IGNORED

My Swing (No Mulligans)

No Mulligans
Note: This thread is 2897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got my Evolvr lesson back and my proirity piece is Key #3.  I'm working with Brian... good stuff.  I love having a priority.

The drill I was given to practice was the one below (even though this is a Key 2 drill, for me it was for working on Key 3).

I've been practicing it for 5 days.  It's hard for me to keep the club force from breaking the angle of my wrist that I want at the end of the swing.  There is quite a stretch I feel at the end of this drill, if I swing to fast it's pretty uncomfortable.  I'm doing it short and slow.

My instructor wants me to get my hands closer to my thigh when the club is still parallel.  This shows the original swing to the instructor (on the left) and where it is doing this drill (on the right).

At impact (as close as I can get with 30fps).

At finish position of the drill

I'm wondering if it's a problem that my wrist is bent back here and that makes it hard to get a flat wrist at impact. ?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Notice the difference in the positions of left elbow in the finish position.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I've been practicing it for 5 days.  It's hard for me to keep the club force from breaking the angle of my wrist that I want at the end of the swing.  There is quite a stretch I feel at the end of this drill, if I swing to fast it's pretty uncomfortable.  I'm doing it short and slow.

I would just add that you need to extend the legs some more into the followthrough. Knees are too flexed. This will help keep the angle from "breaking". If the hip thrust stalls (legs staying bent) then the club will "overtake" the hands.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Here's the end of a beautiful swing. The legs have straightened, the hands have rotated, and it looks like no compensations.

Julia

Spoiler

@mvmac thanks, I'll work on straightening the legs at the finish. @DrvFrShow, okay got it. Check out the first video I posted at post #19. I'm trying to emulate Erik's swing in that drill. This is a drill, where you try to hold off rolling the wrists.

@mvmac thanks, I'll work on straightening the legs at the finish.

@DrvFrShow, okay got it. Check out the first video I posted at post #19. I'm trying to emulate Erik's swing in that drill. This is a drill, where you try to hold off rolling the wrists.

Ah okay. Misunderstood. When you get to the point where you're looking at full swings again, Na has one of the nicest swings in the sport.

Julia

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I took some videos today and submitted them to Brian my Evolvr instructor.  As mentioned above I've been working on getting my hands deeper before release and Key #3, inline impact.  I think I've made some progress, I think I need to continue training to get my hands deeper.  Moving from the drill to the full swing has been a challenge, i.e. getting my hands as deep and as good of inline impact on my full swing as I do on the drill.

The DL swing is a good example for my instructor in that it shows a common miss of mine in that I strike the ball near the toe of the club.  I see some other things in the DL video that I don't like but I'm going to try to ignore them and let Brian give me my priority piece.

Videos taken this morning... FO into the morning sun, that's the best I can do on weekdays as it's dark when I get home from work.  These are with my wife's Samsung Galaxy s4 at slow mo setting, an improvement over the 30 fps of my iphone 4s.

Looking good!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for a swing to model after on my V1 software on my PC.  I'm not flexible so one criterea is that the swing is compact, i.e. not too far back on the backswing.  My other criteria is that the golfer has all 5 keys.

I'd appreciate some suggestions (especially from @iacas or @mvmac ).

This one looks like a possibility.

I love Na's swing. She doesn't do anything extreme or flashy. She's only 5'5" tall, and she drives the ball around 254 yds. She won the US Women's Open in 2012. She's said to have one of the best swings on either tour. My oblique muscle is healed now (yay!) and when the weather gets out of the 30s here, I'll return to the range and I intend her to be my swing model, and work on a centered pivot. Tower of Power in the second video didn't hurt.

Julia

Spoiler

I'm looking for a swing to model after on my V1 software on my PC.  I'm not flexible so one criterea is that the swing is compact, i.e. not too far back on the backswing.  My other criteria is that the golfer has all 5 keys.

I'd appreciate some suggestions (especially from @iacas or @mvmac).

What are you currently working on?

Mike McLoughlin

What are you currently working on?

@mvmac

My current evolvr lesson has two things for me to work on:

1) getting my left leg straight shortly after impact and fell that I'm pushing up or starting to jump right before impact.  (Mike, this is something that you have coached me on also, I've tried but haven't accomplished much yet)

2) Feel that my club and hands stay on path to the target longer at impact and after.  I make a quick turn to the left and my left arm is stuck to my side, we're trying to correct this.  I think I've made good recent progress on this.

I recently filmed myself trying to do this and made progress but was disappointed to see that I was losing my Key #1 that I had previously made progress on.  I think I need to stay focused on both my priority and not losing what improvments that I had previously made.

@mvmac

1) getting my left leg straight shortly after impact and fell that I'm pushing up or starting to jump right before impact.  (Mike, this is something that you have coached me on also, I've tried but haven't accomplished much yet)

2) Feel that my club and hands stay on path to the target longer at impact and after.  I make a quick turn to the left and my left arm is stuck to my side, we're trying to correct this.  I think I've made good recent progress on this.

I recently filmed myself trying to do this and made progress but was disappointed to see that I was losing my Key #1 that I had previously made progress on.  I think I need to stay focused on both my priority and not losing what improvments that I had previously made.

I would take a look at Zach Johnson.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

As I said above:

Here is a recent swing:

At this point my instructor wants my leg straight but I can't seem to get myself to do it, even when focusing on it:

Still not straight at this point:

Not straight until here:

Below left is today, right is the swing I submitted a week or so ago for my evolvr lesson.  I have made some progress, lead leg a little bit straighter, and my exit isn't so to the left and my left arm isn't stuck to my side.

I do not think you should be disappointed at all.  Your progress looks good.  I always have students who want to move on before I feel they are ready for the next step.  Sometimes they are not being challenged by me enough and sometimes they are just bored working the same thing over and over.  If you have read LSW (if not you should) recall the story of Dave practicing with the rubber tube tied around his body.  Hours, days and weeks of practice to change the picture.  It takes time.

Its hard to tell but is the head moving or rotating?  Remember Steady Head is a minimal move in both the back swing and downswing.  It is not meant to think the head does not move at all.

The head looks like it rotating to me because the shoulder turn is a little flat.  Take a look at the FO in post #26 vs #33.  Big difference there to me.

• Upvote 1

@Rob Thompson , Thanks for the perspective and encouragement.  And, yes my shoulder turn looks too flat which I believe was something I had worked on at some point.  I'm learning as I move along with priority pieces, there still is a lot of previous worked on elements to keep my eye on.  Quite the process and it sure is great to have video.

@DrvFrShow I too really like Na's swing, you were the one who originally pointed her out to me.  She looks right in line with what Mike and Eric teach at least to my partially educated eye.  The only thing I notice is she is not flaring her feet outward as they recomment (and neither does Michelle Wie).  But it looks like you could model everything else off of that swing.

Focusing on my priority of left leg straight shortly after impact.  I'm doing this slow, short swing focusing on straightening the leg:

Making some progress with the straight leg but got a bit of chicken-wing, I'll have to pay attention to that too.  I'm going to focus also on keeping the forearms close together to see if I can get rid of the chicken-wing.

Looks pretty good here, I think:

Note: This thread is 2897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!