IGNORED

RFKFREAK's Journal About Golf Past, Present, and Future

RFKFREAK

Yup 6'2". I would have thought you weighed more than 215.  Do you know what percentage body fat you have?

I want to say 15%

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
Bump. RFKFREAK - no updates on your golf progress?

Sadly, no. A couple weeks ago I caught a cold and my work schedule has been crazy since I got better. So, outside of the five minutes or thereabouts of daily practice, the only golf related thing I can say is that my weight has stayed between 225 and 230 pounds.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 3 weeks later...

Played at a country club today where my friend is getting married tomorrow so likely won't play it again anytime soon.  Not sure why the scorecard said I played the Back Tees but played the Whites which has a CR/Slope of 70.9/125.

But the fact that I had never played it before had nothing to do with the absolutely dreadful back 9 I put up.  It's like I forgot how to hit the ball.  Outside of one drive on 11 that went 273 yards, I had drives of 179, 69, 172, 169, 157, and 97 the rest of the way, averaging 140.5 per drive, far below the distance I normally drive the ball. :pound:

It wouldn't have been so bad if my iron play was at least decent, but I failed to make good contact on virtually everything on the back 9 as my score would indicate as would the Game Golf link below in case anyone wants to see.

Any overall, once again, my putting sucked.

Very disheartened and not fun but I have a tee time tomorrow so hopefully today was a momentary lapse.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/435987

Christian

what's going on with the mis-hits from the tee? what kind of misses?

I feel as though I'm hitting them thin and they're going low and going from right to left (I'm right-handed).

Christian

Mate, I was just looking at your score card and noticed your even par on the par 5 third hole. You were going for the green weren't you with your 5 wood after your monster drive??? :) Do you think, and this comes down to course management, the less risky option was a lay up to give yourself a full wedge shot in instead of playing a half shot from 50 odd yards? Also, what do you think is the cause of your back nine collapse? Have you identified anything in particular and what are you doing to address that fault? Regards Mailman

Mailman

Also fulla, how did your next round go? Another question for you, do you have a 3 wood in your bag? For me, I'm finding this club coming in to play on 11 of 14 holes now as my game and distances off the tee have improved (and provides a safety net as my driver is now too big a club for the tightness of my home course). Regards Mailman

Mailman

• Administrator

Do you think, and this comes down to course management, the less risky option was a lay up to give yourself a full wedge shot in instead of playing a half shot from 50 odd yards?

No. No. No.

Absolutely not. "Lay up to a full wedge shot" needs to die, and I've done my part to kill it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting, I'm all ears on this one. Do you think it's better for us high handicappers to pull out long irons, hybrids, fairway woods and go for that 280 yard shot instead of two wedges in to the green? Seems counter intuitive so I'm very interested in your view on this (so I can take your advice and incorporate it into my game:) Regards Mailman

Mailman

Interesting, I'm all ears on this one.

Do you think it's better for us high handicappers to pull out long irons, hybrids, fairway woods and go for that 280 yard shot instead of two wedges in to the green?

Seems counter intuitive so I'm very interested in your view on this (so I can take your advice and incorporate it into my game:)

Regards

Mailman

Have you read Lowest Score Wins? Worth the investment, it's all there in one convenient place.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yup, got it but would really like to hear it direct from the boss himself :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

Yup, got it but would really like to hear it direct from the boss himself :) Regards Mailman

The "boss" wrote it. There is also a fairly substantial thread on this particular aspect as well. A little long but the topic is thoroughly covered here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/78188/is-distance-really-that-important-for-amateurs/0_100

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The "boss" wrote it. There is also a fairly substantial thread on this particular aspect as well. A little long but the topic is thoroughly covered here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/78188/is-distance-really-that-important-for-amateurs/0_100

Yeah, this topic has been beaten to death on more occasions than we'd care to count. It's definitely one of TST's greatest hits.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

That's great Ernest but I'd prefer to hear it direct from the horses mouth, for want of a better term :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

That's great Ernest but I'd prefer to hear it direct from the horses mouth, for want of a better term :) Regards Mailman

The "horse's mouth" has spoken, at great length, in the thread I posted.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I'm sure he is big and ugly enough to answer a simple question without the need for you to defend him sheesh. Mailman

Mailman