IGNORED

Mac O'Grady Golf Clinic

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

MIke,

Can you point me in the right direction of finding some of the info that is out there about MORAD.  I am interested in reading more about it.  I know there is very little really but anything is better than nothing.

MIke,

Can you point me in the right direction of finding some of the info that is out there about MORAD.  I am interested in reading more about it.  I know there is very little really but anything is better than nothing.

I would recommend you contact Mac, you're not going to find any specific MORAD information online. Don't mention me or this website ;-)

http://www.macogradygolfschools.com/

All the good/practical Mac stuff has influenced what we teach.

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4088/swing-thoughts

Mike McLoughlin

Gary McCord Speaks About Mac O'Grady from Steve Patterson Golf on Vimeo.

I'm surprised no one commented on this. This is super entertaining and has some interesting gems. Gary McCord really spent some time with Mac O'Grady as he knows the technical bits pretty well. I always thought he was a bit of a clown, I have a lot more respect for him after seeing this in terms of being passionate about the swing and learning.

McCord talks about a visit to Ben Hogan, who had a few martinis. And mentions that another person in that visit said that Hogan didn't directly write many of his books, he just told someone what he felt and the ghost writer filled in the blanks. Who knows how true this is though.

McCord's term of endearment for O'Grady is Wacko. LOL.

Plenty of little bits about Wacko's eccentricities.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm surprised no one commented on this. This is super entertaining and has some interesting gems. Gary McCord really spent some time with Mac O'Grady as he knows the technical bits pretty well. I always thought he was a bit of a clown, I have a lot more respect for him after seeing this in terms of being passionate about the swing and learning.

McCord talks about a visit to Ben Hogan, who had a few martinis. And mentions that another person in that visit said that Hogan didn't directly write many of his books, he just told someone what he felt and the ghost writer filled in the blanks. Who knows how true this is though.

Glad you liked it. I still have to watch it :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Glad you liked it. I still have to watch it

I think you're really gonna enjoy this one Mike.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This latest one is the best of the bunch. McCord is not afraid to tell some of the secrets. I liked this one the best. After the whole Dr V putting thing with Gary I have trouble believing anything out of his mouth. I know this is before that but it lingers knowing that he can get excited about something without knowing the details.

Michael

I remember Mac O'Grady from the 1988 Doral-Ryder Open. What a foul, mean individual. I thought he was going to have a heart attack the way he was yelling at his caddy about one of his crappy shots. The caddy must have given him the club he asked for that over flew the green into a pond. :-) He barked at the crowd that gathered around his ball in the water.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I cant get any audio with the Vimeo. Anybody else have the same problem?

No issue with the volume.

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah, that was a great video. I'll definitely be watching it a second time. I usually find McCord to be pretty grating but he came across as very genuine in this. Really good information too.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Don't worry Mike, I will not rat you out to Mac that you are on this site!:-D:-D Thanks for the info. I really enjoy this site when talking about the swing and playing the game. The tone here is awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the videos Mike. I like the Gary McCord video the best for the information, although all of the video is old and poor in quality one can grasp the essence of his information.

What is strange is that McCord talks about pivot/body to hit the ball, yet many of the Mac influenced instructors talks about swinging the arms including Bender.

Back in mid 90's to mid 2000's, I took many lessons from Mike Bender and used to teach Mac's stuff using Jody Mudd swings. Most of the time he taught CF'ish swings with much emphesis on hands/arms and less/reactive on the body.(?)

What is strange is that McCord talks about pivot/body to hit the ball, yet many of the Mac influenced instructors talks about swinging the arms including Bender.

Back in mid 90's to mid 2000's, I took many lessons from Mike Bender and used to teach Mac's stuff using Jody Mudd swings. Most of the time he taught CF'ish swings with much emphesis on hands/arms and less/reactive on the body.(?)

Bender is a smart guy, he understood that teaching the CP pattern to the average golfer wasn't going to work. Bender has been very successful teaching a Mac CF pattern and he communicates it in a way that doesn't ruffle any feathers.

Mike McLoughlin

Bender is a smart guy, he understood that teaching the CP pattern to the average golfer wasn't going to work. Bender has been very successful teaching a Mac CF pattern and he communicates it in a way that doesn't ruffle any feathers.

Mike, Why is the CP pattern so difficult for AM's? Also, Mac was promoting the upper COG moving left with the lower COG on the DS back then. Does he still teach that? Seems completely contradictory to keeping your head back and would promote low bullets.

Thanks

Mike, Why is the CP pattern so difficult for AM's?

It difficult for everyone ;-) There are a lot of intricate pieces, you need a lot of speed and the ability to externally rotate your trail arm a good amount on the downswing.

Also, Mac was promoting the upper COG moving left with the lower COG on the DS back then. Does he still teach that? Seems completely contradictory to keeping your head back and would promote low bullets.

Yep the upper center will also transfer forward a little. With lot of players that try to go CP, low bullets are the typical result.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!