IGNORED

Being Fit for an Edel Putter

Note: This thread is 1500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since I was fortunate enough to have all the advice given in this thread I figure I should give back to the thread w my experience. 

I found out out that PGATSS did fittings and the fitter used to be a builder for Bocceri golf. They only offered the torque line, BUT the fitting was free so I got one. He was knowledgeable and I learned a few things. He gave me a sheet w the specs. To be honest though, I didn't like the look of the torque putters and I wasn't fully convinced it was noticeably better than my Scotty golo. Since he had nothing to gain from any purchase I talked through some options w him. Based on that I removed the 15g toe weight, shortened the shaft an inch, and added a 50g handle counterweight. He said that it wouldn't be as good as edel, but it would help me. 

I also wanted to get fit for wedges (will put in appropriate thread), so I worked out a deal w a fitter 45min away that isukgolf used to do both putter and wedges. I did that fitting last night. 

I really wanted to see how my modified Scotty stacked up to what the fitter was gonna fit me into. I also followed the advice in the OP. Although it was not as thorough as the OP fitting I trusted him to tell me at the end how my aim was without ever peeking.  I was about 5-6 feet away, but I fit all. 4 within the middle of cup w the head he gave me. Once the weights got worked out I had about 6 straight distance putts clustered really well. I was shocked. The distance portion was much better fit last night than at PGATSS. I must mention that this fitter only used the older style fitting kit w no torque options. 

Bottom line for me was that the putter almost seemed to do the work for me and even on a couple of mis-hits I was hardly penalized. The balance and feel was absolutely the best I've ever felt from a putter. Rolling my Scotty afterward from the same distance made me feel like the Scotty was a piece of junk!  Needless to say I had to order the putter. 

The wedges I ended up ordering as well bc I think they will help me in the long run, but I was much more impressed w the putter fitting and feel. 

I honestly think that if there is any one club you should get fit for it should be the putter. My mind is still a little bit blown away. 

• Upvote 1

yup.  it doesnt matter how well the putter is machined or made, or the type of steel used, or how much it costs.  how you line up the face is so personal that it needs to be custom fit.  no scotty is going to do that except by pure dumb luck.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

Dudes! Made a 2.5 hour drive to Roseville, CA for an Edel putter fitting this morning. What an awesome experience!  I saw Neal at Golf Galaxy.  He met me an hour before the store opened.  I am currently playing an Odyssey mallet. He picked the Mckenzie blade for me, and it turns out that three lines on the bottom works best. He also tried a different blade shape with a curved trailing edge, but I wasn't consistent with that shape (even with the three lines).  Going back to the Mckenzie had me aiming center cup each time.  he fit me to a 68 degree lie, and 1 degree of loft, with a 325g head weight.

The distance control portion was really awesome. Neal says I have a linear stroke (instead of radial). He noticed I had a slight hitting motion with my right hand. Putting 50 grams in the shaft at 5" down totally smoothed out my stroke. He tried adding additional weight at the butt end of the grip, but this was making my stroke choppy.  I was super happy with how the fitting went, and STOKED for my forever putter to arrive!

• Upvote 1

Heres my new flat stick. Hopefully Ill get to test it out this weekend.  The weather here has been ridiculous to say the least. 

P1010166.jpg

P1010167.jpg

P1010164.jpg

P1010165.jpg

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

Was your fitting done with a silver putter with a black line?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Just now, Jakester23 said:

Yes 

Okay.

Really nice looking putter!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Okay.

Really nice looking putter!

Why did you ask about the line and head color if you don't mind me asking?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

Why did you ask about the line and head color if you don't mind me asking?

I'll send you a PM.

Putter looks great. The Pixls look really nice against black.

A really nice looking putter!  I like the black.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

48 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

Heres my new flat stick. Hopefully Ill get to test it out this weekend.  The weather here has been ridiculous to say the least. 

P1010166.jpg

P1010167.jpg

P1010164.jpg

P1010165.jpg

Nice looking putter

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

5 minutes ago, isukgolf said:

A really nice looking putter!  I like the black.

1 minute ago, jsgolfer said:

Nice looking putter

Thanks I think Ill be able to give it a go Saturday.   I might sneak out Wednesday night after work to a local course and use their putting green.   I got it Saturday right after we got a few inches of snow. :mad:

4 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

I got it Saturday right after we got a few inches of snow. :mad:

That's brutal! Hope you get a chance to give it a go soon.  Putter looks awesome in black.

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator
20 hours ago, bwoody said:

I just got fitted for my Edel putter and the suggestions in this thread were very helpful. Thank you.

Thank you. Post pictures when you get it?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, bwoody said:

Will do. My fitter said about two weeks. 

It's often two-ish. They still tell us to quote 3-4. Like I did to @tlazzol today. :-)

Note: This thread is 1500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!