IGNORED

RFKFREAK's Journal About Golf Past, Present, and Future

RFKFREAK

Nice one Freak :)

Id love to play bethpage at some stage before I move on to my next addiction!

Just as an aside. I've been watching a few of those "Obese: Dead within 12 months" shows out of morbid curiosity and the common theme through them is a lack of will power to make the changes required (because they have all pretty much ended up dead within a month of gastric bypass ops) and also its the people around them that keep feeding them their high calorie diets that keep them where they are. Mind you, when you get to the stage many of the morbidly obese get to it pretty much comes down to a change in their mental state that stops them from helping themselves.

Regards

Mailman

Yeah, I guess I'm lucky in that I have strong will power so that even if those around me are doing something I enjoy but don't think is in my best interest, I can rationalize it and not be led astray by my wants and desires.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well  the very fact we play golf is a good indicator we all have above average will power given how regularly our will to live is tested! :roll:

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Well  the very fact we play golf is a good indicator we all have above average will power given how regularly our will to live is tested!

Regards

Mailman

Haha, very true!

Christian

RFKFREAK,

I'd figure I put in a few encouraging words as fellow traveler.   Keep working on getting in shape, be it for golf or for health.   Keep practicing.   Keep loving the game.  And the improvement will come.   I say before 2015 ends, you will reach your goal.   Best wishes.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

RFKFREAK,

I'd figure I put in a few encouraging words as fellow traveler.   Keep working on getting in shape, be it for golf or for health.   Keep practicing.   Keep loving the game.  And the improvement will come.   I say before 2015 ends, you will reach your goal.   Best wishes.

Thanks, I know you're on a similar journey and wish you the best of luck, too!

Christian

The odd treat doesn't knock you off the wagon if you don't let them.

If you're so weak-willed that you can't eat one cookie without eating seven more, then yeah, eliminate sugar. If you can't stop at one PB&J; now and then and instead eat the entire loaf, then yeah, eliminate bread from your house.

If you're not a total push-over, though, these kinds of things always bug me. At the end of the day, it's still mainly a matter of ingesting fewer calories than you burn. If some of those calories are from sugar because it makes you happier and you enjoy life more, great. If you can enjoy life just as much without an occasional treat, good for you.

But… I hate the assumptions that run rampant in these kinds of discussions. Figure out what works for you, and go with it. Be healthy - don't just eat two Snickers per day because it gets you 1500 calories - you'll be hungry and you're not getting your nutrients. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a small cup of froyo or something now and then.

There are plenty of healthy people out there who eat some sugar, eat some carbs (pasta, potatoes, breads), etc. (And of course, many fruits are full of sugar.)

This^^.   Let me start by saying I am not a doctor or scientist, but I dont understand when people try to tell you, you have to cut out certain foods to lose weight.  If your main objective is to lose weight, eat less calories per day than you burn.!  I dont mean to come off as a d*ck, but it is as simple as that.

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

So, a month and a day into my journey I have lost 15.4 pounds. Seems like I'm on pace to losing 50 pounds in 4 months and (hopefully) getting stronger and in better shape.

It just dawned on me yesterday that I won't see any changes in distance for myself for a few months since I don't have a trackman or flightscope nearby for usage. I'm kind of excited to see how I'll be hitting the ball in the spring as I hopefully become a better ballstriker, too, although single digit temperature and snow doesn't lend itself to outdoor practice. :-X

Christian

So, a month and a day into my journey I have lost 15.4 pounds. Seems like I'm on pace to losing 50 pounds in 4 months and (hopefully) getting stronger and in better shape.

... and keep it down.

BTW, are you doing golf specific workout with your workout at home?   Just curious. ( I am focusing more on golf specific workout to increase shot distance.  )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

... and keep it down. BTW, are you doing golf specific workout with your workout at home?   Just curious. ( I am focusing more on golf specific workout to increase shot distance.  )

What golf specific workouts are you doing? I've been doing workouts that @Slice of Life recommended so can't say of they're golf specific. Including in the workout, I've also been running on the treadmill 2-3 times a week.

Christian

A few in the following link - http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/drive-the-ball-longer-with-our-golf-workout-routine

And some from here - http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/golf-weight-training.html.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

A few in the following link - http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/drive-the-ball-longer-with-our-golf-workout-routine

And some from here - http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/golf-weight-training.html.

If you're cool with it, I'd like to post this in the workout thread and see people's thoughts on it.

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

If you're cool with it, I'd like to post this in the workout thread and see people's thoughts on it.

Sure, the links are public knowledge.  In fact, I got them from a google search.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I do many of those in my workout.  Some are from Joey D's Golf Body and some are from physical therapy exercises.  They are good exercises to do as part of your routine workout.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I do many of those in my workout.  Some are from Joey D's Golf Body and some are from physical therapy exercises.  They are good exercises to do as part of your routine workout.

It'd probably wipe me out if I did these in addition to what my workout currently consists of, haha.

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

It'd probably wipe me out if I did these in addition to what my workout currently consists of, haha.

I'm wiped out just thinking about it. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, just had a gluttoness weekend of football filled with eating bad things and drinking booze.  Ended up puting on a few pounds over the weekend so today was time to get back to working out.

Last week it was super cold and now there's snow on the ground so can't really catch a break to bust out my net and hit into it so, just more mirror work.  I've also found that I haven't motivated myself since I got back from the holidays to go upstairs to a carpeted room to practice some putting.  The room doesn't have a tv and I like having the tv on to entertain myself while I practice putting drills.  I think I have to bring up my laptop and put on a movie or something..

Christian

RFKFREAK, You need to keep in mind that your body lays down fat over time, which means you don't just put on a few pounds over a weekend. Also keep in mind that not everything you eat comes out of you straight away. Food will take time to digest, which will give you the impression you are putting weight on when in fact you aren't. This is why many people caution against daily weighing of yourself and if you do then do only take in to account your average over a week. Your weight will quite naturally fluctuate up and down but it's what happens over a period of time that counts. Finally, the point if practice is exactly that...to practice. If you are being distracted by tv while practicing then you really aren't practicing. If you want to benefit then you need to concentrate. Regards Mailman

Mailman

Having played with 'da Freak several times, I'm not sure he needs the "golf specific" exercises, he moves plenty well for a bigger dude. When the weight comes off and the flexibility increases he'll be pounding the ball like a monkey on a cupcake. Keep up the good work, I can only imagine the struggle. I've been blessed with a good metabolism so it's hard for me to appreciate the effort it takes.

Colin P.