IGNORED

Divot Patterns at the Driving Range

GregoryShell
Note: This thread is 1598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A while back I was wondering about divots when practicing at the club I use, particularly regarding the area around the pitching green. You should of course always replace you divots when possible, but I wondered how or if you should leave a pattern or randomly pick spots when pitching. Pitching short distances doesn't normally create a big divot and often you can't even pick it up to replace it because the dirt and grass scatter and don't end up as a single piece that can be picked up. So when a grounds keeper came by I asked him whether I should just pitch from random locations scattered around my established area or in a series of for instance, 3 foot parallel lines about a foot a part. He said straight lines are better than random spots or large areas because it is much easier to sand or spot seed a few long lines then dozens of little divots scattered about the place. And that the grass will fill a long narrow line faster than a big divot area if only sand is used because the roots and runners will fill a long narrow spot faster than a big naked 1 foot square patch. That made sense and is how I do it. But the other day I was "confronted" by another club member and told that was not the way to do it. I should place the ball in different positions to form an ever widening spot so that a large squarish or circular divot area is created. And that once the area is a square foot or so I should start on another spot. I still use the line method but that has me wondering what is best as far as repair and recovery time. Of course if sod is used  squarish patches sound like the best method. But this place only uses seed apparently. Does anyone have an opinion in this?

He said straight lines are better than random spots or large areas because it is much easier to sand or spot seed a few long lines then dozens of little divots scattered about the place. And that the grass will fill a long narrow line faster than a big divot area if only sand is used because the roots and runners will fill a long narrow spot faster than a big naked 1 foot square patch. That made sense and is how I do it.

Yes on the range it's better to do this

than this

Another way to look at it

• Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And there is no need to "replace" divots on the range....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 5 years later...
  • iacas changed the title to Divot Patterns at the Driving Range

Large bucket.

9681A93F-47D3-4F95-BE16-7407E68E9D2A.jpeg

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
6 hours ago, mvmac said:

My pattern the other day 👍

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.46.37 PM.png

You hit the 17th ball in the left strip a quarter inch fat.

😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

One of the most impressive patterns I’ve seen was on one of the European tour 500 shot par 3 videos. Dude had like 10 3’ lines straight as an arrow

14 hours ago, iacas said:

You hit the 17th ball in the left strip a quarter inch fat.

😉

haha true

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Don't the "scattered" divots fill in more quickly than the rows or patches? I know they look terrible, but I thought I read somewhere that they resolve more quickly. 

Edited by colin007

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!