IGNORED

Being Fit for an Edel Putter

Note: This thread is 1501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a fitting lined up this Saturday afternoon (the fitter here in Atlanta has some great reviews from what I have seen), this is what I received after my first email.

" Thank you for your interest in Edel and reaching out to me. I have a studio in Suwanee that we can do the fitting at if that works for you. I can do it at either PGA if you prefer. The purpose built line is a little different than what you see at PGA. That is the Torque Balance line. The Purpose Built line is fully customized to you, the putters start at 395 for fully customized and once ordered it is about 5-7 business days before it ships. Please let me know what days work for you, as I would love to put you through the putter fitting process. It is truly a game changer."

I am assuming this includes the cost of fitting (I reached out to him for clarification)

His response: " Putters start at 395 plus 50 for fitting, if you purchase a putter I waive the fitting fee. The price won't go up but maybe 50 dollars for a pixl insert."

Neeedless to say, I am excited.

OK my putter saga continues ... told fitter #1 to cancel order. Emailed (Sunday) fitter #2 ... no response, so I called today and left a number ... still no response.

Maybe the golf gods just do not want me to have an Edel ...

Or maybe you need a more customer-oriented fitter who starts the Edel putter fitting  with the laser and aiming.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas Could you provide what an idea of what type of customizations options are available? (engravings etc).

Check out this thread:  http://thesandtrap.com/t/65459/my-edel-putter-fitting/150_30#post_973805

That's a link to my post, but scroll back to the beginning of the thread and you'll also see pictures of @tristanhilton85 's, @cipher 's, and @Stretch 's putters, among a few others.  You can get a good idea, based on the differences between those, which kind of things you can do.  Basically, just about anything you want in any color. ;)

[QUOTE name="Phil McGleno" url="/t/76214/being-fit-for-an-edel-putter/90#post_1160048"] Holy cow.Does that get rolled into the cost of the putter or no? I am sorry but there is no way his putter fitting time is worth $165 an hour.[/QUOTE] Sort of.  The  premise (as it was explained to me) is you pay for the putter and the fitting at the same time.  So if the putter costs $350 (including the type/model, stamping, finish, etc), your total cost is $515.  I suppose the fitting is worth what you're willing to pay for it.  They're the only "certified" Edel fitter in the LA area (except maybe Brent Mann, who per this thread apparently doesn't return phone calls), or driving to San Diego or Bakersfield.  I'd gladly pay $165 to avoid driving to Bakersfield.  That said, I'm guessing not a lot of attention will be spent finding out if my current putter is aimed correctly.

Meanwhile, I have friends in Bakersfield I haven't seen in a while, so maybe I should drive up there, see them, and get fit from the guy there... if there's some reason to believe that guy's better. On one hand, I have set aside $500 for the putter a while back (I set aside $1200 for golf-related stuff recently; I can't remember what the other $200 was for now though), so adding a bit to it isn't that big a deal. On the other hand, paying $165 for a fitting when others do the [i]same[/i] fitting for free doesn't sit well with me.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Meanwhile, I have friends in Bakersfield I haven't seen in a while, so maybe I should drive up there, see them, and get fit from the guy there... if there's some reason to believe that guy's better.

On one hand, I have set aside $500 for the putter a while back (I set aside $1200 for golf-related stuff recently; I can't remember what the other $200 was for now though), so adding a bit to it isn't that big a deal. On the other hand, paying $165 for a fitting when others do the same fitting for free doesn't sit well with me.

The concern is fair, and is shared by me.  Surely a private studio in LA has a high overhead cost that needs to be maintained, and I'm guessing that feeds the cost.  I will call Rob Gallagher (Edel rep) back today to revisit the issue with him, and will report back when I have more info.

I'd always kind of figured the putter operation would cost about $500, whether that's $165/$335 or $50/$450.  I will keep you posted.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

The concern is fair, and is shared by me.  Surely a private studio in LA has a high overhead cost that needs to be maintained, and I'm guessing that feeds the cost.  I will call Rob Gallagher (Edel rep) back today to revisit the issue with him, and will report back when I have more info.

I'd always kind of figured the putter operation would cost about $500, whether that's $165/$335 or $50/$450.  I will keep you posted.

Spoke with Rob Gallagher from Edel Golf.  The fitting is not included in the price of the putter, and they give autonomy to the fitters to charge what they want.  He did give Matt Mora a strong endorsement as a fitter, for what that's worth.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Spoke with Rob Gallagher from Edel Golf.  The fitting is not included in the price of the putter, and they give autonomy to the fitters to charge what they want.  He did give Matt Mora a strong endorsement as a fitter, for what that's worth.

That sounds right to me as Golf Galaxy did not charge me anything for the fitting and it took over an hour. My total was $544 for putter with insert and blacked, + tax.

Going to pick it up today. :dance:

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

That sounds right to me as Golf Galaxy did not charge me anything for the fitting and it took over an hour. My total was $544 for putter with insert and blacked, + tax.

Going to pick it up today.

Be sure to post a pic in this thread!

[QUOTE name="carrx" url="/t/76214/being-fit-for-an-edel-putter/108#post_1160415"]   Spoke with Rob Gallagher from Edel Golf.  The fitting is [U]not[/U] included in the price of the putter, and they give autonomy to the fitters to charge what they want.  He did give Matt Mora a strong endorsement as a fitter, for what that's worth. [/QUOTE] That sounds right to me as Golf Galaxy did not charge me anything for the fitting and it took over an hour. My total was $544 for putter with insert and blacked, + tax. Going to pick it up today. :dance:

Hmmm... now I'm thinking that a trip to San Diego to get fitted at the Golf Galaxy sounds preferable to the trip to Bakersfield.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Picked it up an hour ago, will post pics later today. I putted on their green for about 20 minutes. At first I pushed everything since I line up left with my current putter. After about ten minutes my stroke compensated and it was heaven. At one point I took 6 balls and hit to every cup around me ranging from 5-18 feet. Made all but one and the miss was a ball width right, which I will probably experience for a bit until my body realizes it doesn't need to compensate for aiming left!

Me happy.

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

Spoke with Rob Gallagher from Edel Golf.  The fitting is not included in the price of the putter, and they give autonomy to the fitters to charge what they want.  He did give Matt Mora a strong endorsement as a fitter, for what that's worth.

IIRC, the fitter I went through had a fee of $100 or something like that, but waived it if the putter was purchased.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Did my fitting this past Saturday with Scott Warman at his studio near Atlanta, GA. Process took about 45 - 50 minutes.

I am coming from an old generation, face balanced Odyssey 2 ball putter, and I am very right eye dominant so I tended to aim to the right a couple inches, I was only a couple inches "high". Looked at the different heads and went with the smaller mallet style. Side note: the round putting grip felt amazing. Once we got the loft and lie angle done, we went to the alignment lines. I ended up getting two line on the top, front of the putter, it helped me visually to get the feeling of putting my ball in between these two lines.

I can already tell I will need to end up practicing a lot, I have to get used to the way putter "looks" closed, but really it was dead online.

Went to the little putting green and worked on some 8 footers, it took a while to get adjusted to the lie angle, and then we added some weight to the club head. After that ended up doing some 20 footers to a hole. Ended up putting almost the max amount of weight in the handle. Once that was done and i was consistently getting pace right, we went back to the 8 footers. Took out some weight, and ended up sinking 8 in a row... after that I was sold.

Ended up with the putter, customization + the pixl insert for $445ish. I am excited, and hopeful that it doesn't take too many rounds to adjust to the new aiming (hard to get over the fact the club face looks closed, but really its on line).

I'll post pics in this thread when it arrives!

Did my fitting this past Saturday with Scott Warman at his studio near Atlanta, GA. Process took about 45 - 50 minutes. I am coming from an old generation, face balanced Odyssey 2 ball putter, and I am very right eye dominant so I tended to aim to the right a couple inches, I was only a couple inches "high". Looked at the different heads and went with the smaller mallet style. Side note: the round putting grip felt amazing. Once we got the loft and lie angle done, we went to the alignment lines. I ended up getting two line on the top, front of the putter, it helped me visually to get the feeling of putting my ball in between these two lines. I can already tell I will need to end up practicing a lot, I have to get used to the way putter "looks" closed, but really it was dead online.  Went to the little putting green and worked on some 8 footers, it took a while to get adjusted to the lie angle, and then we added some weight to the club head. After that ended up doing some 20 footers to a hole. Ended up putting almost the max amount of weight in the handle. Once that was done and i was consistently getting pace right, we went back to the 8 footers. Took out some weight, and ended up sinking 8 in a row... after that I was sold. Ended up with the putter, customization + the pixl insert for $445ish. I am excited, and hopeful that it doesn't take too many rounds to adjust to the new aiming (hard to get over the fact the club face looks closed, but really its on line). I'll post pics in this thread when it arrives!

Congrats! I am still struggling getting my guy (fitter #2) to answer an email, or the phone ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Congrats! I am still struggling getting my guy (fitter #2) to answer an email, or the phone ...

Not to paint with too broad a brush, but one of the themes running through this thread is the lack of consistent customer service with Edel.  It's hard to get some of the fitters to call you back, a putter shipped from the factory with incorrect customization (due to the factory not returning a phone call promptly), a website that is not up to date, and fitters who do not follow the factory fitting protocol.  For the prices they are charging, all of these details should be nearly perfect.  I run a small business, and there is no higher priority than customer service.  I realize that there are outliers, and humans make mistakes, but some of this is unacceptable.  I am still considering getting fit for an Edel, but my enthusiasm has definitely waned.

In My Grom:
Driver: Taylormade R1 10.5°
Fairway: Taylormade RocketBallz Stage 2 Tour 14.5°
Hybrids: Ping G25 3, 4
Irons: Mizuno 5-PW JPX 800 Pro

Wedges: CG-14 50°, 56°, 60°

Putter: Nike Method 003

Note: This thread is 1501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!