IGNORED

2014 Gift Guide Suggestions

Note: This thread is 3587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Drivers (3)

Ping G30 Im hoping to get a chance to try this in the next few months I love how stable this club is designed. I know I don't hit the ball out of the center of the face all the time so I feel like Ping built this club for me.

Titleist 915 D2&3 I love the way this club looks and I like how adjustable it is.  I feel like everything Titleist puts out is high quality so theres no reason for me to expect anything else from the 915.

Nike Vapor  Im a big fan of the color scheme of these clubs and that was the main reason I didn't like the previous models of the Nike Drivers.

Fairway Woods/Hybrids (3)

Callaway X2 Hot.  Im currently gaming a 4w and two hybrids in this line and I won't be replacing them soon.  They are very easy to launch and are extremely forgiving on off center hit.

Irons (3)

Callaway X2 Hot pro's.  Im also currently gaming these irons and I love the mix of classic looks and forgiveness.  The are a nice mid launch iron with enough game improvement built into the clubs to help with heel and toe hits.  They look great at address and feel very soft for a cast club

Wedges (2)

Edel.  Im hoping to get a set of these wedges either next season or the season after. Im currently gaming Vokey's which I like but I feel like the customization of the Edel's makes them more user friendly then an off the rack wedge/

Putters (2)

Edel.  This is my next purchase.  I played with someone that has one of these and they are awesome.  The fitting process blows me away and I know once I have one of these I won't be needing another putter for quite some time.

Apparel (3)

True Linkswear shoes. I currently own 4 paris (2 pairs of sensei's 1 pair of tours and one pair of lyt breathe) They are the most comfortable shoes Ive ever owned.  I can walk 18 and feel pretty good when Im done.  I walked 9 with my old shoes and I had blisters on both of my heels.

Bags (2)

Ping Hoofer bag.  I currently have this bag.  I mainly like it because its camo. It a decent bag but I wouldn't want to carry it for more than 9 holes.  The straps aren't very comfortable but I will say I do like how the stand works.

Sun Mountain 3.5.  This was my previous bag.  The main problem with this bag was the dividers.  It was a nice bag to carry and I loved the way it look but it drove me nuts that it was hard to pull just one club out of the bag.

Carts (2)

Sun Mountain Speed cart.  This is the only push cart I have ever used so I don't know how much I can say besides it works.  It isn't to heavy and its easy to maneuver.  I like the 3 wheel design and I like how easy it is to fold up and throw into the car.

Laser/GPS (2)

Bushnell Tour V3. Ive had this rangefinder for 2 years and I absolutely love it.  I like that it vibrates when it locks on a pin.  Its small and is conformable to hold.

Garmin Approach G6 GPS.  Having used a rangefinder for a few years I didn't think there was any need for a GPS.  Well I played with one of my buddies who had the Garmin G6 and I was wrong.  I think there is a time for both a rangefinder and a GPS but when you go to a unfamiliar course the GPS is a much better tool.  The Garmin is something I will be adding to my bag in the future.

Accessories (5)

Kick X Z tour balls.  As far as a premium ball goes nothing preforms better than the Z tour.  They are as long as any distance ball I have used and they are just as good as any premium ball around and on the greens.

Taylormade Stratus Gloves.  I have been using these for a few months and I love how they fit and feel.  I also like the way they look and they don't seem to wear out as fas as the Footjoy's I used to use.

Pure Grip pro's.  I have these grips on all my woods and my wedges.  They are very sticky and give you a lot of feed back.  I love the fact that they are so easy to put on yourself and I like the different colors they offer. I will be putting these on my irons when the stock grips show any signs of wear.

Media - Books/DVDs/etc. (3)

Lowest Score wins.  Just buy it already.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Drivers (3)

Titleist 915 D2 Driver  ($$$) - There are always good things going on in Titleist clubs. They like to develop and refine the technology a bit before they release clubs, so you can trust that it's quality.

Taylormade SLDR Driver ($$) - The biggest innovation this year is now obtainable at a slight markdown. Not the most forgiving driver, though, so it's best used by mid to low handicap players.

Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 Driver ($) - Last year's clubs are marked down even further, which makes it a good time to buy some of the hottest clubs from previous years.

Fairway Woods/Hybrids (3)

Titleist 915 FD ($$$) - Again, Titleist makes great clubs.

Adams Super S Hybrid ($) - This is a great club. Easy to hit and forgiving. Plus, it's marked down.

Callaway X2 Hot Hybrid ($$) - High launching and forgiving. I might have to add one of these to my own bag.

Irons (3)

Ping G30 ($$) - I can't say enough about these clubs. I really enjoy them.

Mizuno MP-15 ($$$) - I'm a fan of Mizuno clubs. The MP-15 is a beautiful iron with a little more forgivness than a typical blade.

Taylormade Rocketballz HP ($) - I played these clubs for a while before I got the G30s. Great clubs and can be obtained at a pretty good discount.

Wedges (2)

Titleist Vokey SM5 ($$) - Offering a variety of bounce, loft, and grind options and backed by a solid reputation of good wedges. What's not to like?

Edel ($$$) - Customization at its fullest. I don't own any, but if I had the money, I would.

Putters (2)

Edel ($$$) - See above.

Scotty Cameron ($$$) - Any design. Scotty Cameron putters make great gifts because it's a household name. They're quality putters.

Odyssey ($$) - Plays like Scotty Camerons but at half the price. Lots of variety. The Two-Ball is a popular design and I used a #9 for years.

Bags (2)

Callaway Cart Bag ($$) - I like the 14-way full length dividers. Lots of compartments to put things in.

Sun Mountain Stand Bag ($$-$$$) - I think of Sun Mountain as the premier name in bags. You can't really go wrong with one of them, but the quality comes at a premium.

Carts (2)

ZTech Steel Pull Cart ($) - I bought one of these years ago, thinking I would have to replace it at the end of the season. Four years later, it's still good. Great bargain.

Laser/GPS (2)

Leupold GX-1i ($$) - I use an old Leupold and I think they're great rangefinders. Get one that's tournament legal.

Accessories (5)

Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ ($$$) - Eye protection from harmful UV rays, plus interchangeable color filtering lenses. The copper ones filter out blue light and let you see the ball better as well as contours in the greens. Flexible frame holds tight to your face, even while you swing.

Greenkeeper 4 Yards More Golf Tee ($) - Durable plastic tee. Has a stop that allows you to tee the ball up at the same height every time. I've used 2 in the last five years, only because I lost the first one.

Media - Books/DVDs/etc. (3)

Lowest Score Wins by Erik Barzeski & David Wedzik ($) - Great information, great value.

The Art of the Short Game by Stan Utley ($) - Comprehensive book on the short game

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If Santa's looking to maximize the bang for his buck in his gift guide (like I always do...), may I suggest:

- Drivers:  Some ridiculously good deals on 2 year old new drivers lately ... suggest the Nike Vr-S Covert or especially Cobra Bio Cell - going for really good prices.

- Fairways:  They're practically giving away Adams Super fairways online - tough to beat.

- Hybrids:  RBZ   hybrids are proven & most seem to like them.   Especially like the chrome RBZ version.

- Irons:  Its all preference with irons.  In the GI category ... I've recently played TM RBDZ, Titleist AP1's & Mizzy JPX825's.   The Mizzy's just work for me, highly recommend - they haven't come down in price and hold their value, but are worth it.

- Wedges: I'm really liking the Callaway V Forged wedges I've used all season - just something about them - highly recommend.

- Putters:  The best deal on planet earth is the Cleveland Classic putter line - great putters which should cost way more than they do, I have several.

- Bags:  All about personal preference ... I would rock most any cart bag, but has to have 14 slots and some COLOR.    I always like Ogio or Sun Mountain - top notch.

- Accessories:  I'm in the minority - don't care for the Super Stroke non-tapered grips (tried them) ... I much prefer the Tiger Shark oversize grips.   You may not know Super Stroke is owned by Tiger Shark, both brands have same texture, just the Tiger Shark has a more traditional, but oversize feel.   LOVE it...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Driver: Ping G30...Preferably a pink one. Big Bertha Alpha Hybrids: Adams Super DHY, Pro mini, or Callaway Prototype Utility Iron Irons: A second set of Mizuno MP64 (They make me want to get my O face on. Feel so good in the hands.) Ping S55 or i25 tested these at same time as the MP64 and really enjoyed them. I also have a Soft spot for Ping. Greatest gift a Ping Eye2+ 5 iron (my set was missing the 5 iron when I recived them) Bag: Sun Mountain carry bag. Accessories: 1. As many boxes of Srixon Trispeed Tour Balls you can find. (Love this ball) 2. Golf Pride multi compound grips preferably enough for two sets of clubs. 3. UST Recoil 110 shafts for my Ping Eye 2+ irons.

Wedges-Vokey

Putters-Odyssey Protype #9, year after year I try a new putter and always go back to this one! The Cleveland classic #1 is a close 2nd.

Apparel -Oddly enough Haggar makes a light pair of Khaki or black  pants that is better than the PGA brand golf pants. Same goes for shorts, Haggar! I have also found that the generic, microfiber polo shirts sold at Target can just as good a shirt as the high end Nike/PGA/addidas golf shirts!

Bags Anything by Ogio, they make bags and they make them just right.

Carts bag boy sc 525

Laser/GPS Garmin G6 (cant go wrong with this easy to use tool)

Accessories -you can never have too many golf tees, hats or umbrellas!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me if I missed it, but has the holiday gift guide been published, or is this thread going to serve that purpose?

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator

Forgive me if I missed it, but has the holiday gift guide been published, or is this thread going to serve that purpose?

Huddler failed to get a sponsor for it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!