IGNORED

The Julia Plan: A 5 Handicap in 5 Years

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 3323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just because it sounded good. Five in five. I'm retired and I'm playing for my own enjoyment. I couldn't keep up with any of the women in the US Women's Amateur. They're young . Getting past the qualifiers is brutal in itself, and some of those women are shooting gross scores of 70. And it's a week long event. Make it past day one stroke play and it's match play for the rest of the week. Ouch. I'm 62. I need to take days of rest. And unlike local tournaments, they will drug test. I played for six months every day when I was 17. I learned the basic swing motion. I practiced. I broke 90. I'm fairly athletic. I'm quite athletic for my age, despite my injured state at the moment. I picked 5 in 5 because I think I can do it. It's a challenge. You know, I know my limitations. TBH, I'm going to be lucky to get to 5. I'll probably end up at around an 8 or 9. Is that a failure? No. I could still enjoy playing the game and enjoy with less frustration than I have now. But why is it that people say I'm limiting myself by saying 5 in 5? I'll be 65 when I get there. It's about being realistic. After then in all likelihood it isn't going to get better. I'll have to train harder to stay in shape to keep my distance. Then I have to remember the old woman at the gym who used to come in daily and weight train - she was 97 and they were pretty serious weights.

Well my hats off to you, and please.. don't let the "internet" golfers influence your aspirations. Your golf lexicon is certainly advanced for someone so new to the game I will say. (8/9?) listen whatever these odd Internet folks type, a single digit handicap is not easy and is hardly a failure. I run a a multimillion dollar construction company and I will tell you, your achievements are yours. Enjoy the journey and wish you luck. Age is only in your mind. You can do do it.

• Upvote 1

Just got back from the orthopedist. I have a bone spur under my patellar tendon on the tibia. Called "jumper's knee." Physical therapy = ultrasound and introduce exercises as it heals. Prognosis is that I should be well enough to begin with my golf lessons in about a month. I start PT next Thursday. It's the earliest appt I could get. So probably by the end of March I can start again.

The condition will flare up periodically, so it will be critical that I watch technique, and this is going to mean a swing change which I was expecting and thus starting with a new coach.

* if we're working with irons in my lessons, that's what I'll play my rounds with. I'm not going to worry about my scores this season. I won't even take my driver and FW to the course. I can still reach a par 5 in three shots with my irons. I can still reach my par 4s with a 5i + 7i. It's not that bad.

* when he has me move onto my woods and driver, then I'll incorporate them into my rounds, not before.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just got back from the orthopedist. I have a bone spur under my patellar tendon on the tibia. Called "jumper's knee." Physical therapy = ultrasound and introduce exercises as it heals. Prognosis is that I should be well enough to begin with my golf lessons in about a month. I start PT next Thursday. It's the earliest appt I could get. So probably by the end of March I can start again.

The condition will flare up periodically, so it will be critical that I watch technique, and this is going to mean a swing change which I was expecting and thus starting with a new coach.

* if we're working with irons in my lessons, that's what I'll play my rounds with. I'm not going to worry about my scores this season. I won't even take my driver and FW to the course. I can still reach a par 5 in three shots with my irons. I can still reach my par 4s with a 5i + 7i. It's not that bad.

* when he has me move onto my woods and driver, then I'll incorporate them into my rounds, not before.

Excellent prognosis and good to hear. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm prepared. I assume that since we'll be doing a fairly major swing change from what I was doing initially he'll just have me working with my irons until the changes are ingrained. So the plan is this once I recover:

* follow the instructions given for practice with my irons

* work on my short game, bunker shots, and putting.

* play the courses within the clubs I'm using in my lessons and practice.

* due to my injury I will have to limit my practice sessions and practice smarter.

* be patient.

Who knows? I may see the ball on the fairway more frequently and actually see my HC drop.

Julia

Spoiler

I'm prepared. I assume that since we'll be doing a fairly major swing change from what I was doing initially he'll just have me working with my irons until the changes are ingrained. So the plan is this once I recover:

* follow the instructions given for practice with my irons

* work on my short game, bunker shots, and putting.

* play the courses within the clubs I'm using in my lessons and practice.

* due to my injury I will have to limit my practice sessions and practice smarter.

* be patient.

Who knows? I may see the ball on the fairway more frequently and actually see my HC drop.

Not the fairway, but make more greens. That's way more important to better scoring.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Good luck, Julia! Glad you're sticking with it through the injuries. It can be frustrating, but you seem to be taking it in stride.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

And I also can use this time to read Lowest Score Wins which I just ordered.

Julia

Spoiler

And I also can use this time to read Lowest Score Wins which I just ordered.

Even better. You can also read up on the 5SK stuff on this site to grill your new instructor with questions. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I had a heel spur years ago and cured it with large doses of calcium. I also take lots of other vitamins, minerals and herbs. I would imagine your bone spur is very much like a heel spur. A sign of osteoporosis.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I had a heel spur years ago and cured it with large doses of calcium. I also take lots of other vitamins, minerals and herbs. I would imagine your bone spur is very much like a heel spur. A sign of osteoporosis.

That doesn't sound right. . .http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/heel-spurs-pain-causes-symptoms-treatments

I can see it being a product of "aging", but not necessarily due to bone loss?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

That doesn't sound right. . .[URL=http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/heel-spurs-pain-causes-symptoms-treatments]http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/heel-spurs-pain-causes-symptoms-treatments[/URL] I can see it being a product of "aging", but not necessarily due to bone loss?

I'm very much into homeopathic stuff. The conventional wisdom is that spurs are formed from deposits of calcium. Some may be, but with the typical lack of proper nutrition in our society, I believe it is due to the lack of calcium and leaching away of bone due to osteoporosis leaving spurs. Much like the erosion of land like out west leaving pinnacles behind. Another guy I know had real bad heel spurs and doing what I said helped him. In general, I feel a lot of today's maladies are due to lack of proper nutrition.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

That doesn't sound right. . .http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/heel-spurs-pain-causes-symptoms-treatments

I can see it being a product of "aging", but not necessarily due to bone loss?

I'm very much into homeopathic stuff. The conventional wisdom is that spurs are formed from deposits of calcium. Some may be, but with the typical lack of proper nutrition in our society, I believe it is due to the lack of calcium and leaching away of bone due to osteoporosis leaving spurs. Much like the erosion of land like out west leaving pinnacles behind.

Another guy I know had real bad heel spurs and doing what I said helped him.

In general, I feel a lot of today's maladies are due to lack of proper nutrition.

This seems a little counter intuitive as well, but you probably know more about homeopathic medicine than me.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Mine is the result of two things.

* The shoulder dip on the back swing putting stress on the tendon-bone junction.

* Followed by the snapping straight of the front leg at some point during the follow through.

* Also the repetitive Key 2 drill which when done smart is a great drill, but like anything can be overdone. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right? Wrong.

It is an overuse injury. At the first sign of pain back in early December, I should have laid off for a couple of weeks, but like any foolhardy athlete I used a patellar band to hold the patellar tendon in place. I did not change the technique that was causing the problem.

This type of injury is more prevalent in women than in men due to the angle of the femur, and the way that affects the entire knee joint. Mind you I have strong quads, and this also can be a problem with this condition. The tendon starts moving laterally across the tibial tuberosity and caused the bone to compensate and deposit calcium.

This is a painful situation. I do see two parts to this: 1) treatment - the flareup needs to be treated. Ultrasound may help the situation. It may not. 2) I need to lose 20 lbs. Losing 20 lbs will take stress off the knee joint. 3) Last but not least, I need to change the technique that caused the problem.

Addressing point 3 involves addressing the flaws in my golf swing. I don't have a problem with Key 2. The swing change will come from working with my new golf coach. And correct legwork will fix this problem and keep it from recurring. Hopefully.

Julia

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Well, 11:00 pm last night. Same burning sensation in the ligament over the bone spur as there was in the beginning. I made the decision that the bone spur has to go. I'll be making an appointment to get surgery scheduled. I'm done until that's done and healed. Depending upon what has to be done will depend upon how long the rehab will be. Given my luck, my first round will be in Spring 2016.

Julia

Spoiler

Well, 11:00 pm last night. Same burning sensation in the ligament over the bone spur as there was in the beginning. I made the decision that the bone spur has to go. I'll be making an appointment to get surgery scheduled. I'm done until that's done and healed. Depending upon what has to be done will depend upon how long the rehab will be. Given my luck, my first round will be in Spring 2016.

That would suck.

Here's hoping you have better luck than that and that all goes well with the procedure.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

From what I've read online about others who have been suffering with this condition is that it seems to get "shined on" and they'll probably send me on another round of PT and another misdiagnosis.

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 3323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!