IGNORED

Cutting the Cord…

turtleback

• Administrator
12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

This is why CABLE SUCKS:

• Commercials -  about 20 minutes for each hour.
  • Commercials
  • Commercials

My DirecTV DVRs make this a non-issue.

This is why CABLE SUCKS:

• Sh&*#ty F*$&#ing slow poorly designed set top box interface that shills 

I don't have any problems with this.

This is why CABLE SUCKS:

• Poor closed captioning options. White on black blocky pixels? Look at the closed captioning options streaming provides. Choose your font, font size, placement, etc...

Couldn't care less.

This is why CABLE SUCKS:

• Annoying animated graphics during the telecast. That annoying digital graphic on the corner.
  • Always have to be looking for hidden fees.
  • On Demand works poorly. Sometimes doesn't even work.
  • STB sucks more electricity than a streaming device.

None of those are things I care about. And I don't have to look for hidden fees.

Reasons DirecTV works well:

• Sports
  • DVR
  • Can stream my DVRed content outside my home
  • Can stream live content outside my home

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, iacas said:

My DirecTV DVRs make this a non-issue.

I don't have any problems with this.

Couldn't care less.

None of those are things I care about. And I don't have to look for hidden fees.

Reasons DirecTV works well:

• Sports
  • DVR
  • Can stream my DVRed content outside my home
  • Can stream live content outside my home

My experience w/Direct TV is when a storm comes, there's no signal and it wasn't like it happens once in a while.

I'm tired of fast forwarding through commercials on a DVR. And with the prices they charge, DVRs should be easier to use. DVRs eventually break (hard drive) and you have to exchange them. I just find the DVR to be a pain in the ass. It's so 90s.

You can stream DVR content outside your home, but you need an internet connection. Some streaming services let you offline to your device so you don't need the internet and use up your data plan.

I love having closed captioning with good presentation options. You get things you would have missed with closed captioning on. And I like having closed captioning in Chinese, Spanish, French, German, etc... I like exposure to different languages.

We all have our distinct use cases. The way I consume content, cable sucks. YMMV.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 9/17/2016 at 7:22 PM, nevets88 said:

Maybe this might help w/the audio: 

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Analog-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO

I used this the other way though, optical out from the tv to an ancient stereo but guessing you could go RCA in to the tv, and optical in to the converter.

I didn't think this would work the way I need it to. The coax from the antenna is audio+video and there and my receiver doesn't have a coax video+audio input (only radio). So it has to go to the TV. Most current TV's have an optical out, but both of mine do not, sadly. So usually I could just connect up an optical out cable to the TV and bring that to the receiver and get the audio that way but that's not an option for me. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I actually to just go ahead and sit down and play with some stuff lol. Turns out I can just use the R/W rca connections for audio out and do that to the receiver. That's fine for me for over-the-air content. Not like I'm going to be watching any movies that way. Even then I'm not really an audiophile.

So we're now setup with (2) roku 3's in the house, a matricom g-box 2 (mine), netflix, hulu, an HDTV over the air antenna, and shortly we'll re-activated our slingTV account since they've now added USA (a requirement of my wife...). 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

On 9/17/2016 at 6:22 PM, nevets88 said:

YMMV, but I'm fine w/just watching the videos on the website or its social media feed. GC puts a lot of video on its site. It may not be realtime, but recent enough.

Yeah I have found some rebroadcast videos on you tube that I play in my office on one of my other screens.

• Administrator
23 hours ago, nevets88 said:

My experience w/Direct TV is when a storm comes, there's no signal and it wasn't like it happens once in a while.

We get some bad thunderstorms and snowstorms here. And in Florida, I did, too.

I've lost signal roughly 10-15 times in nearly 15 years of DirecTV ownership.

I'm tired of fast forwarding through commercials on a DVR. And with the prices they charge, DVRs should be easier to use. DVRs eventually break (hard drive) and you have to exchange them. I just find the DVR to be a pain in the ass. It's so 90s.

I don't share that opinion. My DVR is plenty easy to use. I haven't had any break. DirecTV just sends me new ones when I need them.

You can stream DVR content outside your home, but you need an internet connection. Some streaming services let you offline to your device so you don't need the internet and use up your data plan.

I can download videos to my devices for offline use if I want, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I ordered a TV tuner card and antenna for my desktop yesterday.  I tried asking around if anyone used this stuff before but couldn't really find anyone, and internet reviews seemed mixed.  I guess we'll see how it goes, I'm mostly just getting it so I can catch an NFL game here and there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2016 at 4:17 PM, nevets88 said:

I use the 1byone 35 miles (the one in post above is 50 miles which needs power) and I would say its range is less than that.

Wirecutter recommends this, but I would go for a more powerful version.

Do you need a separate antenna for each TV?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

"ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount - 60 Mile Range" 

I believe is an outdoor which can be cabled to any exiting home co-axial cables.

I ditched services many years ago and simply connected the exiting outdoor antenna back to the home cable system already installed.

If your cable has a long run/length to certain location, the power/amplified systems should work fine for reception. EBay has tons of long range antennas listed.

cable info from antennas

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

37 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

"ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount - 60 Mile Range" 

I believe is an outdoor which can be cabled to any exiting home co-axial cables.

I ditched services many years ago and simply connected the exiting outdoor antenna back to the home cable system already installed.

If your cable has a long run/length to certain location, the power/amplified systems should work fine for reception. EBay has tons of long range antennas listed.

cable info from antennas

Cool, thanks.  Just need to convince my wife that this is a good idea to cut the cord.  been wanting to do it for a while.  

Plus we me living in the DC Metro area, i wonder if I could get away with an good Indoor HD antenna.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 9/19/2016 at 8:25 PM, Strandly said:

I ordered a TV tuner card and antenna for my desktop yesterday.  I tried asking around if anyone used this stuff before but couldn't really find anyone, and internet reviews seemed mixed.  I guess we'll see how it goes, I'm mostly just getting it so I can catch an NFL game here and there.

I bought one from Monoprice for a Windows PC and it works fine, the tuning and recording app is a little buggy and complicated, but it's a very low priced tuner. Usually they work just fine.

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

You do. A splitter would degrade the signal and then you have cabling to consider.

15 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Cool, thanks.  Just need to convince my wife that this is a good idea to cut the cord.  been wanting to do it for a while.  

Plus we me living in the DC Metro area, i wonder if I could get away with an good Indoor HD antenna.

Use tvfool to find out where the signals are coming from.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I bought one from Monoprice for a Windows PC and it works fine, the tuning and recording app is a little buggy and complicated, but it's a very low priced tuner. Usually they work just fine.

You do. A splitter would degrade the signal and then you have cabling to consider.

Use tvfool to find out where the signals are coming from.

This is what comes up, from my zip code.

Radar-All.png

-Jerry

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Not necessarily if the home is already cabled, which most likely homes would be if they are an exiting customer at any service which they intend to discontinue.

Also, it's not very likely a "signal degrade" would occur for the stronger local broadcasts in a metro area. I have a couple of stations which are weak, like a church or shopping channels which I never watch.

All major channels are very strong signal strength. Boosting a signal with the power amplifier will provide very good signals to multiple TV's in a home.

Many newer TV's can receive many channels with a small flat antenna which can attach to the back of a TV and are cheap in cost.

4 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Not necessarily if the home is already cabled, which most likely homes would be if they are an exiting customer at any service which they intend to discontinue.

Also, it's not very likely a "signal degrade" would occur for the stronger local broadcasts in a metro area. I have a couple of stations which are weak, like a church or shopping channels which I never watch.

All major channels are very strong signal strength. Boosting a signal with the power amplifier will provide very good signals to multiple TV's in a home.

Many newer TV's can receive many channels with a small flat antenna which can attach to the back of a TV and are cheap in cost.

Anyone tried DSL Extreme for internet access?

-Jerry

Here's a really good article for "cord cutters" which covers many online options.

1. Pros and Cons of Incorporating Internet in Your Home Theater
  2. The Difference Between Streaming and Downloading Media
  3. Accessing Movies and Music From Your Network or Online
  4. Six Ways to Incorporate the Internet into Your Home Theater System
  5. Roku Expands Media Streamer Line With 5 Models

Cord Cutting

• 1 month later...

I bought an Nvidia shield android gaming box and loaded SPMc (Fork of Kodi) and for a while I used free addons to stream all the sports channels but they get bogged down with lack of server capacity etc the streams are also un-reliable

I've since signed up to a paid for IPTV service for £1 week which has dedicated servers/admin support etc and I stream every sports channel going in 720 absolutely fine,

not overly legal, but im not overly bothered

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, carpediem4300 said:

I bought an Nvidia shield android gaming box and loaded SPMc (Fork of Kodi) and for a while I used free addons to stream all the sports channels but they get bogged down with lack of server capacity etc the streams are also un-reliable

I've since signed up to a paid for IPTV service for £1 week which has dedicated servers/admin support etc and I stream every sports channel going in 720 absolutely fine,

not overly legal, but im not overly bothered

would you mind posting a link?

In addition to TV Fool I also used this site tvworms.com to help with my antenna and also for a guide.

Will drop you a PM as dont want to break any forum rules, as ever i havent actually read them but just making an educated guess that piracy likely wont be allowed :whistle:

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style