. Unfortunately, I think everybody is going to have to wait a couple of years for that until ya'll read about me doing it. B-)

James

I saw this last night to, and thought how great it was for this guy to follow a dream. Like so may that get caught up in life, paying bills, buying food and never get to try a long shot, he is.

Now he can say what ever the out come he gave it his best no regrets. Sure anyone with a low HCP can try out but not everyone did, he did.

I agree why overanalyze this guy just wish him good luck.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Just saw this, that Justin Rose is simply a good man. https://twitter.com/JustinRose99/status/489150659745574913

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 3568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!