IGNORED

Best irons for a higher handi?

Note: This thread is 3487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What would you pros or near scratch golfers say are some of the most forgiving irons for a higher handicapper? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What would you pros or near scratch golfers say are some of the most forgiving irons for a higher handicapper? Thanks in advance.

I would say anything but a musclebacks. So really 80-90% of the market for irons. You are right in the primary target of majority of the golf companies.

If you go Mizuno I would look at the JPX line of clubs, maybe not the JPX forged.

Titleist only has the AP1's.

Rest of the companies, the majority of their clubs are for mid to higher handicap players.

From there hit the clubs. You wont get a feel for what clubs you like in terms of how they look and feel with out hitting them.

For me I like minimal offset, thinner top line, but not overly small clubhead size. Especially in the longer irons, I like a bigger clubhead with a bit more bounce and sole to help with turn interaction. This helps me focus on a small number of irons. From there I just hit some shots, see what produces good numbers versus how it feels. Then I make a judgement call on it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

GI- SGI are the best options for high handicap players.  Everyone has their own preference, so it's not a one size fits all.  Some GI clubs like the Titleist AP1 have pretty minimal offset and thin top lines which some prefer over the wider top lines and soles of SGI irons.  Some SGI sets substitute hybrids for longer irons, depending on the level of SGI you want, you can get 3h - 6h.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks for the replies. I play Ping G15's and they are very forgiving. I just wondered what other irons may be comparable, if I decide to upgrade my irons. I think I will go hit the AP1's.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Thanks for the replies. I play Ping G15's and they are very forgiving. I just wondered what other irons may be comparable, if I decide to upgrade my irons. I think I will go hit the AP1's.

I'd suggest you try the AP1's, Mizuno JPX-850, JPX-850 Forged, Ping G30 and Callaway Apex.

Joe Paradiso

If you already have G15's (with the right specs) you will not find anything that offers any more forgiveness than that.  Just add practice.  Preferably off real turf.

Agreed, Ping i range are great high launchers and super forgiving.  I tried the Ping i20's in the spring and they are a great club.  Not too chunky but plenty of help in the right places.  This years i25's look almost identical, but Ping only make subtle changes as a rule.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

Maltby TE forged. Anyone from scratch to 30 can play these. I'm a huge fan and wouldn't consider anything else after much trial and ultimate error with Mizuno, Nike, Wilson, and Adams. They are that easy and forgiving. I promise. And the cost is about $280 shipped new which is a steal. If you want stronger loft by 1 degree over the traditional TE get the DBM (Or DMB can't remember) which have a black finish. Have a buddy who usually is around par. I wish I found these years ago.

I'd go with the Ping G25 or Ping G30. They are good for high cappers or scratch golfers. I'm not too proud to hit the most forgiving club I can find. I understand the Ping K15's are even more forgiving and have a titanium face, so they'll last. They may feel a little hard though. Not sure.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

The g25 and 30 are pretty good choices. I spent the better part of the evening hitting them and they are very forgiving. Curious how they perform on the course.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I just started playing golf this past spring and I started of with some nike slingshot oss which are SGI and now I recently purchased some Mizuno JPX 825s and they are amazing. They are very forgiving and have great distance and some decent feel for a GI club. $499 from golfsmith and went from shooting 115-120s now around 100 consistently.

Driver-:cleve: 588 Custom 9.0   

Woods-:cleve: Launcher 3 and 5 wood 

Irons- :mizuno: JPX 825 4-GW

wedges-:cleve: CG14 60* and and :callaway: x series jaws 56*

putter-:nike: Method Core Drone

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I really like my G15's and hit them fairly well. If and when I do upgrade or break 80, I would most likely stick with Ping.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

I've got the 712 AP1's and they are awesome. I absolutely love the feel of the ball of the face of these clubs plus the sound is pretty damn satisfying too. I tried the G25's and didn't get on with these at all. Just couldn't hit them regardless of what I did and didn't like the look of the Ping Karstens (or their price!). But yeah, I quite enjoy AP1's and have seen my handicap come down steadily since I started playing these a few months ago. Having said that I took my a while to sort out the shanking issue I developed with these clubs but its been about a month since my last shank fest AND the last three rounds have seen me shoot my three lowest competition scores as well :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

Note: This thread is 3487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!