Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lifewitlooie

new guy

3 posts in this topic

Hi everybody. Im lew from chicago and I am looking yo improve my game so I am going to dabble on the sand trap instead of shelling out the $ for lessons which I so dearly need. I love everything about golf so I should get along just fine here.. watching it reading about it and most of all playing

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Welcome!  If you have any questions about using the site, check out our "Using the Site" section , and Little Things New Users can learn.

Here are some great threads to get started and familiar with The Sand Trap

Want to follow some bright people and some awesome members? Check out this article . Want to talk about more than golf or quickly find like-minded folks? Check out our Groups .

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • It sounds like you may just be overcompensating for the draw in your set-up. You know your stock shot is a draw, so you aim right; instead of making your normal swing, you intentionally play for a draw, and it curves even further to the left than normal.
    • You are a tad close. I would say the ball is about a ball width too close. When you move the ball away don't adjust to that by bending over at the waist more.  Even still, the ball looks to be in the middle of your stance. That is not a good ball placement for a 6 iron. I would say it's two ball widths to far back. Hover your mouse icon over the text A4 . 
    • Sorry we'll miss you, @Big C.  If this one is remotely successful, I'll try to see to it that one happens in winter (organizing it myself if I need to), and hopefully you can join us then. 
    • I do not like hot temperatures... at all.  Being from the northeast, if it got above 90 degrees, you'd find me stationed in front of the nearest window air conditioner.  Then I moved south and I quickly realized that if I took that mentality, I wouldn't do anything for 2/3 of the year.  

Last September, I played a round during a weekday at a local course in 98 degree temperatures.  As I usually do, I packed 2 frozen waters, 2 unfrozen waters and 2 sports drinks.  I had learned earlier in the year that I need 128 ounces of fluids, at a minimum, during rounds in warm weather.  I almost never walk (puts too much strain on my knees throughout a round and I can't move the next day), and that day was no different.  I took a cart and found shade as much as possible.  

I had been drinking more water than normal that day.  All 4 waters and the sports drinks were gone by the 14th hole.  No cart girl on the course that day.  I started looking for a water cooler on the 16th hole because I was starting to feel a little weak.  The only place I had seen to get water was at the comfort station between the 11th and 12th holes, but it was from a water fountain that had brown tinted water, so I figured I'd be find to make it the last 3 holes with no problems.  15 minutes later, after I hit my approach shot on the 17th hole, I told my cart partner that I'd walk up the path in the shade.  Truth was, I was felling really sick at that point and I didn't want to vomit from the cart.

I sat on a rock off the edge of the path and things got REALLY dark REALLY quick.  Sounds were muffled.  I was dizzy.  

The guys in the other cart stopped to see if I was okay.  I told them I wasn't and that I felt off.  I knew I needed water.  Luckily, one of them had a bottle of water in his bag and offered it to me.  I slowly sipped it and the other guy went to my cart and grabbed an ice pack out of my cooler so I could put it on my neck.  It took about 5 minutes before I could stand up.  

After putting out on the 17th, I considered just packing it up and sitting in the cart for the last hole, but I managed to play out the 18th hole.  Got to the clubhouse and drank a few cups of ice water and a Gatorade while trying to cool down.  

I was out of it for 2-3 days before I started to feel normal again.  I learned my lesson that day and now I will fill up my water bottles even if I feel like I 'have plenty' for the rest of the round.  It was easily one of the scariest moments, health-wise, in my life.  I was extremely lucky to have been playing with others that day otherwise, things could have been real bad.

Stay hydrated... stay in shade... and if you feel even a LITTLE off, make sure to get yourself somewhere safe and around people in a hurry.  As others have said... it will overtake you in a hurry.

ETA - By the way... I'm not in 'good shape' by any means, but I'm only mid 30s and not easily 'gassed' or anything.  It just hit me quickly and I wasn't at all prepared for it.  Also, the course I played that day is now closed.  I suppose that's why they didn't have water in the coolers or anything that day.  

CY
    • I won't walk above 95 deg. and only 9 holes max if above 85 deg. (I carry). Don't get too hung up on being in shape.   Dehydration recovery is also a mini race that your replenishment effort could lose. The 'water-ade' you are drinking may not make it fast enough to all of your body to make up for the sweat loss. So you can actually drink more than you sweat and still dehydrate (and have a bloated belly). Happens to people all the time - "but, but, I drank so much water..!!"  If the de-hy % exceeds certain amount then you could be in trouble. Sometimes you don't feel/recognize till a few hours later. Also, core temps take longer to cool down once heated up.   +1 to the umbrella recommendation. Priceless. Scores? IDK, don't think much difference but haven't paid attention to heat vs. scores before.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. chriswuk
      chriswuk
      (25 years old)
    2. Gero
      Gero
      (73 years old)
    3. SUPGolfer
      SUPGolfer
      (46 years old)